Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:27:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Paper Wallet Woes..  (Read 1720 times)
dirtycat (OP)

Activity: 456
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 04:16:45 PM

Is there any other way to excrete the funds from a paper wallet other than pywallet?  Perhaps a web based service?

Havent tried blockchain.info the site has been all crazy and unreliable the last 24 hours.

Tried ./bitcoind importprivkey [mykey] - it shows I have no funds in the account  Huh

Any other ideas?

poop!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2012, 04:50:10 PM

You can try strongcoin.com which works quite well for importing a private key in a wallet. paytunia.com will soon be offering the same feature..

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 08:06:14 PM

Is there any other way to excrete the funds from a paper wallet other than pywallet?  Perhaps a web based service?

Mt. Gox lets you import a key, and then will sweep any amounts to your Mt. Gox account.  It will also do the same automatically in the future should any further payments be received at that address.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 09:28:18 PM

Armory will do everything you need and keep your wallet absolutely safe.

http://bitcoinarmory.com/index.php/using-offline-wallets-in-armory
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2012, 09:45:49 PM

bitcoind should also do what he wants though.  No need to get everyone running alpha software for their primary wallets.

Maybe try 'bitcoind -rescan'?  Although the import should have forced a rescan.  Can you check the address on block explorer and verify that there are funds there?

dirtycat (OP)

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 09:52:36 PM

bitcoind should also do what he wants though.  No need to get everyone running alpha software for their primary wallets.

Maybe try 'bitcoind -rescan'?  Although the import should have forced a rescan.  Can you check the address on block explorer and verify that there are funds there?

yup tried rescan and everything.. tried on multiple machines and still no funds.. checked blockchain and blockexplorer the funds are there

I fear this may have become a recovery mission lol

poop!
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 09:59:22 PM
Last edit: April 30, 2012, 10:30:30 PM by cypherdoc

bitcoind should also do what he wants though.  No need to get everyone running alpha software for their primary wallets.

Maybe try 'bitcoind -rescan'?  Although the import should have forced a rescan.  Can you check the address on block explorer and verify that there are funds there?

i understand your concern with alpha software but i think he said he justs want to print extract funds out of a paper wallet which Armory can do right now w/o any trouble.
dirtycat (OP)

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 10:16:32 PM

I tried armory.. keeps saying invalid key format.. sooooo... if any of you want to help.. I can send you the paper wallet or the priv key and you can send the funds to my other wallet.. I will pay 1 BTC for your trouble.

poop!
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2012, 11:57:47 PM

I haven't had any luck Sad

The fact that the decoded private key from strongcoin starts with a "y" and not a "5" leads me to believe that they have a bug somewhere in their code.

Hopefully, their support gets back to you

etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2012, 04:11:16 AM

Cypherdoc presented this problem to me, and I went ahead and examined this mysterious 'y' private key.  I converted it to hex and did some digging with my tools.

It turns out there's a bug in Strongcoin paper wallet generation:  A private key is supposed to look like:

[0x80 | 32-byte private key | 4-byte checksum]

This private key looked like:

[0x80 | 31-byte private key | 4-byte checksum]

For the same reason that we don't write "053" when talking about the number 53, it turns out that this private key had a zero on the left end that was truncated.  When I added a zero-byte, the key imported fine.  (you have to first convert to hex, there's no way to add an arbitrary byte to the Base58 key).

This error should occur only in 1/256 keys:  the ones that have a '0x00' left byte.  It's not surprising that it was overlooked, given how infrequently it can happen!  I just emailed their support with the information.  It should be an easy bug to fix.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 04:17:39 AM

Cypherdoc presented this problem to me, and I went ahead and examined this mysterious 'y' private key.  I converted it to hex and did some digging with my tools.

It turns out there's a bug in Strongcoin paper wallet generation:  A private key is supposed to look like:

[0x80 | 32-byte private key | 4-byte checksum]

This private key looked like:

[0x80 | 31-byte private key | 4-byte checksum]

For the same reason that we don't write "053" when talking about the number 53, it turns out that this private key had a zero on the left end that was truncated.  When I added a zero-byte, the key imported fine.  (you have to first convert to hex, there's no way to add an arbitrary byte to the Base58 key).

This error should occur only in 1/256 keys:  the ones that have a '0x00' left byte.  It's not surprising that it was overlooked, given how infrequently it can happen!  I just emailed their support with the information.  It should be an easy bug to fix.

you know you gotta stop going around and finding errors in peoples code.  what'd it take you; all of one minute? Wink
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2012, 05:06:32 AM

Nice fine etothepi!

dirtycat (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 07:08:19 AM

Thats awesome.. looks like im gonna use armory from now on for paper wallets lol.. I'll be donating a coin to all three of you for your help.. where do I send?

poop!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: