Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:35:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin price cannot fall infinitely  (Read 2473 times)
Sevvero

Activity: 350
Merit: 255

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 08:32:07 PM

Miners ? what about the other 12 million Bitcoin ? if only 5% of that 12 million hit these thin book orders of today's exchanges...Bitcoin will not hold $100 and not $400
Exactly, this shit is going down. $413 already. Still holding fools?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mmitech
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

things you own end up owning you

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 08:33:54 PM

How comforting is that to you ?

hayabusa911

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 08:35:09 PM

I don't think BTC/$ will fall a lot below $400 simply because miners will stop selling coins below cost of production. Miners currently provide large percentage of the bitcoins sold on exchanges.

I don't understand this logic, so they will stop selling and pay their electricity cost out of pocket? which will end up costing them more money out of pocket. No, they will sell Bitcoin at any market price to get at least something back to pay for their hardware and electricity. If anything, dropping price will prompt them to sell even more if they have hoarded some coins, so they could afford to pay their bills.

PoW mining expense is the reason the price is dropping.
Exactly, some people here are delusional.

And some are just dicks.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 02:29:09 AM

I disagree that Bitcoin price cannot decrease further, because miners are a very small proportion of Bitcoin sellers.

But I'm currently bullish and believe that we're near a minimum.
spiderbrain
Legendary

Activity: 889
Merit: 1013

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 02:54:40 AM

Power used to be a significant cost in bitcoin mining, now it's hardware deprecation. If you don't mine for a month the difficulty will have gone up so much you will have lost out on 20% of your potential income. However, the way prices are going now, I think there will be less and less people investing in new mining hardware, so the difficulty rate will stop increasing as fast. This will go on to make it easier for people who already own mining hardware by reducing the deprecation rate, consequently taking the price pressure off bitcoin. That will be where the bottom forms, but how low does it have to go to get there? Who knows, 400 might hold, 340 is more likely, 270 very likely in my opinion.

giantdragon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 03:35:53 AM

However, the way prices are going now, I think there will be less and less people investing in new mining hardware, so the difficulty rate will stop increasing as fast. This will go on to make it easier for people who already own mining hardware by reducing the deprecation rate, consequently taking the price pressure off bitcoin.
Even if hash rate growth will slow down it won't stop completely. Miners will fear depreciation of their rigs and run them even at loss (likely saving mined coins in hope of price increase and paying electric bills from own money).
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 06:14:22 AM

Power used to be a significant cost in bitcoin mining, now it's hardware deprecation. If you don't mine for a month the difficulty will have gone up so much you will have lost out on 20% of your potential income. However, the way prices are going now, I think there will be less and less people investing in new mining hardware, so the difficulty rate will stop increasing as fast. This will go on to make it easier for people who already own mining hardware by reducing the deprecation rate, consequently taking the price pressure off bitcoin. That will be where the bottom forms, but how low does it have to go to get there? Who knows, 400 might hold, 340 is more likely, 270 very likely in my opinion.

That's true, although this is a process with high inertia - hash power put online today was probably paid for and ordered quite a while back. Also, some businesses have investor money to spend and they can expand keeping in mind the future price of bitcoin - not selling now.

I agree that this should all form a solid shortage of coins, once the panic cools down.

i am satoshi
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 06:20:04 AM

Miners ? what about the other 12 million Bitcoin ? if only 5% of that 12 million hit these thin book orders of today's exchanges...Bitcoin will not hold $100 and not $400

you sold everything right? it's normal to react in this way, when you are not attached to your thing again

devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 07:01:23 AM

you sold everything right? it's normal to react in this way, when you are not attached to your thing again

It's actually Investing 101 lesson that you should not have an emotional attachment to your investment Smiley
nemo

Activity: 500
Merit: 253

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 07:06:15 AM

Listen. Some miners are fucked. They bought un returnable, unsellable rigs, they rent storage space. They have absolutely no choice whatsoever but to sell their coins. They're run by businessmen who made a mistake. Not 16 year old boys who suck off satoshi and have wet dreams about the Fed burning down. Not spartans who hodl. This is how the game is. Some miners buy their chips for 1/10th of what you and I would have to pay. Some countries are cold and have cheap electricity. Saying a bitcoin costs $400 to make is naive. Saying this is a good price is retarded. Ontop of that you have tons of factors. Miners will sell because they have no choice. They have to pay their shit using fiat. Some of you guys are so dumb.
twiifm

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 07:40:10 AM

Some of you guys are so dumb.

I'm gonna miss all the comedy gold when bitcoin dies.   Cry
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 07:44:02 AM

Listen. Some miners are fucked. They bought un returnable, unsellable rigs, they rent storage space. They have absolutely no choice whatsoever but to sell their coins. They're run by businessmen who made a mistake. Not 16 year old boys who suck off satoshi and have wet dreams about the Fed burning down. Not spartans who hodl. This is how the game is. Some miners buy their chips for 1/10th of what you and I would have to pay. Some countries are cold and have cheap electricity. Saying a bitcoin costs $400 to make is naive. Saying this is a good price is retarded. Ontop of that you have tons of factors. Miners will sell because they have no choice. They have to pay their shit using fiat. Some of you guys are so dumb.
You would say the same thing about gold, right?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
twiifm

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 07:46:10 AM

You would say the same thing about gold, right?

Have you seen gold miners ETF?
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 07:46:33 AM

Unless having a Solar farm high in the Siberian mountains for mining. Then after initial investment free coins Cheesy

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
yefi
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 1511

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 12:49:40 PM

How comforting is that to you ?

Yeah, the Bitstamp order book looks horrible. You'd think more people would want to catch a btc-e style flash crash, but obviously not.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 02:43:38 PM

It's actually Investing 101 lesson that you should not have an emotional attachment to your investment Smiley

who said that was emotional?
mmitech
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

things you own end up owning you

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 02:47:38 PM

who said that was emotional?

I am not attached to this investment or any other investment, I try to be as objective as possible... and this didnt fail me, the only time I lost money was when I listened to perma-bulls or perma-bears, you have to find a healthy balance and more objectivity.
valdepretium

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 03:08:53 PM

Unless having a Solar farm high in the Siberian mountains for mining. Then after initial investment free coins Cheesy

But what kind of network connection do you think you could get in a location like that? Satellite bandwidth surely ain't cheap.
devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 03:58:56 PM

I am not attached to this investment or any other investment, I try to be as objective as possible... and this didnt fail me, the only time I lost money was when I listened to perma-bulls or perma-bears, you have to find a healthy balance and more objectivity.

+1 we all have to remind ourselves to remember to follow these wise words.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: