Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:21:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A tty-like interface  (Read 8905 times)
bootfast (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 11, 2010, 05:45:26 AM

I am  an engineer from embedded  world, which often  have to deal
with devices  with no internet  connectivity.  I am  thinking, it
would be great if bitcoind  software has a tty like interface for
transactions in  addition to socket connections.  Since  tty is a
very  versatile interface  in  the embedded  world  which can  be
accessed/emulated over rs232, usb, bluetooth etc.

Some usage comes to my mind:
1. a kind of usb-connected bitcoin-wallet/vault
Bring my vault to my  store, connect to computer, doing every day
transactions.  Save/transfer  all  of  the  BTC I  earned  to  my
personal vault and store in a safe place during night.

2. device-to-device transactions over bluetooth
Doing off-line  BC transaction over bluetooth  devices during the
day   and  sync  the   transactions  to   the  BC   network  with
internet-connected computer later.

What do you think folks?

--
eko
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jgarzik
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
August 11, 2010, 06:59:22 AM

There is already a tty interface: the command line client.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
throughput

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 11, 2010, 01:37:53 PM

I think he need to run TCP/IP over tty line. PPP may help here.
But he don't wish to use PPP.
He asks for a P2P connection over serial line, instead of TCP/IP socket on port 8333.

Right, bootfast?
lfm

Activity: 196
Merit: 104

View Profile
August 12, 2010, 12:25:45 AM

I think he need to run TCP/IP over tty line. PPP may help here.
But he don't wish to use PPP.
He asks for a P2P connection over serial line, instead of TCP/IP socket on port 8333.

Right, bootfast?

Yes, he can login on a serial line and run the command line bitcoind commands, no problem.
omegadraconis

Activity: 39

View Profile
August 12, 2010, 03:40:50 AM

The only problem I see is the any coins moved to a vault would need to be confirmed by the network when moved into the vault and confirmed when taken out of the vault to make sure that someone doesn't just come up with a vault file and fill it with coins. A unix-style pipe instead of a socket would make moving the coins over any link (tty, usb, serial, etc.) or media increasingly easy but, the problem again is the move would need to be confirmed to prevent cheating which requires internet.

I'm guessing here but, I think it would be possible to make a new "vault" address in the client and obtain the private key for that address from the wallet file. Somehow bind the address to a vault file and have the client transfer the coins to the "vault" address. The network would try and send the coins to the vault address which is off line. Once you move the vault back online the network should confirm the vault has the coins. Might be able to do something like this with two wallet files but, I think there is a bit of risk involved with what I described.

Having a method of doing off-network transactions would be pretty neat, I think we could open bitcoins up to more "everyday" transactions. The transactions could go into a batch and then be processed when internet is available. The only problem I could see is a case when someone overspends the coins they have and leave the receiver high and dry or simply doesn't send the coins at all but, thats probably not a problem so much with bitcoins as it is with people  Wink
lfm

Activity: 196
Merit: 104

View Profile
August 12, 2010, 05:32:23 AM

Having a method of doing off-network transactions would be pretty neat, I think we could open bitcoins up to more "everyday" transactions. The transactions could go into a batch and then be processed when internet is available.

Well, have you tried? It works now if you try it. Send coins to address while no internet. Wait arbitrary length of time then connect and poof there they go!
bootfast (OP)

Activity: 12

View Profile
August 12, 2010, 05:37:23 AM

@Throuput
Yes, correct. What I am referring to is to have a P2P connection over serial line. Meaning transfering coin (transaction) over the serial line. Not only the command interface.

@omegadraconis
You got the idea, unix-like pipe would be a suitable connection .
As to prevent cheating and double spending, I am agree with
you it is hard to prevent in off-line transactions. However, it might be a habit for future bitcoin user to check immediately validity
of an offline transaction with on-line checker. Or they might only accept offline payment from a trusted party only.
It is problem with people and habit when using bitcoin, IMHO.

d1337r

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2010, 06:31:29 AM

You know, any transactions made without confirmations are unreliable (cause if no-one verified them, the sender may be douple-spending). And without Internet access, we cannot send confirmations.
omegadraconis

Activity: 39

View Profile
August 15, 2010, 01:53:25 AM

@omegadraconis
You got the idea, unix-like pipe would be a suitable connection .
As to prevent cheating and double spending, I am agree with
you it is hard to prevent in off-line transactions. However, it might be a habit for future bitcoin user to check immediately validity
of an offline transaction with on-line checker. Or they might only accept offline payment from a trusted party only.
It is problem with people and habit when using bitcoin, IMHO.

I gave it a little more thought here and wandered back to the time I used to work retail and use credit card machines. Most of them worked by having the card swiped and preforming an initial hold on the account for the amount. The amount was not actually finalized until the "batch" of transactions was run at the end of the day. I was thinking an system like this could work well for pseudo-offline system. You would still need to do an initial validation of some kind, like a bitcoin credit check or if the system for bitcoin reputation comes to be in effect, and then put the transaction into the batch for later processing.
bitcoinex

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2011, 10:28:32 AM

BUMP!

2. device-to-device transactions over bluetooth
Doing off-line  BC transaction over bluetooth  devices during the
day   and  sync  the   transactions  to   the  BC   network  with
internet-connected computer later.

What do you think folks?

--
eko

So, decided to replace Bluetooth to screen barcodes? Sad

Suggestion (from this topic):

"Bitcoin debit card"

Bluetooth wireless 'smartcard' device which can ECDSA cryptography. On PIC controller with LCD screen and 2 buttons.
It can receive request (bills) for payents by bluetooth, display payie selfname and "To: payee address", amount and wait for pushing 'Pay' or 'Cancel'.
Bluetooth connection are encrypted by assymmetric encryption without certificate (it is not needed because device have a display with buttions).

I dreamed a such device today. It is been cool green PCB in the glass box. Unfortunately, firmware and source code not copied from dream Smiley

If it is interesting can discuss the details. For example, which opensource protocol implementation can be used for communication via bluetooth?

New bitcoin lottery: probiwon.com
- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?
bitcoinex

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2011, 02:03:12 PM
Last edit: March 18, 2011, 11:17:44 PM by bitcoinex

But it is too early.
Bluetooth it's easy to jam. And to use RFID we need at least one friendly store

upd: Near field communication is better whan rfid for this purpose

New bitcoin lottery: probiwon.com
- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: