Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:17:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: karpeles first interview since collapse of mt.gox  (Read 1070 times)
robinwilliams (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 02:17:46 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Buttcoin/comments/2gnegl/buttlord_karpeles_gives_first_interview_since/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 02:20:37 PM

The original article if you want the source and not the idiotic comments on reddit.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/17/mt-gox-s-karpeles-on-losing-a-half-billion-bucks-in-bitcoins.html

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 06:59:22 PM

It’s not surprising Karpeles feels his life is at risk, and, indeed, he anticipated this. One of the reasons that Karpeles was the only director of Mt. Gox, he says, was because he knew perfectly well the risks of doing the job and he wanted to protect his employees from those potential risks. “I wanted to be as much as possible the only ‘sekininsha,’ or ‘responsible person’ in this job,” he explained before sitting down for an exclusive interview with The Daily Beast, his first since the police investigation began.

What a much of bullshit! Even Madoff didn't consider including this in his excuses playbook.
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 01:04:55 AM

I don't like how he tries to paint himself as the victim.  Nobody had a problem with him until he started being incompetent.  If he didn't do anything wrong he should have been much more transparent about the whole hacking issue.  Keeping to yourself after losing half a billion I very unethical behavior. 

People are likely to get very mad and threaten you. Instead shady he should have been as vocal as possible, and reaching out to your customers would have been the right step.  Their were so many problems with GOX that you can't even appreciate what good came out of GOX, it's pretty sad.
hyperdimension

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 01:36:09 AM

Karpeles is rich for life, far from buttlord  Roll Eyes
zorke

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 02:28:56 AM

It’s not surprising Karpeles feels his life is at risk, and, indeed, he anticipated this. One of the reasons that Karpeles was the only director of Mt. Gox, he says, was because he knew perfectly well the risks of doing the job and he wanted to protect his employees from those potential risks. “I wanted to be as much as possible the only ‘sekininsha,’ or ‘responsible person’ in this job,” he explained before sitting down for an exclusive interview with The Daily Beast, his first since the police investigation began.

What a much of bullshit! Even Madoff didn't consider including this in his excuses playbook.
Well IMO the thing is that if the responsibility of the security of several hundred million dollars was not placed on one person, but rather placed on the responsibility of a team of people then the issue would not be that one person was incompetent, but rather that a hacker/group of hackers were simply "smarter" then the security team. A team would also have the ability to better document the safeguards they had put in place in order to prevent theft of customer money to reduce the possibility of accusations of outright theft. 
cdog

Activity: 1036

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 05:20:09 AM

As smart as Karpeles is, he highly overestimated his own ability. I dont think he did anything criminal (gross negligence is a slippery slope - so maybe) but his failure to acknowledge his own incompetence and responsibility in this matter is disheartening.

If he just came out and said, "hey, my bad" I could at least respect that a little bit. He says hes disappointed no reporter ever asks him "How are YOU doing?"

Nobody cares about you Mark, because you just wont take responsibility for a disaster which you allowed to occur through your incompetence.

Playing the victim is easy. Taking responsibility is hard, and because hes never done that, I cant ever respect him.
zorke

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 05:33:00 AM

As smart as Karpeles is, he highly overestimated his own ability. I dont think he did anything criminal (gross negligence is a slippery slope - so maybe) but his failure to acknowledge his own incompetence and responsibility in this matter is disheartening.

If he just came out and said, "hey, my bad" I could at least respect that a little bit. He says hes disappointed no reporter ever asks him "How are YOU doing?"

Nobody cares about you Mark, because you just wont take responsibility for a disaster which you allowed to occur through your incompetence.

Playing the victim is easy. Taking responsibility is hard, and because hes never done that, I cant ever respect him.
I don't think taking responsibility is smart from a legal prospective. From what I can tell, it is not known when exactly the bitcoin was stolen from gox. As a result anyone who were to sue who is responsible could argue that all of the bitcoin was stolen at the time they collapsed (almost certainly not true - I would say that the majority of the lost coins were likely from when bitcoin was trading at very little).

If he were to come out and admit that it was his fault that the bitcoin was stolen/missing then he could potentially be held personally responsible for the missing bitcoin.
Mieehayii

Activity: 490

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 05:36:57 AM

god, that what does he want to do?

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀███▀████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▀▄█████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▄█▄▀████

███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀████████▀▀▀██▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▀▀▀█████
███          ▀███   ████████   ██    ▀█████████   ██           ▀████   █████
███   █████▄   ██   ████████   ██      ▀███████   ██   ██████▄   ███   █████