Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:59:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crytographic email or msging system?  (Read 1815 times)
Ashpool (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 07:08:42 PM

Could you combine a bitcoin like system with something like BITDNS and produce a nice cryptographically strong messaging system?

Eg Instead of transactions, you commit short messages(or their hashes) to the blockchain?

You could use the BITDNS system to do the transation between human readable addresses and their linked BITSMS address?

It was just an idea I had.  Any thoughts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vasili Sviridov

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2011, 10:04:44 PM

Emm, how about GPG? What's wrong with that system?

1JHYtsmsGq2McwGHmWayVjVtHds8rp1R5
Nesetalis

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 04:47:47 AM

I've been thinking on this too.
We really do need a secure, distributed, anonymous, yet cost ineffective (ie, too expensive to spam) communication system.
send a message to a bitcoin address the same way you might send a payment.. (though likely using a different method :p) Might be worth poking at Namecoin as a plugin for it.

ZOMG Moo!
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2011, 06:41:14 AM

We really do need a secure, distributed, anonymous, yet cost ineffective (ie, too expensive to spam) communication system.
send a message to a bitcoin address the same way you might send a payment.. (though likely using a different method :p) Might be worth poking at Namecoin as a plugin for it.

Ladies and gentlement may I present to you..... Retroshare.

A crypto friend to friend, p2p, distributed instant chat, forums and filesharing.

http://retroshare.sourceforge.net/

Whole thing uses gpg.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Nesetalis

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 08:02:02 AM

now do you have a plugin for pidgin? :p

ZOMG Moo!
Nefario

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2011, 09:46:47 AM

now do you have a plugin for pidgin? :p

If you want crypto for pidgin just use Off The Record OTR http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/

It's pretty much the best available ATM.

However Retroshare already has Instant Messaging built in (what system I'm not actually sure), so you don't even need pidgin.

Nesetalis

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 10:28:06 AM

i think you missed the point... OTR is terrible for one. if it fails, it just unencrypts the message and sends it... about as secure as a shoebox :p and I would have it fail very frequently..
And I wasnt talking about simply encryping an existing IM, nor do I even really want an IM feature.
I was talking about a distributed p2p and innately encrypted replacement for email. A random new IM client to run is hardly helpful for that, and since it doesnt plugin to pidgin I'd likely never use it. (I only use aggregate IM clients.. and grudgingly skype.. if some one ported the skype protocol and made a plugin for pidgin and trillian, id jump for joy Cheesy)

ZOMG Moo!
Nefario

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2011, 10:58:28 AM

i think you missed the point... OTR is terrible for one. if it fails, it just unencrypts the message and sends it... about as secure as a shoebox :p and I would have it fail very frequently..
And I wasnt talking about simply encryping an existing IM, nor do I even really want an IM feature.
I was talking about a distributed p2p and innately encrypted replacement for email. A random new IM client to run is hardly helpful for that, and since it doesnt plugin to pidgin I'd likely never use it. (I only use aggregate IM clients.. and grudgingly skype.. if some one ported the skype protocol and made a plugin for pidgin and trillian, id jump for joy Cheesy)

Yes, I did miss your point  Tongue, although retroshare does include distributed forums, I know it's not an IM but I think it's a cool feature.

dikidera

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 11:04:43 AM

What i'd rather see is small messages during a transaction. Like sending BTC to someone and adding a small note or something.
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 11:49:09 AM

also... http://i2pbote.net/

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
divergenta

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 01:48:13 PM

Ladies and gentlement may I present to you..... Retroshare.

A crypto friend to friend, p2p, distributed instant chat, forums and filesharing.

http://retroshare.sourceforge.net/

Whole thing uses gpg.

Awesome! Thank you very much for sharing this. I think RetroShare seems to be a great project. I will give it a serious try imminently.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: