Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:04:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SR $100k+ bitcoin scam  (Read 9015 times)
lolbillyidol (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 10:37:30 AM

Some guy managed to scam a huge amount of bitcoins on 4/20 'sale weekend' where the site doesn't charge escrow fees, so there's a crazy amount of orders. Tony, their so-called Top #1 selling vendor decided to make hundreds of listings that were auto finalized instantly then disappeared. The estimated loss is at least 100k in bitcoins. Has to be the biggest bitcoin scam of all time, even better than the 643BTC that guy goxxed out of MtGox back in 2011. (allinvain huge loss doesn't count, never was any proof). He also lured fools off site to scam an unknown amount through a secret store he set up.

TONY 2012 - invisible drugs

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Wiz Khalifa

Activity: 26

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2012, 05:41:18 PM

If this is real damn bro that is crazy.  Shocked
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 06:30:54 PM

why would mt. gox's june hack count but allinvain's claim of coins stolen don't?  allinvain's was a bigger amount, in terms of dollars, but not the biggest in actual bitcoins involved.  that prize goes to the linode hacking.   bitcoinica alone had 40k bitcoins stolen and add to that was smaller chunks from slush and others at the same time.  more than $200k u.s. dollars worth at the time.

sr can probably do what paypal does by holding funds for a couple weeks so that there is less incentive for a seller to attempt this scam.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2012, 06:46:55 PM

why would mt. gox's june hack count but allinvain's claim of coins stolen don't?  allinvain's was a bigger amount, in terms of dollars, but not the biggest in actual bitcoins involved.  that prize goes to the linode hacking.   bitcoinica alone had 40k bitcoins stolen and add to that was smaller chunks from slush and others at the same time.  more than $200k u.s. dollars worth at the time.

sr can probably do what paypal does by holding funds for a couple weeks so that there is less incentive for a seller to attempt this scam.

SR does that but you can 'finalize' early. I don't know why exactly, but I think people do it with trusted sellers.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Spontaneous123

Activity: 13

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 10:38:31 PM

Damn... LOL it really sucks for new buyers at SR because you have to finalize early and stuff like this can happen to you :\
Wiz Khalifa

Activity: 26

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2012, 10:46:55 PM

That is one of the reasons why I really hate SR. There are so many scammers on the site and it's just a mess. Like yes the site has the good things but the site has plenty and I mean plenty of negatives.  Undecided
Andrew Bitcoiner

Activity: 396
Merit: 250

Send correspondance to GPG key A372E7C6

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2012, 11:02:48 PM

I would be willing to buy these  Cool

MAKE MONEY! ADVERTISE FOR BITCOINS http://www.bitcoinadvertising.com
Bitcoin News Site http://coinbits.com
Bitcoin Blackjack http://bitjack21.com
Bitcoin, Darknet, IT consulting http://cryptophene.com
liquidreality

Activity: 8

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 05:09:49 PM

WOW! Thats crazy! I'm a pretty paranoid person and for good reason. Although, thats the problem with SR. There is little to no buyers protection just due to the nature of the business. In light of this, I'm now going to call my cousin who had a doctorate in cryptology and have him lock up my computer tighter than the pentagon.
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 05:11:49 PM

WOW! Thats crazy! I'm a pretty paranoid person and for good reason. Although, thats the problem with SR. There is little to no buyers protection just due to the nature of the business. In light of this, I'm now going to call my cousin who had a doctorate in cryptology and have him lock up my computer tighter than the pentagon.
Calling your friend to discuss cryptography over the phone doesn't rank very high on the "paranoia" list.
Kilmyos

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 05:15:31 PM

Not surprised. I only auto-finalize on purchases under $30 with trusted vendors.
liquidreality

Activity: 8

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 05:29:16 PM

Calling your friend to discuss cryptography over the phone doesn't rank very high on the "paranoia" list.

I'm going to get him to come over to my house thank you very much! I'm not stupid.  No need to be condescending.
flaxceed

Activity: 389

>>Note new email flaxceed@tormail.org<<

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 07:04:45 PM

I don't know about Silk Road but I sell on Black Market Reloaded and so far it is going really well.  I don't mean I think you cannot get scammed there but that there are a lotta good people on BMR and it's a good community.  Maybe because it is very small there are lower percentage of scammers?  I can think of a couple that tried to run scams lately but were caught quick and talked about on BMR forum, so people knew to stay away.

//////////////////////////////////////////////
>>>>>>flaxceed@tormail.org<<<<<<
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

>>>  NOTE:  This is a new email address.  It is now tormail.org, and no longer tormail.net!  <<<

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 07:20:01 PM

That guy was DEA. That was the only possible thing they could do, undermine the confidence in the service Wink
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 07:43:53 PM

That guy was DEA. That was the only possible thing they could do, undermine the confidence in the service Wink
source kthx
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 10:32:43 PM

source kthx

arby
Donator

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

keybase.io/arblarg

View Profile
May 04, 2012, 06:33:54 AM

a very interesting story.

Jabber/XMPP: arby@darkness.su
regular

Activity: 297

View Profile
May 04, 2012, 07:25:10 PM

Unfortunately the internet is full of scammers if you can't see someone face to face or have any kind of info verification on them.  This makes the anonymous aspect of BTC not very useful in the real world.

Anybody can easily sell some small stuff for quick rep on their and then do a big scam later on- that can happen on Ebay as well but at least you have paypal protection on there as a buyer- SR not so much.
Richmond

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 09:14:13 PM

I wonder if the amount of scamming etc is due to the kind of trade that this site mainly deals in, or if its just human nature. When it comes down to it the whole idea of Silk Road is brilliant. A pretty much open worldwide marketplace that, even with the escrow service, exists due to the trust of people who have never met. In the end it doesn't seem any more corrupt than the legitimate buisness world. 
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 09:25:32 PM

Eh, big deal.

Drugs +  scam?  Shocking? 

Its like fishing -- when you cast your line out over and over and over again, eventually a fish is going to take it.  Even if you intentionally place your line in a spot where you think there are no fish, it is still only a matter of time before some stray fish comes along and takes the bait.

If you use/buy/sell drugs, it's usually just a matter of time before the hammer drops.
flaxceed

Activity: 389

>>Note new email flaxceed@tormail.org<<

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 09:39:18 PM

Drugs are not the issue.  Human nature is.  Some people want something for nothing, and they work their scams on eBay as much as Silk Road or Black Market Reloaded.  It reminds me of what I saw on the forum over at BMR.  A guy selling stolen credit card numbers was called a scammer, and his customer wanted to get the guy banned.  And the site owner was like "Ummm- so, you buy stolen credit card numbers from this guy because you want to use them to steal, and now you want him banned because he is a thief?"  And really- isn't that just the truth? 

//////////////////////////////////////////////
>>>>>>flaxceed@tormail.org<<<<<<
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

>>>  NOTE:  This is a new email address.  It is now tormail.org, and no longer tormail.net!  <<<

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: