Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 01:38:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bankers Ask Fed to Regulate Bitcoin  (Read 1850 times)
MicroGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2014, 01:20:06 AM
Last edit: September 19, 2014, 01:32:53 AM by MicroGuy

In a recently released meeting summary, of the Federal Advisory Council (FAC), which is composed of twelve representatives of the banking industry, it became clear that their agenda moving forward will include the regulation of cryptocurrencies.

While the bankers do not yet perceive Bitcoin and other digital currencies as viable competitors to their financial monopoly, the bankers did state that Bitcoin “regulation is advisable”, citing various security concerns that could continue to hinder its adoption, like price instability and numerous exchange failures.

The bankers, however, did not rule out embracing the digital currency and did suggest ways in which the banking industry could engage and participate.

"Should adoption accelerate, banking could participate increasingly in Bitcoin fund flows, especially as multicurrency accounts proliferate and reputational concerns subside."

It was recommended that Bitcoin be subject to the same anti-money-laundering laws, including Know-Your-Consumer, that banks are subjected to.  Moreover, the bankers recommended that Bitcoin be subjected to the suspicious activities reports (SARs) in which banks must currently comply.

Bitcoin is a software-based online payment system described by Satoshi Nakamoto in 2008 and introduced as open-source software in 2009. Payments are recorded in a public ledger using its own unit of account, which is also called bitcoin.

Nakamoto disappeared in early 2010 with over 1 million bitcoins that he had mined while maintaining the lion’s share of the network hashrate.

Full Story: http://altcoinpress.com/2014/09/bankers-ask-fed-to-regulate-cryptocurrencies/
Verse

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 01:41:19 AM

It was recommended that Bitcoin be subject to the same anti-money-laundering laws, including Know-Your-Consumer, that banks are subjected to.  Moreover, the bankers recommended that Bitcoin be subjected to the suspicious activities reports (SARs) in which banks must currently comply.
The story here is that these bankers have no bloody idea what the FED does. FinCEN (U.S. Treasury Department) is responsible for SARs. Anti-money-laundering laws are enacted by congress.

Christ, these people just point at a random government institution and say "Regulate this#!@"

EDIT: I've read the FAC report that this article has completely misrepresented. The bankers report that Bitcoin does not pose a systematic risk to the banking system and state that they expect future regulation to mitigate any future risk it may pose. I liked their language, they view Bitcoin as a burgeoning threat.

The article you've quoted is idiotic and its title is inaccurate.
cfdbit

Activity: 2

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 02:50:17 AM

I read the report too, it was interesting.

http://www.federalreserve.gov/aboutthefed/fac-20140513.pdf
MicroGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2014, 03:00:14 AM

The article you've quoted is idiotic

Here's the idiotic video version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldv3GFxCMsE
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 03:03:45 AM

You looked drunk.

desticy

Activity: 1512
Merit: 292

www.cd3d.app

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 03:07:33 AM

The Fed said that Bitcoin is the free market, no one can Regulate it Grin

lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 03:17:07 AM

How much alcohol did you drink before making the video? Cheesy

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
Hunyadi
Legendary

Activity: 1281

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 04:35:22 AM

Yes, good luck trying to regulate it  Grin Current exchanges are a different story...waiting for P2P exchange.

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░B**-Cultist░▒▓█▇▅▃▂
lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 04:54:37 AM

absolutely! The individuals or companies dealing with bitcoin can be regulated. But the blockchain is impossible to be controlled.
barwizi
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 08:18:29 AM

Nakamoto disappeared in early 2010 with over 1 million bitcoins that he had mined while maintaining the lion’s share of the network hashrate.

Oy, i'm right here!!! stop spreading FUD!!!
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 08:54:12 AM

Yes, good luck trying to regulate it  Grin Current exchanges are a different story...waiting for P2P exchange.
There are some decentralized exchanges out there now, for example Asset Exchange in Nxt, Stellar, BTSX etc.

pikabit

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 05:05:03 PM

Microguy is hilarious lol
kodtycoon
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 06:13:36 PM

Yes, good luck trying to regulate it  Grin Current exchanges are a different story...waiting for P2P exchange.

that already exists.. :/

well.. nearly.. a friggin major improvement on traditional crypto exchanges anyway.

http://multigateway.org/

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███   

██████████

██████   

███████████

███████████████   

███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3262

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 06:17:44 PM

This is very old news.

Here is a link to the actual document: http://www.federalreserve.gov/aboutthefed/fac-20140513.pdf

Note the date: Friday, May 9, 2014

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Verse

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 07:08:42 PM

That's the first time I've gotten a video response. It feels weird. I only watched a few seconds of it, you seemed to be a bit drunk. I did not mean my first post as a personal attack, just bashing some misinformation. If you'd like a discussion then I'd prefer text format.

The FED can't exert any control over Bitcoin whatsoever, unless congress passes a law expanding their power or Bitcoin becomes a staple of the balance sheets of major banks. The FED's toolkit is very limited and can only be used to macroeconomic ends. For instance the FED could tighten credit credit by selling off bonds, thereby restoring yields to lower risk assets and theoretically drive down the price of riskier assets like Bitcoin. But that would violate the FED's tenants of price stability and maximum sustainable employment by screwing with the entire economy in an attempt to exert control over a specific asset.

The notes from the FAC states that the FED expects other government agencies to deal with Bitcoin. The FED cannot directly exert influence on any of these other agencies, so they essentially washed their hands of the cryptocurrency discussion in D.C. back in May when this report was published.
ihuntbtc

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 07:12:12 PM

In other news, banks are scared
bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2014, 07:12:26 PM

they should help BTC and not regulate it. Cool Cool

leannemckim46

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 10:38:35 PM

The story here is that these bankers have no bloody idea what the FED does. FinCEN (U.S. Treasury Department) is responsible for SARs. Anti-money-laundering laws are enacted by congress.

Christ, these people just point at a random government institution and say "Regulate this#!@"

EDIT: I've read the FAC report that this article has completely misrepresented. The bankers report that Bitcoin does not pose a systematic risk to the banking system and state that they expect future regulation to mitigate any future risk it may pose. I liked their language, they view Bitcoin as a burgeoning threat.

The article you've quoted is idiotic and its title is inaccurate.
Laws are generally written in a way so that federal agencies need to implement rules for people to comply with. They are also not written in a way so that there is only a very narrow interpretation of how the law is to be carried out.

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
RISE
Verse

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 01:08:07 AM

Laws are generally written in a way so that federal agencies need to implement rules for people to comply with. They are also not written in a way so that there is only a very narrow interpretation of how the law is to be carried out.
I don't know if you mean to imply that I would disagree with this statement? Because I agree with it. I don't think I've implied otherwise.

I'll say it again: The U.S. Federal Reserve is not that agency. Also the FED isn't technically a federal agency, at least according to a 1982 court ruling. Furthermore Know-Your-Consumer is also the responsibility of FinCEN, a federal agency created by the Treasury Department.
kingscrown

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

http://fuk.io - check it out!

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2014, 01:52:42 AM

i like the drunk video actually Smiley original style!

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: