Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 08:31:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you want your (new) company blogging about?  (Read 2299 times)
matthewh3 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 09:43:10 PM

I write this blog - http://glbse.blogspot.co.uk/ - which has had nearly 4000 unique hits since it was created in mid-February.  Do you want your (new) company blogging about sooner rather than later?  If so please contact me with info on your company.  Micro donations of shares and/or BTC are welcomed.  Thanks  Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 10:25:52 PM

I write this blog - http://glbse.blogspot.co.uk/ - which has had nearly 4000 unique hits since it was created in mid-February.  Do you want your (new) company blogging about sooner rather than later?  If so please contact me with info on your company.  Micro donations of shares and/or BTC are welcomed.  Thanks  Smiley

What the.

An apoligy
I would like to apologise on not updating this bog as often as I would like as there has recently been a big sprout of new company's to inform you of.  Although I have been busy seeting up my own GLBSE listed mining company Red Star Mining.  We still have over 600 shares in RSM at 0.4BTC that will pay a weekly dividend of over 0.0040BTC per week once sold.  So get in there and look out for more posts Wink

matthewh3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 10:29:35 PM

What the.

An apoligy
I would like to apologise on not updating this bog as often as I would like as there has recently been a big sprout of new company's to inform you of.  Although I have been busy seeting up my own GLBSE listed mining company Red Star Mining.  We still have over 600 shares in RSM at 0.4BTC that will pay a weekly dividend of over 0.0040BTC per week once sold.  So get in there and look out for more posts Wink

Whoops shouldn't bog/blog after drinking.  Thanks for picking that up  Wink  I usually do proof read them but often after I've posted it  Undecided

but I think the apologise is spelt correct.

terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 10:30:06 PM

What the.

An apoligy
It's the thought that counts!
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 10:31:42 PM

Both are correct, I would assume Matthew would be more exposed to "apologize". Apologise is predominant in Great Britain.

Fucking Brits, always have to do things their way.
matthewh3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 10:33:23 PM

What the.

An apoligy
It's the thought that counts!

Thanks and its been fixed.  Prose and grammar were never my strong point.  When I wrote blogs for people in the past I send them a copy before its posted to make sure their happy with it first.

matthewh3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 10:37:33 PM

Both are correct, I would assume Matthew would be more exposed to "apologize". Apologise is predominant in Great Britain.

As English is the language of England I presume the English way of spelling English is correct.  Those rebel colonists are worse then me at writing.  Tho Isaac Asimov and Philip K Dick were my favourite writers.   

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 12:13:03 AM

As English is the language of England I presume the English way of spelling English is correct.  Those rebel colonists are worse then me at writing.  Tho Isaac Asimov and Philip K Dick were my favourite writers.   

Hehe. I dunt knoe wut ur talkin abut!

vragnaroda

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 12:15:29 AM

As English is the language of England I presume the English way of spelling English is correct.  Those rebel colonists are worse then me at writing.  Tho Isaac Asimov and Philip K Dick were my favourite writers.    

Actually, no, you have your derivations wrong: English arose as the language of the Angles, people from Angeln, who later settled in England and gave that godforsaken land its name. The people living in England are no more entitled to claim purity to the language than the speakers of it that live in other parts of the world, who are as much the descendants and heirs of the earliest speakers of it.

As for the spelling of the suffix -ize/-ise, you don't spell it the English way; you spell it the French way (which I think says something more about you, too, but we'll leave that for another day): it comes from the Greek -ιζειν, which became -izāre in Latin and -ize in English.  In the 19th Century, -ise became popular in the UK due to French influence.

Quote from: OED
In mod.F. the suffix has become -iser, alike in words from Greek, as baptiser, évangéliser, organiser, and those formed after them from L., as civiliser, cicatriser, humaniser. Hence, some have used the spelling -ise in Eng., as in French, for all these words, and some prefer -ise in words formed in French or Eng. from L. elements, retaining -ize for those of Gr. composition. But the suffix itself, whatever the element to which it is added, is in its origin the Gr. -ιζειν, L. -izāre; and, as the pronunciation is also with z, there is no reason why in English the special French spelling should be followed, in opposition to that which is at once etymological and phonetic. In this Dictionary the termination is uniformly written -ize. (In the Gr. -ιζ-, the i was short, so originally in L., but the double consonant z (= dz, ts) made the syllable long; when the z became a simple consonant, (-idz) became īz, whence Eng. (-aɪz).)

