Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:32:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: DDoS attack on Bitcoin.org  (Read 1641 times)
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 09:59:50 PM

maybe the start of the domino falling. Cool Cool

This is sarcasm right?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
zorke

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 10:10:39 PM

Site still down for me, fucking no life aspies.

DNS changes may take up to 24-48 hours before being deployed worldwide.

If you ping bitcoin.org, what IP do you get? ( should be 199.83.129.139 or 199.83.131.8 )

Did not you employ Cloudflare or any other CDN to deal with DDOS ?
Cloudflare requires the site operators to give up the encryption keys to (I believe it is) the https encryption certificate. I am not sure if this is exactly correct, however I know it has something to do with something that a user can look at to validate that they are accessing the website they intend to visit.
HELP.org

Activity: 510
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2014, 10:59:55 PM

Probably just some anti-Foundation skiddie who saw this:
  https://bitcoinfoundation.org/2014/09/bitcoin-org-walk-down-memory-lane/

So you are saying it is not credible that the site is sponsored by the Foundation but claims it is completely independent ... and now people are mad?

The Foundation is welcome to help bitcoin.org.

As for the worry that the Foundation could try to "buy" some control over the website, I was concerned this could happen when we started having recurring costs (server) until we had alternative funding options. So currently, the sponsorship is just a "win-win" for everyone, and the Foundation thus far is only helpful.

Hi,

The process for determining what things get posted on Bitcoin.org is very unclear and it appears to be one person who makes the decisions.  Given those circumstances and the history of the Bitcoin Foundation I certainly believe the Foundation effectively runs the site.  Vague posts by people within the inner circle do not really clarify anything.

As for the DNS you set the TTL low so you can change IP's during a DDOS so it won't take 24-48 hours for most people to switch if it is that bad.

As for clouflare, you do have to give them the SSL keys because they process the web site traffic.  Nobody is entering personal information and it is a static web site so it is unclear what the issue is there.  As far as I can tell that was an excuse used by Bitcointalk when they kept getting hacked and nobody did anything.

Certified Bitcoin Professional
Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: