Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:52:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] GLBSE has a new look!  (Read 5294 times)
BinaryMage

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

Ad astra.

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 12:42:07 AM

There really isn't a reason to extend prices all the way to 8 decimal places on the main assets page; 2 should be plenty.  It'd make the overall page a lot cleaner.

I'd also agree with above comments about too much space between rows.

Overall though, great update, thanks for all your work on the site!

I would differ; I'm all for accuracy. More digits may not be important for all stocks, but they are for some.

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Cyberdyne

Activity: 630

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 12:58:37 AM

There really isn't a reason to extend prices all the way to 8 decimal places on the main assets page; 2 should be plenty.  It'd make the overall page a lot cleaner.

I would differ; I'm all for accuracy. More digits may not be important for all stocks, but they are for some.

In that case, may I suggest a compromise?

If you see the bet amounts on bitcoinrps.com, the significant figures are written in black, and the opacity of the remaining zeros is dropped lower.

Bitcoinica also does a similar thing where they write the first few digits large, and then the remaining ones in a smaller font.
BinaryMage

Ad astra.

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 01:06:50 AM

There really isn't a reason to extend prices all the way to 8 decimal places on the main assets page; 2 should be plenty.  It'd make the overall page a lot cleaner.

In that case, may I suggest a compromise?

If you see the bet amounts on bitcoinrps.com, the significant figures are written in black, and the opacity of the remaining zeros is dropped lower.

Bitcoinica also does a similar thing where they write the first few digits large, and then the remaining ones in a smaller font.

I prefer Bitcoinica's approach; it fits well with Bootstrap. Not sure how easy it would be to implement, though.

gabbynot

Activity: 341
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 01:21:49 AM

Accuracy is important, especially when you're looking at the stock-specific page; but for the main assets page 2 or 3 decimal places should be fine.

Long-term, it'd be great for users to have their own "favorites" stocks they like to track, which could be set up through their preference settings.  When GLBSE gets to be 300-400 stocks large, you want a way for users to visually pare that back a bit to just assets they're interested in.

A real-time streaming ticker would be awesome at some point, but that might be asking too much at this stage.  Smiley
BinaryMage

Ad astra.

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 01:23:07 AM

A real-time streaming ticker would be awesome at some point, but that might be asking too much at this stage.  Smiley

http://twitter.com/#!/glbse

Basically the same thing.

gabbynot

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 01:27:28 AM

A real-time streaming ticker would be awesome at some point, but that might be asking too much at this stage.  Smiley

http://twitter.com/#!/glbse

Basically the same thing.

Didn't realize that was available, thanks!
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 01:30:07 AM

Thanks for the new site, and changing the "Ask" ordering.

Should the depth charts be cumulative?  I know there are different views on that, but the point by point ones have less information content.
stochastic

Activity: 532

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 01:48:44 AM

Long-term, it'd be great for users to have their own "favorites" stocks they like to track, which could be set up through their preference settings.  When GLBSE gets to be 300-400 stocks large, you want a way for users to visually pare that back a bit to just assets they're interested in.

A real-time streaming ticker would be awesome at some point, but that might be asking too much at this stage.  Smiley

IMO all of these suggestions should be done by 3rd parties and not GLBSE.  Does anyone go to nyse.com to track the stocks they are interested?

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
BinaryMage

Ad astra.

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 01:52:09 AM

IMO all of these suggestions should be done by 3rd parties and not GLBSE.  Does anyone go to nyse.com to track the stocks they are interested?
[/quote]

Does GLBSE offer some sort of parsable market stream?

PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 02:02:35 AM

I currently import the market data into a spreadsheet for analysis and updates to allow me to track portfolio value and a few other things.  It's on a schedule, but I can refresh when I need to.  I don't bother with every trade (but I think that's available).

So, yes, the data should be around.
stochastic

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 02:09:54 AM
Last edit: May 02, 2012, 02:20:02 AM by stochastic

I currently import the market data into a spreadsheet for analysis and updates to allow me to track portfolio value and a few other things.  It's on a schedule, but I can refresh when I need to.  I don't bother with every trade (but I think that's available).

