Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:25:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cryptocurrency = Cults?  (Read 1565 times)
supranetico (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 04:24:16 PM

Some of you might have read my thread on the SuperNet ICO here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=780481

One of the things which I did in the op was to clearly state that opinions are my interpretation of the facts and one was open to express their opinion too.,

Even that being the case, I was swamped with SuperNet supporters shouting "FUD" top of their voices. Some of the people who agree with me were harassed. Reading through the thread one thing is clear to me:

We are more and more intolerant to someone having a contrarian view of the crypto we hold. Our dev is the best and he is god. It happens with Monero, SuperNet, Boolberry, BitsharesX, you name it. Why are we so afraid to accept the fact that someone can hold another view and the right to express it (though threads like xyz is a scam are completely nonsense)?

I think this is becoming more and more like those hate groups we see on the TV and news. IF you say anything against their beliefs , you deserve to die (or trolled or trust fucked in BCT terms).

One has to understand, currently crypto is like 2001 Internet boom, many don't understand whats going on and are ready to throw tons of money into it. Just like 2001, there are going to be millionaires and some people are going to make profit but the general junta is going to suffer.
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MaxDZ8

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 04:45:29 PM

We are more and more intolerant to someone having a contrarian view of the crypto we hold. Our dev is the best and he is god. It happens with Monero, SuperNet, Boolberry, BitsharesX, you name it. Why are we so afraid to accept the fact that someone can hold another view and the right to express it (though threads like xyz is a scam are completely nonsense)?
QFE. With so many people saying "we are the best" I cannot understand a damn thing.
What I see is a huge mess. Take your time to sort out the deals, I will bet on things I can understand!
jibble

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 05:11:14 PM

Some of you might have read my thread on the SuperNet ICO here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=780481

One of the things which I did in the op was to clearly state that opinions are my interpretation of the facts and one was open to express their opinion too.,

Even that being the case, I was swamped with SuperNet supporters shouting "FUD" top of their voices. Some of the people who agree with me were harassed. Reading through the thread one thing is clear to me:

I think this is becoming more and more like those hate groups we see on the TV and news. IF you say anything against their beliefs , you deserve to die (or trolled or trust fucked in BCT terms).

One has to understand, currently crypto is like 2001 Internet boom, many don't understand whats going on and are ready to throw tons of money into it. Just like 2001, there are going to be millionaires and some people are going to make profit but the general junta is going to suffer.

This is what has happened with most technology, Facebook , twitter, reddit. These places where first considered "niche and cool and trendy" (still are to some) but once the general majority took it in and it became more mainstream, that was when most of the bullshit and stupid crap came up. Hundreds of clueless people with zero experience/knowledge thinking their opinion is fact and on that alone is enough evidence. because that's how the general population behaves , when something gets popular it loses the specific qualities it once had. usually they are replaced by different ones, sometimes not so much.

This is just general adoption of a technology, as the more and more people use and buy crypto the smaller the original base group gets, it's no longer a majority made up of geeky nerdy types well versed in all things cryptography or coding or strong economically minded people. it is becoming a majority of everyday people. With a fair share of everyday assholes .

I would say some of the people supporting crypto's are cult-like but i wouldn't say it could be exactly spot on a cult by definition. there are some qualities of a cult in the almost delusional worship of specific coins, for even more delusional reasons. But not completely cult like.
trotter55

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 05:32:08 PM

There are some coin supporters who are so enthusiastic that they refuse to admit there have ever been, or will be any bugs in their coin's code. They consider their chosen coin perfect in all respects even when a bug is glaringly obvious and even the dev admits there is a bug.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 05:36:25 PM
Last edit: September 16, 2014, 05:50:29 PM by CoinHoarder

Everyone is a shill for whatever Cryptocurrency they own or support. Even I am guilty of that myself, although I try my best to remain objective nonetheless.

Some people are much worse than others though, over time you will figure out the people that are subjective and the people that are objective, and form your opinions with this in mind. It can take a long time to learn people's posting habits though, and it requires a lot of reading. If you don't spend a lot of time in these subforums I would take everything you read with a grain of salt.
supranetico (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 05:51:58 PM

No it's not.  Dot.com at its' peak was $7 trillion of wealth.  Crypto currencies at the moment is $6.8 billion.  Still a long way to go to get to where the internet was in the 1990s, when only 2% of the world's population was using it.

Hate to rain on your parade but a lot of the dot.com people like Mark Cuban and Kevin O'Learhy are eccentric and jerks as it is, make them decades younger and give them internet anonymity and many of those dot.com types would probably be trolling on BTT.

what? The comment was on throwing money on bleeding edge technology without understanding it, not the market cap.

I see a post which makes an half assed attempts at being smart and want to go in the "jerk mode".
supranetico (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 05:54:54 PM

Everyone is a shill for whatever Cryptocurrency they own or support. Even I am guilty of that myself, although I try my best to remain objective nonetheless.

Some people are much worse than others though, over time you will figure out the people that are subjective and the people that are objective, and form your opinions with this in mind. It can take a long time to learn people's posting habits though, and it requires a lot of reading. If you don't spend a lot of time in these subforums I would take everything you read with a grain of salt.
I think its fine if one supports his/her own currency, its just that people go into the "FUD" "FUD" mode which concerns me. I am trying to learn how to separate wheat from chaff but its too difficult when you get slammed for asking dev a difficult question,
Willisius

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

I'm really quite sane!

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 07:11:46 PM

In-group favoritism, out-group negativity. Throw money into the mix, and...well, you've seen.
devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 07:45:33 PM

I see three major cults.

1) Bitcoin
2) Dogecoin
3) Proof-of-Stake (most members are invested in all of these projects: NXT, NEM, BitsharesX, Qora, Crypti, NODE or at least in three out of six in various proportions)

Wanna-be cults, but not quite there yet:

a) Monero
b) and I guess that's it... feel free to propose your vision Smiley
instacalm

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 07:48:28 PM
Last edit: September 16, 2014, 08:00:25 PM by instacash

Absolutely agree with the topic, and one of the reasons why I don't come here nearly as much as I did earlier
-- got really tired and bored of it after a while.
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3934
Merit: 1405

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 07:57:46 PM

I see three major cults.

1) Bitcoin
2) Dogecoin
3) Proof-of-Stake (most members are invested in all of these projects: NXT, NEM, BitsharesX, Qora, Crypti, NODE or at least in three out of six in various proportions)

a) Monero

the shibes are cool and nice tho. 

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 08:01:07 PM

the shibes are cool and nice tho. 

much agree )
Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 08:02:24 PM

Yep everyone buy Monero quick.

I was a member of a Religious Cult in the 90s for 3 years..
So I understand all the STANDARD methodologies Cults use to:

(a) control members

(b) accumulate wealth

(c) GROW, GROW, GROW

Bitcoin was very definitely a Cult circa 2011 and it worked for them...
And groups are now trying to emulate the Bitcoin Cult... very specifically the Monero Truthers.

Virtually ALL Cult methods are based on logical fallacy = lies...
Here's some classic Monero Cult methodologies you see here every day:

(a)  absurd Dogma that must be absolutely believed and spread by disciples

(b)  swarming group attacks on "enemy" groups or any rational analysis

(c)  completely closed threads where the absurd Dogma is repeated millions of times

(d)  grown men adopting an Alt Coin as a religious God

(e)  "savior" figures like McRisto that cultists can worship and rally around

I could write a book...
But in the end it's all backfiring...
Because they have made so many enemies in here and in the Dark Web...
That Monero will be target #1 for exploits... and has already developed a reputation for unreliability.

"Atrocious" code base and security issues = Kiss of Death

HunterMinerCrafter

Activity: 434

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 08:38:35 PM

I could write a book...

A book about the cultish behavior of coin enthusiasts by someone who has been both a coin enthusiast and a cult member?

I would buy this book.
Nxtblg
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2014, 08:45:09 PM

In-group favoritism, out-group negativity. Throw money into the mix, and...well, you've seen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupthink

Pops up all over the place. I avoid it by habit, which is why I often come across as "Danny Downer". Tongue

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 08:55:30 PM

I see three major cults.

1) Bitcoin
2) Dogecoin

a) Monero

being part of coin community almost as a cult is nothing bad. What is bad and OP mention is, that many on this forum, just don't accept any criticism.
and some others just make fun of readers. and continuously spam other coins topics, or even make new topics where they beg, that people dont start topics as they start them.
I do not understand why Forum moderators allow, that some make fun from Forum readers. is so obvious. Dos no one care? No one report or moderators just don't care and dont delete and punish.

I dont know who on earth convinced people here, that support coin that you hold is bad. Of course it is your duty to tell as many people as you can about it. Tell everyone good things of coin you hold.
But yes also accept criticism. And answer on them as much as you can. I am sure it become a bit to much answering same question all the time.
And you don't need to hijack other coins topics and continuously spam there. And you don't need to make numerous topics complaining over other coins.

You have your coin and you have all right to tell everyone on the world that your coin is most beautiful and most smartest and well your little baby.
From Above

Activity: 700
Merit: 520

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 11:04:42 PM

what specific cult r u a member of @ OP ?

~CfA~

V500

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 11:16:15 PM

the more they scream fud on other people for no reason the weaker they look.
If they can't discuss things and accept other opinions and weigh stuff against each other but have to scream fud, maybe it is because their product has flaws and they need to hide that.

I believe that communities which have the touch of a cult will all fail because people won't join that.

lowest inflation in town: Unobtanium
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=527500.0
Learn from history: Unfair money always fails
rocoro
Legendary

Activity: 938

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 11:46:41 PM

Just legitimize your equation further and create cultcoin  Tongue
jibble