While -ise may be the more popular English-people way of spelling that suffix, -ize is not a worse English-language way of spelling it.

Also, *though for fuck's sake (what are you, 13?) and *{spelt|spelled} correctly.
matthewh3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2012, 12:24:43 AM

As English is the language of England I presume the English way of spelling English is correct.  Those rebel colonists are worse then me at writing.  Tho Isaac Asimov and Philip K Dick were my favourite writers.    

Actually, no, you have your derivations wrong: English arose as the language of the Angles, people from Angeln, who later settled in England and gave that isle its name. The people living in England are no more entitled to claim purity to the language than the speakers of it that live in other parts of the world, who are as much the descendants and heirs of the earliest speakers of it.

As for the spelling of the suffix -ize/-ise, you don't spell it the English way; you spell it the French way (which I think says something more about you, too, but we'll leave that for another day): it comes from the Greek -ιζειν, which became -izāre in Latin and -ize in English.  In the 19th Century, -ise became popular in the UK due to French influence.

Quote from: OED
n mod.F. the suffix has become -iser, alike in words from Greek, as baptiser, évangéliser, organiser, and those formed after them from L., as civiliser, cicatriser, humaniser. Hence, some have used the spelling -ise in Eng., as in French, for all these words, and some prefer -ise in words formed in French or Eng. from L. elements, retaining -ize for those of Gr. composition. But the suffix itself, whatever the element to which it is added, is in its origin the Gr. -ιζειν, L. -izāre; and, as the pronunciation is also with z, there is no reason why in English the special French spelling should be followed, in opposition to that which is at once etymological and phonetic. In this Dictionary the termination is uniformly written -ize. (In the Gr. -ιζ-, the i was short, so originally in L., but the double consonant z (= dz, ts) made the syllable long; when the z became a simple consonant, (-idz) became īz, whence Eng. (-aɪz).)

While it may be the popular English-people way of spelling that suffix, it is not a worse English-language way of spelling it.

Also, *though for fuck's sake (what are you, 13?) and *{spelt|spelled} correctly.

OK then yes the Angles helped bring about the name England and English from Angleland and Anglish but the English language deviates from old and middle German like Frisian.  Frisian is the closest foreign language to English.  Everywhere in the world where English is spoken was spread by agents of the king or Queen of England.  So England's English is the oldest and most correct form of the Germanic language of English.  No I'm not thirteen but thirty-two tho I am dyslexic but have studied Fourier Transforms and Matrix Calculus as a student.  So you may laugh at my language skills but at least I can count.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2012, 12:35:49 AM

Tho Isaac Asimov and Philip K Dick were my favourite writers.   
Nice.  I have a complete PKD collection including many first editions, rare doubles, working scripts for Total Recall, etc.  The license plate on my truck is VALIS.

A lot of people do not realize that all of the following, mostly excellent movies are based on his work:

Code:
Blade Runner          - based on "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep"
Total Recall (1990)   - based on "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale"
Screamers             - based on "Second Variety"
Minority Report       - based on "The Minority Report"
Imposter              - based on "Impostor"
Paycheck              - based on "Paycheck"
A Scanner Darkly      - based on "A Scanner Darkly"
Next                  - based on "The Golden Man"
Radio Free Albemuth   - based on "Radio Free Albemuth"
The Adjustment Bureau - based on "Adjustment Team"
Total Recall (2012)   - based again on "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale"

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
vragnaroda

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 12:48:40 AM

OK then yes the Angles helped bring about the name England and English from Angleland and Anglish but the English language deviates from old and middle German like Frisian.  Frisian is the closest foreign language to English.  Everywhere in the world where English is spoken was spread by agents of the king or Queen of England.  So England's English is the oldest and most correct form of the Germanic language of English.  No I'm not thirteen but thirty-two tho I am dyslexic but have studied Fourier Transforms and Matrix Calculus as a student.  So you may laugh at my language skills but at least I can count.

No, no, no.  Modern English comes from Middle English, which comes from Old English, which comes from Proto-Germanic, not German.  What you count as a foreign language or as a separate dialect is a political question, not a linguistic one.  See Scots for an example of a debated one that's either a dialect of English or another language.

As for “England's English” being the “oldest,” you could make that argument but not of Modern English English.  The speakers of the oldest variety of English have been dead for more than a millennium and speakers in England are not any closer to ancestral varieties than native speakers elsewhere.  I'm not sure how you conflate oldest with most correct, but English English isn't older.  It's not like a seed was planted in North America and in Oceania that grew up into some new species of English language with some minor mutations that are still understandable.  Any variety of English can be traced back to PIE.

British varieties of English aren't even, generally speaking, conservative.  (An often exaggerated claim is that for that, you need to go to the Ozarks or Appalachia but that's mostly lexical, not grammatical and certainly not orthographic.)

Spread by agents of the king or Queen of England?  (Also, nice capitalization scheme there.)  Nope.  Sorry, but not everyone that departed that isle was an agent of the king.  Most were not.  (Subjects, you could argue until the late 18th Century, but not even that if you count Scots as just a dialect of English (the United Kingdom didn't exist until 1707 and if you count from the union of the crowns (James VI and I), that's 1603, but agents of the man himself rather than agents of the institution would be a much harder claim to support.)
matthewh3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2012, 12:58:42 AM

No, no, no.  Modern English comes from Middle English, which comes from Old English, which comes from Proto-Germanic, not German.  What you count as a foreign language or as a separate dialect is a political question, not a linguistic one.  See Scots for an example of a debated one that's either a dialect of English or another language.

As for “England's English” being the “oldest,” you could make that argument but not of Modern English English.  The speakers of the oldest variety of English have been dead for more than a millennium and speakers in England are not any closer to ancestral varieties than native speakers elsewhere.  I'm not sure how you conflate oldest with most correct, but English English isn't older.  It's not like a seed was planted in North America and in Oceania that grew up into some new species of English language with some minor mutations that are still understandable.  Any variety of English can be traced back to PIE.

British varieties of English aren't even, generally speaking, conservative.  (An often exaggerated claim is that for that, you need to go to the Ozarks or Appalachia but that's mostly lexical, not grammatical and certainly not orthographic.)

Spread by agents of the king or Queen of England?  (Also, nice capitalization scheme there.)  Nope.  Sorry, but not everyone that departed that isle was an agent of the king.  Most were not.  (Subjects, you could argue until the late 18th Century, but not even that if you count Scots as just a dialect of English (the United Kingdom didn't exist until 1707 and if you count from the union of the crowns (James VI and I), that's 1603, but agents of the man himself rather than agents of the institution would be a much harder claim to support.)

Well I own a English bible from before any of the UK colony's nationhood and it say's colour and all words like capitalisation are spelt in the French tone not Yankee.

vragnaroda

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 02:12:42 AM

Well I own a English bible from before any of the UK colony's nationhood and it say's colour and all words like capitalisation are spelt in the French tone not Yankee.

Does it use the grocer's apostrophe, too?
matthewh3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2012, 02:27:58 AM

Does it use the grocer's apostrophe, too?

Don't know I'm not a language expert or a "grammar Nazi" my blog is more about numbers, figures and directions.  Inbox me with info about your company if you want it listing accurately.

DeaDTerra
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 08:32:18 AM

On Monday more info is released about the new asset ZipConf, for the pre released info check https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74975.msg873084#msg873084
If you want to write a blog post about us I would be more then happy to answer all your questions Smiley
//DeaDTerra
matthewh3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2012, 05:06:35 PM

On Monday more info is released about the new asset ZipConf, for the pre released info check https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74975.msg873084#msg873084
If you want to write a blog post about us I would be more then happy to answer all your questions Smiley
//DeaDTerra

OK I'll check it out tomorrow and send you a draft before its posted later in the week.  Don't forget to check out my donation address if you are happy with the post.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: