Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:19:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Prediction: Dwolla will get bought by a huge banking conglomerate  (Read 3704 times)
barbarousrelic (OP)

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 03:03:35 PM

. . . and abandon its support for Mt.Gox. Will things keep on going smoothly without them? Maybe it will not make a huge difference, we have BitInstant, but it is something to be aware of.

I am virtually certain they will get bought, it happens to so many similar companies.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BusmasterDMA

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 03:52:02 PM

Or if not by a banking conglomerate, perhaps by a large tech company such as Facebook or Google.

Bears.  Beets.  Battlestar Galactica.  Bitcoin.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2012, 04:23:25 PM

. . . and abandon its support for Mt.Gox. Will things keep on going smoothly without them? Maybe it will not make a huge difference, we have BitInstant, but it is something to be aware of.

I am virtually certain they will get bought, it happens to so many similar companies.

Right now, Dwolla fills a void. They do 2 things- verification of a customer and ACH

We've gotten an ACH license to pull directly from your accounts, right now our biggest hurdle is the verification and KYC stuff.

Hopefully that should be sorted in weeks time and we will easily replace Dwolla.

Once you can use Bitinstant to do ACH for a fraction of the current cost, then Dwolla will become redundant. They will lose alot of revenue to Bitinstant and to Bitcoin.

Don't forget, a nice chunk of Dwolla's % monthly revenue stream comes from Bitcoin. They know it, and we know it. Why do you think they still work with us?

Our reliance on Dwolla will soon go away!! Just need to hang in there a little longer  Grin

-Charlie

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
tarrant_01

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 04:34:09 PM

a fraction of the current cost

Isn't their current cost 25 cents for each transaction? That's pretty cheap.  Do you plan on matching that instead of the 3.99% fee now?

1P95gCUCw3Tjb7yyoYtW3ARZZQyTpFgk6H
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2012, 04:42:28 PM

Isn't their current cost 25 cents for each transaction? That's pretty cheap.  Do you plan on matching that instead of the 3.99% fee now?

The 3.99% fee is only for cash deposits.

Dwolla's fee is $0.25 but it takes 7 days to get verified and set up.

If I can do ACH for about 1%, but the turnover is about 24 hours, would you pay it?

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 04:56:32 PM

Dwolla's ACH turnover is 3-5 business days

if you can do it within 24 hours, 1% is pretty reasonable
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 04:57:40 PM

Dwolla's ACH turnover is 3-5 business days

if you can do it within 24 hours, 1% is pretty reasonable
+1

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
EuSouBitcoin

Activity: 490
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 05:07:17 PM

If I can do ACH for about 1%, but the turnover is about 24 hours, would you pay it?

It depends on the amount of money. Less than $25, 1% is better. More than $25, $0.25 is better. If I'm transferring $5,000 from my checking account to Mt Gox would I rather pay $50 for BitInstant vs slower service from Dwolla for $0.25? It depends on how much of a hurry I'm in. I see room for both services. We have convenience stores that offer quick shopping but cost more and we have big grocery stores with lower cost but it takes more time to get in and out. +1 for offering the service. Competition is good for the Bitcoin consumer.

You can't win if you don't play. But you can't play if you lose all your chips. First I found bitcoin (BTC). Then I found something better, Monero (XMR). See GetMonero.org
Andrew Bitcoiner

Activity: 396
Merit: 250

Send correspondance to GPG key A372E7C6

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2012, 05:09:41 PM

I know I am betting on BitInstant blowing Dwolla away.

BitInstant just needs mobile apps.

MAKE MONEY! ADVERTISE FOR BITCOINS http://www.bitcoinadvertising.com
Bitcoin News Site http://coinbits.com
Bitcoin Blackjack http://bitjack21.com
Bitcoin, Darknet, IT consulting http://cryptophene.com
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 05:51:52 PM

Isn't their current cost 25 cents for each transaction? That's pretty cheap.  Do you plan on matching that instead of the 3.99% fee now?

When my Dwolla account receives cash, its automatically moved to my checking account, and shows up within 2 business days.  I'd much rather pay $0.25 than 1%, even if you claim you can cut the wait time in half (2 days -> 1 day).  How long it takes to verify your account the first time is pretty irrelevant.

A 1% fee is simply too high to process a withdrawal.  It would cost me at least 50x what I pay Dwolla, if not more.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 05:57:44 PM

When my Dwolla account receives cash, its automatically moved to my checking account, and shows up within 2 business days.  I'd much rather pay $0.25 than 1%, even if you claim you can cut the wait time in half (2 days -> 1 day).  How long it takes to verify your account the first time is pretty irrelevant.

A 1% fee is simply too high to process a withdrawal.  I'd be paying you at least 50x what I pay Dwolla, if not more.

I've used Dwolla many times to move money from the Bank to Gox. There have been occasions where it took 10 calendar days before the money appeared in Dwolla, and the average time I'd say is 5-6 calendar days (including weekends). The Bitcoin price can often change by more than 1% in less time then that, so waiting a week just to save 1% might actually cost you both a week and more than 1%.

Everyone will have a different time-preference for their money, of course, but given the volatile nature of BTC, speed is very valuable.
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 05:58:32 PM

I've used Dwolla many times to move money from the Bank to Gox. There have been occasions where it took 10 calendar days before the money appeared in Dwolla, and the average time I'd say is 5-6 calendar days (including weekends). The Bitcoin price can often change by more than 1% in less time then that, so waiting a week just to save 1% might actually cost you both a week and more than 1%.

Everyone will have a different time-preference for their money, of course, but given the volatile nature of BTC, speed is very valuable.

I'm talking only about withdrawals, not deposits.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2012, 06:05:23 PM

I'm talking only about withdrawals, not deposits.

We are strictly talking about deposits here. Deposits are more expensive because we need to verify identity and KYC

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 07:51:39 PM

The more appropriate question is ... knowing the levels of ACH fraud that occurs can you actually provide that service for 1%?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2012, 08:24:53 PM

The more appropriate question is ... knowing the levels of ACH fraud that occurs can you actually provide that service for 1%?

Thats the hard part, working on it.

dustintrammell
VIP

Activity: 156
Merit: 103

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2012, 12:42:25 AM

Honestly, no.  I'm in no hurry to move money around, and $0.25 is significantly cheaper than 1% for me, considering I max out my Dwolla transfer limit with every transfer.  I'm guessing I'm not the average customer though.

Dustin D. Trammell
Twitter: @druidian
PGP: E0DC F55C 9386 1691 A67F FB18 F6D9 5E52 FDA6 6E16
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 01:38:54 AM

I agree with the prediction. I've used Dwolla for many small transactions, but Bit-Instant for more money transfered. Add to that the Tradehill fiasco, and I would stop using Dwolla altogether if Bit-Instant offered 1% transfers in a day or two.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
miscreanity
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 07:09:46 AM

Absolutely.
barbarousrelic (OP)

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 10:09:49 AM

Why do cash deposits have a higher fee? Doesn't that method have zero possibly of reversals and the lowest fraud?

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2012, 01:25:22 PM

Why do cash deposits have a higher fee? Doesn't that method have zero possibly of reversals and the lowest fraud?

Its the most expensive and least profitable revenue stream for us. We have merchant fees associated with doing cash deposits.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: