Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:04:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Best Digital Currency  (Read 2882 times)
fredthegambler (OP)

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 07:30:21 AM

In the state of bitcoin now and the issues sorrounding it, is it still the best digital currency to date?
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2014, 08:30:40 AM

I think ripple will have something to say about it...

asdlolciterquit

Activity: 1666
Merit: 565

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 08:39:40 AM

In the state of bitcoin now and the issues sorrounding it, is it still the best digital currency to date?

best...in which way?
icet208

Activity: 762
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 09:24:48 AM

Bitcoin will always remain the "best" digital currency. It is already very popular, it has a few years of "experience", improvement. No other crypto(at least at this moment) had come with an idea that can mach the blockchain technology(even if a new crypto will come with such an idea , BTC can adopt it)
oceans

Activity: 406

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 09:45:35 AM

I personally myself feel that bitcoin as of right now is the best digital currency due to the fact it's been out more in which case it has more potential with it already having the basics worked out. You take another currency that has not been around for as long as bitcoin and it's guaranteed to have more problems than bitcoin has now meaning calling it the best would be wrong.
Moonway99

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 09:52:15 AM

Bitcoin and litecoin are the most stable cryptocurrencies.
giveBTCpls

Activity: 322

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 03:37:34 PM

Bitcoin will always remain the "best" digital currency. It is already very popular, it has a few years of "experience", improvement. No other crypto(at least at this moment) had come with an idea that can mach the blockchain technology(even if a new crypto will come with such an idea , BTC can adopt it)
This. Even the developers (BTC devs) have said that they will literally copy anything that can treat Bitcoins hegemony, but no one has come up with something really worth copying.
And no other coin is going ever having to have the network effect of BTC.

TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 03:56:27 PM

Quantity has a quality all its own.

digitalindustry

Activity: 798

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2014, 04:26:02 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/stellar-ripple-hyperledger-rivals-bitcoin-proof-work/

at least someone is talking about the central authority and the possible global Id.

phew ! finally .

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 04:44:11 PM

it is and it will be
revolutionary things don't happen every day
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 04:50:21 PM

I still think BTC is king. The alts, that are not scams, try to fix things that are not problems and offer no new ideas. They are often script kitty versions of Satoshi's code. Only litecoin has any cred that I can see.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Verse

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 05:10:15 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/stellar-ripple-hyperledger-rivals-bitcoin-proof-work/

at least someone is talking about the central authority and the possible global Id.

phew ! finally .
PoW creates negative externalities. Bitcoin can only be held responsible for these externalities if, like blood diamonds, a public movement is used to decrease demand and therefore price. However a cryptocurrency's uses as a payment processor and therefore its value is directly tied to its price. Therefore it is highly unlikely for Bitcoin to be unseated because:

A) The majority of mining costs are sunk, the daily money saved transacting in Bitcoin (relative to credit cards, ect...) can offset mining's daily environmental damages (unless you're an eco-nut, in which case you should be picking a fight with China not Bitcoin.) Furthermore as coinbase decreases and miners are unable to exert upwards pricing pressure on fees we will likely see these external costs decrease.

B) An alternative currency cannot easily subsume Bitcoin's uses due to valuation induced demand (wire transfers for S&P 500 companies can only occur above X exchange rate and volume.)

C) The black market feels no shame, some users will not easily convert from Bitcoin. Systems resist change.

I do not view "green" cryptocurrencies as a threat to Bitcoin; and Bitcoin can simply subsume any other beneficial altcoin adaptations.
Window2Wall

Activity: 191
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 05:12:07 PM

I still think BTC is king. The alts, that are not scams, try to fix things that are not problems and offer no new ideas. They are often script kitty versions of Satoshi's code. Only litecoin has any cred that I can see.
The alt coins are a scam. They are just a way for their owners to make money off of the idea of bitcoin (they just make a few very minor changes)
icet208

Activity: 762

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 06:03:47 PM

Indeed many (allmoust all altcoins) are just pump&dump coins; but it`s a good way to test this new technology and find out new thinks, and apply to Bitcoin if it`s a good idea.
BrannigansLaw

Activity: 603

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 06:04:23 PM

I like Gridcoin, but that is the only alt coin I've seen which offers any real kind of improvement. Hashing power doesn't go to waste but goes through BOINC instead. http://boinc.berkeley.edu/
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 07:27:08 PM

Bitcoin ./
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 07:36:34 PM

People in this thread seem to be under the impression that altcoins are a scam and no new technology has been developed. That might have been true last year but 2014 has been a revolutionary year so far for altcoins.

It's probably worth exploring further if you're interested. Lots of smart people building interesting projects.
llanillo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 07:38:44 PM

There some cryptocurrencies that are famous but i would say Bitcoin still the best

TIDEX ▬▬ .CRYPTO COINS AND ASSET TRADING. ▬▬ TIDEX
▬▬▰▰▬▬▰▰▰▬▬▰▰▰▬▬▰▰▰▬▬▰▰▬▬
NEW EXCHANGE   ZERO FEES
keyxkey

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 08:10:58 PM

Ripple is a nice contender for the first place among crypto currencies, but everyone here seems to hate it because of its premine.
pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 08:11:16 PM

Bitcoin is by far the leader in terms of its ecosystem and current utility. It offers significant improvements over fiat for some applications, and it is far more liquid than other digital currencies. I am expecting Bitcoin to continue to increase in adoption, and to incorporate some technological improvements and new features, but perhaps not as quickly as it has in the past.

I personally have also invested in Monero, because I think CryptoNote currencies may offer greater financial privacy than Bitcoin and I think that there is untapped demand for financial privacy. Compared to the CryptoNote alternatives, Monero seems more likely to survive, be widely adopted, and be responsibly developed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: