Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:49:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: This week I bought >300 BTC (+700 before > 1000 total)  (Read 19056 times)
log2exp

Activity: 176
Merit: 114

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 08:17:21 PM

Still waiting on the fiat transfer to exchange. Dollar cost average is working nicely.
How much money have you lost so far this year, compared to a strategy of selling up on Jan 1 and sticking the money in a savings account?

I didn't do dollar cost average last year, because it was mainly going up trend. Majority of this year is down trend, especially past few weeks, dollar cost average makes more sense. I started buying from lower 600s all the way to now. Total only few coins as that's what I can afford to lose.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DieJohnny
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 08:22:30 PM

Still waiting on the fiat transfer to exchange. Dollar cost average is working nicely.
How much money have you lost so far this year, compared to a strategy of selling up on Jan 1 and sticking the money in a savings account?

I didn't do dollar cost average last year, because it was mainly going up trend. Majority of this year is down trend, especially past few weeks, dollar cost average makes more sense. I started buying from lower 600s all the way to now. Total only few coins as that's what I can afford to lose.

I don't get the afford to lose comments. Unless you live in Russia or are borrowing from a drug lord, you can afford to lose every penny you invest in bitcoin. Nobody dies because they go broke, they only die when they jump out the window. So don't jump out the window.

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
arbitrage001
Legendary

Activity: 1067
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 08:37:23 PM

Dollar cost averaging is an inferior trading strategy. You only need to be wrong one time on one particular asset type to be broke without proper risk controlled.

If the down trend don't stop, expect to see btc trading at below $200 in a month or two when panic selling and margin call get hit.
log2exp

Activity: 176
Merit: 114

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 08:47:56 PM

Dollar cost averaging is an inferior trading strategy. You only need to be wrong one time on one particular asset type to be broke without proper risk controlled.

If the down trend don't stop, expect to see btc trading at below $200 in a month or two when panic selling and margin call get hit.

I agree that dollar cost averaging is inferior, however, it's very time consuming to watch the market. I'd like to know if there is a better strategy to gain coins in this long term down trend (not spend too much time). TIA!
arbitrage001
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 09:02:08 PM

I agree that dollar cost averaging is inferior, however, it's very time consuming to watch the market. I'd like to know if there is a better strategy to gain coins in this long term down trend (not spend too much time). TIA!

Try the reverse. It is called trend trading and set up proper parameter to close your position (long or short) when the price reverse up to certain percentage (depend on your risk).

You only need to be right one time with this method to make a butt load of money.
toinew

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 01:31:45 PM

Thank you weak hands!

you are well welcomed  Smiley
biggus dickus

Activity: 310
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 02:35:12 PM

Try the reverse. It is called trend trading and set up proper parameter to close your position (long or short) when the price reverse up to certain percentage (depend on your risk).

You only need to be right one time with this method to make a butt load of money.

Could you post some links where we can learn more about trend trading please?
ask (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 09:28:40 PM

These absurd low prices makes made me nervous.  If will buy more on Sunday, aditional 100 BTC between 300-350 $. 

Anyone who is selling now is complete IDIOT.
ravenjt

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 09:35:05 PM

The fear in your text isclear, Ask. Youve lost a lot of money, and you feel you must throw more good money after bad.
your losses are starting to look painful
ask (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 09:37:42 PM

The fear in your text isclear, Ask. Youve lost a lot of money, and you feel you must throw more good money after bad.

Of course.  Please sell. And don't forget that I still  have worthless  bitcoins  Smiley
sbrzol

Activity: 569
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 10:06:29 PM

These absurd low prices makes made me nervous.  If will buy more on Sunday, aditional 100 BTC between 300-350 $.  

there is nothing to show this is the bottom, so why  should i buy ?

there is no blood on streets yet

so i am "complete IDIOT" , i sold 400 at $350   (coins from early 2013 )

i am a believer so buying (back) at $350 or $450 (or $200)  is the same for me  ( i will buy back later)

but now i feel much better, earlier it was so frustrating that despite of the good news the price is keep going down, but now perhaps i can accumulate more coins

until you and others call me and other sellers idiot and weak hands nothing will change and the price will go down

arbitrage001
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 01:11:34 PM

These absurd low prices makes made me nervous.  If will buy more on Sunday, aditional 100 BTC between 300-350 $.  

I seriously doubt anyone who doesn't understand market have access to that much capital.

This new patch of buying mean you will have a total of 700 btc?

What is your exit plan?
Richard Branson

Activity: 515
Merit: 506

Screw It, Let's Do It

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2014, 01:13:11 PM

He doesn't talk about BTC, he is talking about microBTC (not mini).
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 01:22:05 PM

Of course.  Please sell. And don't forget that I still  have worthless  bitcoins  Smiley

Not quite worthless.
Just worth ~$40 less than same time yesterday.
And ~$150 less than when you started this thread.
 Smiley
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 01:23:28 PM

Not quite worthless.
 Smiley

And worth a lot more than what it was 2 years ago. Smiley
spiderbrain
Legendary

Activity: 889
Merit: 1013

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 01:27:24 PM

+1 (or very good at picking a bottom)

BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 01:28:20 PM

Not quite worthless.
 Smiley

And worth a lot more than what it was 2 years ago. Smiley

What does two year ago have to do with this thread?

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
RockHound

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 01:31:29 PM

Picking some more up tomorrow too - do it Ask!!   keep increasing your holdings brother (it's the only way to negate price volatility)
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 02:18:43 PM

These absurd low prices makes made me nervous.  If will buy more on Sunday, aditional 100 BTC between 300-350 $. 

Where do you get all the fiat to be able to spend 100 BTC? Considering it's an extremely risky thing to do right now because we have no idea when will panic seling stop.....
blade87

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 03:01:14 PM

Buying at $450, $400, $350, $300 etc... doesn't make much sense to me. But maybe that's just my style. I'd wait a little bit to see if I could get a better cost average and spread it out a bit more. At least if it keeps crashing, you're going to end up with a much better average buy in the long run. And if it doesn't, reverses, and begins a new up trend (which it probably won't any time soon), you've made good buys anyway.

This market has not even began it's long sideways accumulation period yet. There's plenty of time to get in at good prices if BTC will reach ATHs again one day.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: