Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:18:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Serious Problem-Transfer Wallet.dat to Online Wallet?  (Read 2608 times)
dmatthewstewart (OP)

Activity: 439
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 03:31:09 AM

Ok-Im still a n00b but there is what happened. My bitcoin client on my windows machine stopped working. But I had already copied my wallet.dat to my thumb drive. So I tried to reinstall the bitcoin client and replace the wallet.dat file with my saved one. It didnt work. My machine is dual boot with Ubuntu. So I downloaded and installed a Ubuntu client and couldnt get the wallet to copy over. Nothing is corrupt and I dont understand it

So is there any online wallet that will allow me to just import my wallet.dat?

I have looked all over the web and all of the solutions for moving, importing, fixing wallet issues do not help me.

There is about 5 BTC in this wallet. I would even split the amount in half if someone else could just copy the wallet to a client and send me half. It just took me forever to build up to to the 11 BTC I had. I spent 6, then my computer crashed. Now I have no idea how to get the last 5 coins out of that wallet.

So if there isnt an online service that I can just copy my wallet.dat file if not is anyone willing to do the dirty work to extract my coins?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 03:41:22 AM

Ok-Im still a n00b but there is what happened. My bitcoin client on my windows machine stopped working. But I had already copied my wallet.dat to my thumb drive. So I tried to reinstall the bitcoin client and replace the wallet.dat file with my saved one. It didnt work. My machine is dual boot with Ubuntu. So I downloaded and installed a Ubuntu client and couldnt get the wallet to copy over. Nothing is corrupt and I dont understand it

So is there any online wallet that will allow me to just import my wallet.dat?

I have looked all over the web and all of the solutions for moving, importing, fixing wallet issues do not help me.

There is about 5 BTC in this wallet. I would even split the amount in half if someone else could just copy the wallet to a client and send me half. It just took me forever to build up to to the 11 BTC I had. I spent 6, then my computer crashed. Now I have no idea how to get the last 5 coins out of that wallet.

So if there isnt an online service that I can just copy my wallet.dat file if not is anyone willing to do the dirty work to extract my coins?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Dump the keys from the wallet.dat file by using pywallet : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34028.0
and running the command pywallet.py -dumpwallet
Import them into https://blockchain.info/wallet/ and immediately use the blockchain.info service to send all your btc to your new wallet/address.

Tips appreciated below  Grin
dmatthewstewart (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 04:01:31 AM

Ive never used Python before but it seems pretty straight forward. And I just started using the Wallet on Block Chain [DOT] info but the site has been down all day.

Once I dump the keys using that command the wallet.dat will be ready just to import into BlockChainDOTinfo via their import/export feature? If this works for me I will split the amount with you. I shouldve just asked this question months ago and Iwouldve saved myself a lot of time and dealing with reading through tons of bitcoin jargon.

I was going top try and just use bitminter (I thought someone said I can import the wallet.dat into that) but for some reason that wont open either-even when I made an exception for the pop-up blocker in firefox.

dmatthewstewart (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 04:03:34 AM

Also what about http://bitcoinarmory.com/ ? Is that a service I can just copy and paste my wallet.dat into? Im jsut lazy and looking for the easiest way out Smiley Thats why I was offering to send the wallet.dat to someone and have them do it and splitting the coins with them!

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 04:10:32 AM

Bitcoinarmory is another client, that'll be more hassle if you just want your coins fast. Try https://www.strongcoin.com
They're another online wallet provider with no privatekeys shared with them so you can't lose your coins to them. Just dump the keys and import it there.
dmatthewstewart (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 04:31:54 AM

Also my wallet.dat is a standalone file right now on my thumb drive. So will the python work for dumping the keys or do I need a full bitcoin client installed and running to do so?

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 12:33:34 PM

Also my wallet.dat is a standalone file right now on my thumb drive. So will the python work for dumping the keys or do I need a full bitcoin client installed and running to do so?

The python will work for dumping the keys, no need for the bitcoin client to be installed at all. Just remember to make more backups of it.
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2012, 12:42:56 PM

Does the Bitcoin client not run at all, or does it not display the wallet's balance and transactions? If the latter, try running Bitcoin with the -rescan parameter.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Gatorhex

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 09:46:48 PM
Last edit: October 17, 2012, 09:59:12 PM by Gatorhex

I have the solution to the problem of getting you wallet from windows to linux (not the online)
after fighting with it all day and finally figuring it out,
if it helps anyone and they want to reward me (not expecting anything),
My address is 12fuR1FF753m9E5PKiK6wU7RSHX23WoQng

Install Bitcoin

(assuming you have a copy of your wallet.dat file first in a safe place)

delete the contents of your bitcoin directory (it's a hidden directory so you need to enable view hidden files)

Ubuntu = Home\.bitcoin

Windows XP = C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Application data\Bitcoin

Vista/7 = C:\Users\YourUserName\Appdata\Roaming\Bitcoin

Dissable all network connections

Start the bitcoin program

Once it's finished loading, close it.

Now copy your wallet.dat file into the bitcoin directory

Enable your internet connections

Start the bitcoin program and it will work

(You can see your old wallet addresses and the blocks start downloading without giving an error.)

Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: