Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:13:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can we have a "Digital Commodity" since BTC is a Digital Currency?  (Read 2379 times)
Fuzzy (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 09:10:07 PM
Last edit: April 30, 2012, 09:20:46 PM by Fuzzy

My greatest concern with using BitCoin is the Government trying to impose some sort of tax or stifling it in some way, as it is self classified as a currency. What we need is a Digital Commodity, to make trading between people more like "trading" than "selling/buying".

If I pay cash for a TV, the Govt will demand a slice in the form of sales Tax. However, if I were to trade a PS3 for said television, there is no "currency" involved.

Any ideas?

Edit: We need an economist in here, I've probably fudged the buy vs trade analogy right up. And how do those taxes work?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
artisbigshirts

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

dwda

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2012, 09:19:29 PM

Are bytes of data a commodity or a currency?
The information stored on your hard drive?

Can you trade a TV for a piece of software without the government whining?

//Kevin Risinger;
//Graphic Design;
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30623.0

//Donation Address;
1GgFzhP2ef
Fuzzy (OP)

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 09:21:41 PM

Can you [insert free activity] without the government whining?

Roll Eyes
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2012, 09:23:22 PM

Can you [insert free activity] without the government whining?

Roll Eyes

Tongue

Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 09:26:05 PM

it is self classified as a currency.

It is?   Undecided
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 09:27:28 PM

it is self classified as a currency.

It is?   Undecided

Bitcoin.org for the longest time has been calling it a digital currency and "money" if I'm not mistaken. Even at the CIA presentation, I think Gavin Andreson called it money, so yea, we're pretty fucked on that front already.

hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 09:28:43 PM

Please, let's not be so naive as to think that a thing potentially endangering the government's monopoly on money and their ability to tax would/could not get attacked by them becuase of what words we use to describe bitcoins..  Roll Eyes

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 09:30:14 PM

Please, let's not be so naive as to think that a thing potentially endangering the government's monopoly on money and their ability to tax would/could not get attacked by them becuase of what words we use to describe bitcoins..  Roll Eyes

Spirit of the law vs. Letter of the law. They'll get you on the spirit of the law, but they'll get you on the letter of the law even quicker.

Fuzzy (OP)

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 09:30:44 PM

Either way, that's about all there is to it I guess.
BusmasterDMA

Activity: 118

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 09:39:53 PM

Barter transactions are already subject to federal income tax (and probably sales tax in most jurisdictions):
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=187920,00.html
http://dor.wa.gov/Content/GetAFormOrPublication/PublicationBySubject/TaxTopics/Bartering.aspx

Bears.  Beets.  Battlestar Galactica.  Bitcoin.
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 09:55:58 PM

+1

Did you see what governments have tried (and failed) to do against p2p used to exchange songs and movies, when that was just threatening majors cartels?

So now what do you think will happen with a P2P technology the threaten THEIR power? Do be naive, to bring bitcoin and its benefits to society, we will have to fight against governments.

We should not care about what authorities think about bitcoins. Only what people think. Or simply give up now.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2012, 10:18:39 PM

Barter transactions are already subject to federal income tax (and probably sales tax in most jurisdictions):
http://dor.wa.gov/Content/GetAFormOrPublication/PublicationBySubject/TaxTopics/Bartering.aspx

Interesting, quoting from second link...

Bartering transactions are taxable
Imagine coming to work at your accounting business on a Monday morning and finding that the plumbing in the employee washroom has been leaking over the weekend. While insurance will cover the water damage, it will not pay for the new plumbing work. Fortunately, one of your clients is a plumber. So, you call Jake the Plumber and tell him your problem. The two of you agree that the work will cost an amount equivalent to six months’ accounting work. Jake does the work, you do his accounting work, and no money changes hands.

Is there any tax liability associated with this barter transaction? Yes!

I still don't get how there is any "tax liability" in there but will follow on this thread and try to learn from others.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2012, 10:22:12 PM

Interesting, quoting from second link...

Bartering transactions are taxable
Imagine coming to work at your accounting business on a Monday morning and finding that the plumbing in the employee washroom has been leaking over the weekend. While insurance will cover the water damage, it will not pay for the new plumbing work. Fortunately, one of your clients is a plumber. So, you call Jake the Plumber and tell him your problem. The two of you agree that the work will cost an amount equivalent to six months’ accounting work. Jake does the work, you do his accounting work, and no money changes hands.

Is there any tax liability associated with this barter transaction? Yes!

I still don't get how there is any "tax liability" in there but will follow on this thread and try to learn from others.
Seems to me there is always "tax liability" Sad

BusmasterDMA

Activity: 118

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 10:37:49 PM

A couple more links:
http://money.howstuffworks.com/bartering4.htm
http://biztaxlaw.about.com/od/businesstaxes/tp/barterinfo.htm

(I was only referring to the USA; I have no idea about elsewhere. Also IANAL.)

Bears.  Beets.  Battlestar Galactica.  Bitcoin.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 10:53:49 PM

Because the govt taxes TRANSACTIONS.  Transactions are "usually" in the form of fiat but making them not in fiat doesn't erase the tax liability.

Say Joe The Plumber is flexible and you need pipe repairs worth $300 done.

Joe The Plumber could accept $300 USD (fiat)
Joe The Plumber could accept 9 years of VPS hosting worth $300.
Joe The Pulmber could accept Gold coin worth $300.
Joe The Plumber could accept 60 BTC (worth $300).
Joe The plumber could accept 100 gift cert good for one Burger King Whopper each (worth $300).

In each instance a $300 transaction has taken place.  Joe has gained $300 in taxable income and if the state charges a sale tax then sales tax is due on the $300 each.

Bitcoin doesn't make that magically go away and making it a digital commodity has absolutely no relevance (according to the IRS and state agencies).
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2012, 12:30:53 AM

Because the govt taxes TRANSACTIONS.  Transactions are "usually" in the form of fiat but making them not in fiat doesn't erase the tax liability.

Joe The plumber could accept 100 gift cert good for one Burger King Whopper each (worth $300).

In each instance a $300 transaction has taken place.  Joe has gained $300 in taxable income and if the state charges a sale tax then sales tax is due on the $300 each.

Bitcoin doesn't make that magically go away and making it a digital commodity has absolutely no relevance (according to the IRS and state agencies).

Wait moment...
Because the govt taxes TRANSACTIONS...

people already pay a taxes on their income and assets, and now you tell that we pay a tax when exchanging those same assets between us ?

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 12:41:50 AM
Last edit: May 01, 2012, 01:02:02 AM by Blazr

people already pay a taxes on their income and assets, and now you tell that we pay a tax when exchanging those same assets between us ?

Depending on your country/state you can be liable for sales tax on transactions (also called VAT, GST).

If the good you purchase then goes up in value, you can be taxed on that as well in some places. All of this is usually on top of income taxes. Yep, taxes suck so bad.

hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 12:58:40 AM

In each instance a $300 transaction has taken place.  Joe has gained $300 in taxable income and if the state charges a sale tax then sales tax is due on the $300 each.

If you claim that the value was based on a negoitiated rate in btc and not the US Dollar then how would the government know how to value the transaction? Do they have a btc publication schedule on some website that I can download? The current market rate at MtGox at the point of coin transfer? Any exchange you see fit to use? A value at a specific point in time like when you are talking to the plumber on the phone? When he arrives at the house to start work? Two days later when the work is complete? If you have an open account with him then perhaps a week later when he mails you the invoice? Do you give the government a copy of the block chain on disk with the key as proof?

I think this subject has yet to be truly explored, tried or tested and cannot be answered with any certainty.

I think the answers to your questions are the same as the answer to the question: How does government tax barter?

I don't think it's hard let alone impossible to tax transactions in bitcoins, what could be hard though is knowing about transactions that aren't voluntarily declared much like undeclared paper cash or barter transactions. We're still lucky enough to not have a chip implanted in everyone of us or a probe hovering over our heads recording every step we make so we still have some freedom to hide from uncle Sam.

The argument that Bitcoin jeopardizes government's power to tax is based on being able to hide your activity and wealth rather than it being difficult for them to find a way to tax your Bitcoin transactions or wealth.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
BladeMcCool

Activity: 83

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 01:08:21 AM

If you work for McCool International, you are not allowed to give us your SSN or your real name. We operate on pseudonymns only. So, there will be no taxation. We have similar arrangements with our suppliers, and have a vertically integrated supply chain that is all operating pseudonymously without any reporting. Soon our inexepensive manufactured products will be available at black markets near you, and since we avoid all the bullshit middlemen and taxation we can certainly undercut the "lol abiding" (as we like to call them) competition.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 01:16:17 AM

If you work for McCool International, you are not allowed to give us your SSN or your real name. We operate on pseudonymns only. So, there will be no taxation. We have similar arrangements with our suppliers, and have a vertically integrated supply chain that is all operating pseudonymously without any reporting. Soon our inexepensive manufactured products will be available at black markets near you, and since we avoid all the bullshit middlemen and taxation we can certainly undercut the "lol abiding" (as we like to call them) competition.
Buzzwords detected, reading and comprehension threads forcibly aborted.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: