Bitcoin Forum
December 03, 2016, 08:02:06 PM *
News: To be able to use the next phase of the beta forum software, please ensure that your email address is correct/functional.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Email notifications in BAMT  (Read 1691 times)
superfastkyle

Activity: 437

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 06:52:52 AM

I want to setup email notifications in BAMT. I currently use GMAIL. But I suppose your password is sent clear text when you use this option am I correct? Is there a secure way to use it or should I setup another email solely for this purpose. THANKS
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
af_newbie
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 09:19:26 PM

I want to setup email notifications in BAMT. I currently use GMAIL. But I suppose your password is sent clear text when you use this option am I correct? Is there a secure way to use it or should I setup another email solely for this purpose. THANKS

To send emails, you don't need your account password.  Unless of course your ISP server requires it via ESMTP
extensions.  Most larger ISPs accept incoming emails then they sort them out.  If any software/script ask you for your email password, you better run for cover :-)

To receive emails, well, you have options. Some are more secure than others.
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2012, 09:25:44 PM

Just make sure you use SSL or TLS. Then it connects securely just like any other mail client would.

http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=13287

These instructions are for POP, too, but the SMTP part is what matters for what you are doing.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.