I have added a link to all updated history starting on April 2, 2012 here.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
BinaryMage

Ad astra.

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 02:18:55 AM

I currently import the market data into a spreadsheet for analysis and updates to allow me to track portfolio value and a few other things.  It's on a schedule, but I can refresh when I need to.  I don't bother with every trade (but I think that's available).

I have added a link to all updated history starting on April 2, 2012 [ DO NOT POST SESC LINKS ]here[/url].

You linked with your session ID; the thread is here.

How are you getting the raw market data? Are you pulling it off Twitter, or does Nefario offer that publicly?

stochastic

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 02:21:17 AM

I have added a link to all updated history starting on April 2, 2012 [ DO NOT POST SESC LINKS ]here[/url].

You linked with your session ID; the thread is here.

How are you getting the raw market data? Are you pulling it off Twitter, or does Nefario offer that publicly?

Lol, fixed that.

I just pull it off of using the Twitter API then make it look nice in a table.  I have it update every hour for now.

gabbynot

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 02:23:45 AM

Does anyone go to nyse.com to track the stocks they are interested?

No, but the NYSE isn't the custodian of everybody's assets, either.
stochastic

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 02:26:18 AM

Quote from: Stochastic
Does anyone go to nyse.com to track the stocks they are interested?

No, but the NYSE isn't the custodian of everybody's assets, either.

A yahoo/google finance style site would be better considering there is more than one (and hopefully more) bitcoin denominated security exchange.

bitfoo
Donator

Activity: 289

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 02:44:24 AM

The new look is great, API is appreciated too (haven't looked into it yet, but will do soon).

I've almost made a wrong trade twice due to the following mixup:

I see "ASK 0.622" and instinctively go to put my own ASK there, type in the qty and price, and then realize that the button next to it is labeled "BUY", which is not exactly what I wanted to do. Maybe removing the words "ASK" and "BID" or making them much smaller than "BUY" and "SELL" would help? On Bitcoinica, for example, the BUY and SELL buttons are big enough that they draw attention first and there's no confusion.

stochastic

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 02:45:27 AM

The new look is great, API is appreciated too (haven't looked into it yet, but will do soon).

I've almost made a wrong trade twice due to the following mixup:

I see "ASK 0.622" and instinctively go to put my own ASK there, type in the qty and price, and then realize that the button next to it is labeled "BUY", which is not exactly what I wanted to do. Maybe removing the words "ASK" and "BID" or making them much smaller than "BUY" and "SELL" would help? On Bitcoinica, for example, the BUY and SELL buttons are big enough that they draw attention first and there's no confusion.

I did the same thing.

Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2012, 03:15:30 AM

IMO all of these suggestions should be done by 3rd parties and not GLBSE.  Does anyone go to nyse.com to track the stocks they are interested?

That's not really going to happen, they SHOULD be done but who's going to bother (unless there is money in it), so until then we'll try our best to do so.

GLBSE has a fairly well documented and easy to use API now, documentation here:
https://glbse.com/info/api

It covers live streaming, buy/sell, poprtfolio and market data.

You think buy/sell would be improved by sizing down the bid/ask text? I was wondering on how to reduce confusion on this.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
BinaryMage

Ad astra.

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 03:30:45 AM

That's not really going to happen, they SHOULD be done but who's going to bother (unless there is money in it), so until then we'll try our best to do so.

GLBSE has a fairly well documented and easy to use API now, documentation here:
https://glbse.com/info/api

It covers live streaming, buy/sell, poprtfolio and market data.

You think buy/sell would be improved by sizing down the bid/ask text? I was wondering on how to reduce confusion on this.

Hmm.

Code:
curl -kG https://glbse.com/api/BFLS/TICKER
gets me a "Not Found".
Code:
curl -kG https://glbse.com/api/asset/BFLS
gets me "could not connect to host". Am I using the wrong URL?

EDIT: Ah, second one works now. Must have just timed out that once.

Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2012, 04:28:37 AM

I'm working on speeding up the site.

Expect significant improvements in the next few days.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: