Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 10:29:49 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What should I do with my miner?  (Read 1803 times)
Distribution (OP)

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 02:42:27 PM

Almost a year ago, I bought an Avalon 60gh/s miner. It's a batch 2 I believe. I had a problem with it at one point which permanently reduced it's hashing power to about 50 gh/s. It still mines, but I'm moving and it's no longer going to be profitable for me to run it. What should I do with it? The obvious answer is to sell it. A guy who lives in school housing wanted to buy it, but we couldn't get it to work on the locked down network. Plus, at this point, I might be better off selling the power supply and router separately. Is there something better I could do with it? Donate it to a museum? Send it to Dominica? Gut it, turn the router into a piratebox and store change in the case? Suggestions?
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 03:17:55 PM

Almost a year ago, I bought an Avalon 60gh/s miner. It's a batch 2 I believe. I had a problem with it at one point which permanently reduced it's hashing power to about 50 gh/s. It still mines, but I'm moving and it's no longer going to be profitable for me to run it. What should I do with it? The obvious answer is to sell it. A guy who lives in school housing wanted to buy it, but we couldn't get it to work on the locked down network. Plus, at this point, I might be better off selling the power supply and router separately. Is there something better I could do with it? Donate it to a museum? Send it to Dominica? Gut it, turn the router into a piratebox and store change in the case? Suggestions?

The Chinese way to dispose of them:

Sell what you can and the rest to the recycling center.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 01:58:54 AM

Sell mining bonds to idiots.

matt4054
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 02:09:01 AM

I also have obsolete miners, like an ASICMiner Blade v1 that I bought for 50 BTC back in the days. I keep them as collector items just in case, and that's the only thing that I could recommend at this point. All of my miners (about 2 THS worth) have been unplugged for weeks now, even those at 1W/GHS. Maybe I'll move them to a friend's garage where he doesn't pay for power, but again that would just be anecdotal.

Bitcoin mining is just not worth it at the moment IMHO.
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 11:48:53 AM

Landfill it or try to unload on some idiot on ebay for $20 plus shipping.
MiningBuddy

Activity: 927

฿itcoin ฿itcoin ฿itcoin

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 11:51:54 AM

Repurpose the case and heatsinks for something maybe?  Undecided

jontrue

Activity: 704

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 01:24:36 PM

Sell all  ASICMiner
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2014, 06:25:34 PM

Try eBay with no reserve.
hedgy73
Legendary

Merit: 1077

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 10:28:21 PM

People still buying hardware like this on ebay, put on as low start price listing and see what you get.

Some completed listings results: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=avalon+60+gh%2Fs+bitcoin+mner&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 11:12:03 PM

People still buying hardware like this on ebay, put on as low start price listing and see what you get.

Some completed listings results: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=avalon+60+gh%2Fs+bitcoin+mner&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

Check "sold" listings, not "completed". And also look at the dates... Nothing has sold since mid-august.
hedgy73
Legendary

Merit: 1077

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 12:51:01 AM

Check "sold" listings, not "completed". And also look at the dates... Nothing has sold since mid-august.

Sorry my mistake Embarrassed.
sestertius753

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2014, 01:30:51 AM

Mine SHA256 altcoins, not for profit but because you like their ideas and you want to support their network. Once I have an SHA256 mining operation set up, I plan on dedicating some of my hashrate to Mazacoin because I think it's a great idea and I want to support them.

(P.S. If you just want to dump hardware, I'll take it and promise to only hash MZC with it. Smiley )
Sakarias-Corporation

Activity: 574

Call me Alice. just Alice.

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2014, 01:21:52 PM

Guys if you have old miners that you have no use for or can't run due prices, you could always host them somewhere else.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=776290.0

Zelek Uther

Activity: 700
Merit: 504

Run a Bitcoin node.

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 11:15:37 PM

Sell it for $1 reserve on ebay. Someone will buy it, and you might even get $15 to 20 for it (plus postage).

Run a Bitcoin node, support the network.
Distribution (OP)

Activity: 711

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 09:53:33 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I might keep the case around just as a display thing. I couldn't sell it on eBay, because while I might get lucky, chances are it would sell for less than what a WR-703N sells for. If that's the case, I'd rather do something with the router (like make a PirateBox) and then repurpose the power supply and fans. If someone could figure out how to effectively repurpose these ASICs, they could make a lot of money and get a lot of hardware dirt cheap. I would like to see someone go into collecting miners, either as an individual or something like an exhibit at a museum. I think I'd donate it to that.
DigitalPirateman

Activity: 56

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 02:51:17 AM

If you made Roi then do what you want.

If you have a friend or kids give it to them for a good learning tool.
BTCish

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 05:02:05 AM

Keep it for the history, i do not think that 20 $ will make you any richer Smiley

zetaray

Activity: 658

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 05:09:38 AM

I would sell it if someone wants to buy it. Use some of the btc received to buy one or two usb block erupters for collecting.

.CryptoTotal.com.
                              l█████████▇▀
                              ████████▇▀
                              ███████▇▀
                              ██████▇▀
                              █████▇▀
                              ████▇▀
                              ███▇▀
                              ██▇▀
                              █▇▀
                              ▇▀
▇▇
▇▇

Express.Crypto.Checkout
Accepts Multiple Cryptos
Worldwide Shipping
DigitalPirateman

Activity: 56

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 06:10:59 AM

Come to think of it now don't sell it mine a different sha coin see how it works first like peer coin or namecoin.If you want to keep it running
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: