Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:36:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New difficulty hindering transactions?  (Read 1472 times)
Doktyr (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 08:56:24 PM

I understand the need for the difficulty to increase to keep the target amount of bitcoins being mined up to a set level but is waiting 4 hours to generate a block and get confirmations going to start hurting the economy?  The present round is taking forever and transactions that took 30 minutes two weeks ago now could reach the 8hr mark to be confirmed.

Hope this is a temporary situation.
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 08:59:34 PM

I understand the need for the difficulty to increase to keep the target amount of bitcoins being mined up to a set level but is waiting 4 hours to generate a block and get confirmations going to start hurting the economy?  The present round is taking forever and transactions that took 30 minutes two weeks ago now could reach the 8hr mark to be confirmed.

Hope this is a temporary situation.
Bitcoinmonitor is showing at least four blocks in the past hour. Bitcoincharts is showing an average of 7.2 blocks per hour.

I assume from your comment about "the present round" that you're looking at one mining pool in isolation, and not the entire network?

This space intentionally left blank.
Doktyr (OP)

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 09:07:16 PM

Looks like that may be the case.  I am pretty good at the mining side but the economy past transactions moving from the pool I am still new at.  My bitcoin client with my wallet has been showing 0/unconfirmed for 30 minutes now (not the pool payout) where I used to have 5 confirmations before an hour was up.  I was under the impression that once the network sees the transaction it takes solved blocks to create the confirmations.

Guess I will just watch and see.

LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 09:11:16 PM

My bitcoin client with my wallet has been showing 0/unconfirmed for 30 minutes now (not the pool payout) where I used to have 5 confirmations before an hour was up.
Could just be luck - except for one block a few minutes ago the rest were all over 30 minutes ago. Do you have 1 confirmation now?

This space intentionally left blank.
Doktyr (OP)

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 09:15:21 PM

Thanks for the link to bitcoin montor - looks like I requested the transaction right after the last block was generated (still 0/unconfirmed).  I guess I have just been spoiled by the speed of the last few weeks.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2011, 05:17:26 AM

Thanks for the link to bitcoin montor - looks like I requested the transaction right after the last block was generated (still 0/unconfirmed).  I guess I have just been spoiled by the speed of the last few weeks.

Often tx are not getting put in quickly if no fee is attached. Even at the new difficulty we have faster blocks that we 'should'.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Doktyr (OP)

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 09:39:59 AM

I always attach a fee to my transactions. It helps to be a good citizen if you want to see something grow.  As for my issue - my local bitcoin wallet jumped 4 confirmations in a 3 minute period a few minutes after my last post.  I wonder if it was just local blockchain update lag.  Thank for all the input.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: