Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:45:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PayPal VISA and other companies with BTC. It is good?  (Read 1599 times)
nelruk (OP)

Activity: 115
Merit: 11

Bitcoin is revolution

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2014, 03:30:04 AM

Meanwhile I was reading in some places about the growing of several companies acepting BTC, saw other posts claiming the Paypal's integration or VISA's acceptance could be take troubles in long terms for cryptocurrencies. I was wondering how?

On the other hand, posts saying the integration mentioned before is a good signal, signal of companies that realized the importance of BTC and in a short future, other currencies. How is positive anyway?

Bitcoin is revolution. Visit http://bitcoinlandia.net Smiley my personal blog about bitcoin in spanish
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 03:32:41 AM

As far as I can see, PAYPAL integrating with bitcoin is a good thing for bitcoin.  It means broader exposure and more changes to use it.  What would the negative be?
btcrich

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 03:34:59 AM

A lot of big retailers have started accepting Bitcoin but at the same time not many new avenues for purchasing Bitcoin have appeared.  I think there's currently an imbalance and new easy ways to acquire Bitcoin should probably be a good thing.
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2014, 04:25:48 AM

It's good. It's the needed bridge to pure bitcoin. Just a straight up shift from fiat to crytpo is hard, but a few years of hybrid will be nice.

beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 04:27:01 AM

even if paypal were helping bitcoin, i would go out of my way to try and use their service. they're already a juggernaut that is only interested in the bottom line. they're not looking to help anyone or give any handouts.
bornil267645

Activity: 406

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2014, 04:30:40 AM

Of course it's good... It accounts for global acceptance...

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4447

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 04:42:20 AM

As far as I can see, PAYPAL integrating with bitcoin is a good thing for bitcoin.  It means broader exposure and more changes to use it.  What would the negative be?

charge back scammers -> bad press -> negative public perception that paypal/visa will insure fiat, but not bitcoin. -> people wont want bitcoin.

if only paypal tightened up the rules to not allow scammers to grab their FIAT back from victims, then bitcoin will be abused. we do not need paypal, we need a better, bug free alternative 'auction site'. yes i already know a few bitoin auction sites exist, my emphasis was on the 'better' and 'bug free' part

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Justine

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 04:43:50 AM

Doubt paypal will lower the fee for bitcoin low enough to hurt their own bottom line.

And as soon as buyer realize they don't even need paypal and deal with merchant directly, paypal will go away.
hopey

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 05:17:44 AM

A lot of big retailers have started accepting Bitcoin but at the same time not many new avenues for purchasing Bitcoin have appeared.  I think there's currently an imbalance and new easy ways to acquire Bitcoin should probably be a good thing.

QFT One should be able to buy BTC instantly when needed with a cell phone. Preferably only by just putting the sum and pressing ok. Or why does someone, who has linked paypal/credit card in phone need to worry about conversion at all?

Then when retailers give a discount from BTC buys, even normal people would use it and slowly start to hold it.

This should happen *now* because it will be alot harder after one/two years when Apple gets their system up and running.
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 08:09:44 AM

Doubt paypal will lower the fee for bitcoin low enough to hurt their own bottom line.

And as soon as buyer realize they don't even need paypal and deal with merchant directly, paypal will go away.

That's probably right.  But for the shortterm, Paypal accepting or supporting btc is a good thing i think.  The exposure will be great, and, as you say, hopefully many folks who find out about btc through paypal will end up ditching paypal for the "pure product".

OrientA

Activity: 462

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 08:59:00 AM

That's probably right.  But for the shortterm, Paypal accepting or supporting btc is a good thing i think.  The exposure will be great, and, as you say, hopefully many folks who find out about btc through paypal will end up ditching paypal for the "pure product".

We already have payment processor such as Coinbase and Bitpay. They only charge 1%. If Paypal wants to compete with them, its fee cannot be too high.
howareyo

Activity: 28

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 09:03:53 AM

With more adoption the word will spread faster, it's certainly good for bitcoin health.
hopey

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 09:25:50 AM

We already have payment processor such as Coinbase and Bitpay. They only charge 1%. If Paypal wants to compete with them, its fee cannot be too high.

Both are too cumbersome and slow for someone who wants to get BTC immediately to purchase something.
mcgeal

Activity: 49

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 09:29:25 AM

Paypal + BTC is very good...  Grin
OrientA

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 10:05:57 AM

If Visa, Mater or other credit companies adopt digital currency, it is good for all of us.
hopey

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 10:11:31 AM

All publicity is good publicity and all adoption is good adoption.  Wink
OrientA

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 10:32:30 AM

All publicity is good publicity and all adoption is good adoption.  Wink

That is right.
netmonk

Activity: 219

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2014, 10:44:09 AM

If Visa, Mater or other credit companies adopt digital currency, it is good for all of us.

I'm not so confident in the positive outcome.
All banking and payment monopoly is based on regulation and law.
Anti money laundry law, consumer protection against fraud, .... all those buzzword are made to raise the entrance price of new player in the payment industry.

Monopoly is established.

For working in payment industry one way to kill competitor is to force partner with him and force him to respect market standard !

The problem of bitcoin is that it doesn't care about use of money. It's just a media to transfer value, whatever the aim of the transfer.

VISA and all other are all linked to TRACFIN and global survey of money transfer.

So working with them is a dangerous game.
And Bitcoin can just be killed by communication: "look we tryed to integrate bitcoin in our solution, but it appears that it cannot satisfy our security standard about ....."

Also working with those player has the side effect of loosing the little freedom of use bitcoin introduced. Those infrastructure like VISA are designed to shift the control of money from owner to them.
Using a VISA credit card means you accept that 100% of your everyday habit and use, and also wealth estimation become strategical information for VISA and partner (government and law enforcement agency).

Bitcoin was reducing the cost for alternative use of money, you don't need to create offshore company, building complex scheme for obfuscating your money usage.

Working with such partner will report the same problems in the bitcoin world.

For example, i'm always feeling self mitigate when big retailer announce they are now accepting bitcoin.
Its an easy way to build a file of bitcoin holder that you can easily transmit to gov agency.
Because they now put a name on bitcoin holder.
hopey

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 11:14:18 AM

It doesn't take away the _option_ that BTC gives you to stay anonymous and be your own bank. If you buy something from big corporations, you need to play with their rules in any case. With BTC you always have a way to stay anonymous and use your BTC for small retailers etc, if you wish.

Corporate adoption doesn't take away anything fundamental from BTC.
Unbelive

Activity: 210

Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 11:26:24 AM

Meanwhile I was reading in some places about the growing of several companies acepting BTC, saw other posts claiming the Paypal's integration or VISA's acceptance could be take troubles in long terms for cryptocurrencies. I was wondering how?

On the other hand, posts saying the integration mentioned before is a good signal, signal of companies that realized the importance of BTC and in a short future, other currencies. How is positive anyway?
It will be good, but will influence on price. so all this will be good for BTC and make it more stable, but will make price of BTC lower since there will be more chances to spend them.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: