Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:59:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 8 Dead in Attack on Ebola Team in Guinea 'Killed in Cold Blood'  (Read 2144 times)
noviapriani (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 03:26:41 PM

Savages...killing people sent to help them.  And, Obama is sending our troops to help these people?

Eight dead in attack on Ebola team in Guinea. ‘Killed in cold blood.’

The bodies of eight people, including several health workers and three journalists, have been found days after they were attacked while distributing information about Ebola in a Guinean village near the city of Nzerekore, according to Reuters.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/18/us-health-ebbola-guinea-idUSKBN0HD2JE20140918

"The eight bodies were found in the village latrine," Albert Damantang Camara, a spokesman for Guinea's government, told Reuters on Thursday. "Three of them had their throats slit."

When the delegation arrived on Tuesday to do disinfection work and educate people about preventing Ebola, angry and fearful residents began throwing rocks and beating people in the group with clubs according to the Los Angeles Times, which cited Guinean radio reports. The delegation, which included one local politician, fled into the bush to escape the attackers.
http://www.latimes.com/world/africa/la-fg-attack-ebola-guinea-outreach-20140918-story.html
One journalist who managed to escape told reporters that she could hear the people looking for her while she hid, according to the BBC.

On Thursday, the bodies were found in the septic tank of a primary school in the village, according to Camara. They had been "killed in cold blood by the villagers," he added, according to the BBC.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29256443

Throughout this epidemic, public health officials have battled widespread fear and even doubts that the virus exists at all. The deadly attack illustrates the danger that health workers face as they try to spread information about the virus in an effort to control the deadliest Ebola outbreak in history.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2014/09/18/missing-health-workers-in-guinea-were-educating-villagers-about-ebola-when-they-were-attacked/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sana8410

Activity: 448

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 03:47:19 PM

I seriously do not understand why you wouldn't see a story like this only supports the need to send troops.  Do you not understand that if this is not contained, it is going to spread?  Potentially here?  There simply isn't time to "win hearts and minds" with a soft approach...Obviously as this story affirms..... so forced containment is the only option.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
noviapriani (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 04:50:45 PM

I seriously do not understand why you wouldn't see a story like this only supports the need to send troops.  Do you not understand that if this is not contained, it is going to spread?  Potentially here?  There simply isn't time to "win hearts and minds" with a soft approach...Obviously as this story affirms..... so forced containment is the only option.
I believe that is what some of us have said from the beginning.  That also includes stopping people, even American citizens, from coming to the US from these African countries.  But, nobody wants to do that, so don't talk to me about containment when that is the first thing that should be done.  We've had people right here on this forum that have insisted this isn't a threat to the US...that it can be contained.  Which is it???

sana8410

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 05:08:49 PM

I believe that is what some of us have said from the beginning.  That also includes stopping people, even American citizens, from coming to the US from these African countries.  But, nobody wants to do that, so don't talk to me about containment when that is the first thing that should be done.  We've had people right here on this forum that have insisted this isn't a threat to the US...that it can be contained.  Which is it???
If you have supported us sending troops to help with containment from the beginning, then why do you appear to be opposing it now?   And yes, I agree that some on this forum have taken the opposite position of being far too dismissive as well. 

Here's a thought...how about not going to either extreme?

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
sana8410

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 05:22:58 PM

The fact is that Ebola, by comparation, has not killed as many Africans as other factors during the same time period.  But the fact is that Ebola is still spreading and without proper containment current predictions are for exponential growth.   It is much less likely to do that here and it does not require the level of panic of airborne transmission, but that doesn't mean it can't come here or mutate.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand why it is not reasonable to both try to stop the spread and also not freak the hell out.   

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
noviapriani (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 05:30:14 PM

If you have supported us sending troops to help with containment from the beginning, then why do you appear to be opposing it now?   And yes, I agree that some on this forum have taken the opposite position of being far too dismissive as well. 

Here's a thought...how about not going to either extreme?
No, I don't support sending troops to Africa....that's not what our military is for.  Just as '41' should not have sent our troops to Somalia for 'humanitarian reasons.'  Remember Clinton's Blackhawk Down?

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 05:32:04 PM

You have to get into the minds of the villagers to understand. They have absolutely no trust in government and fear being dragged away to some camp. The camps are seen as dying places where the interned are caged and sometimes starved. Civil order is beginning to break down in the hot zone and it's only going to get worse. The latest figure look awful. Something like 200K cases by December. We have already moved too slowly, containment has been lost and it's chaos on the ground among the NGOs. Just wait till it goes exponential in Lagos.  Cry

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
noviapriani (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 05:33:39 PM

The fact is that Ebola, by comparation, has not killed as many Africans as other factors during the same time period.  But the fact is that Ebola is still spreading and without proper containment current predictions are for exponential growth.   It is much less likely to do that here and it does not require the level of panic of airborne transmission, but that doesn't mean it can't come here or mutate.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand why it is not reasonable to both try to stop the spread and also not freak the hell out.   
I am more concerned about what's coming over our southern border.  Terrorists have been caught, even people from Africa.  What if one of them gets through and has a Ebola??? So, excuse me if I am more concerned about the southern border than what is going on in Africa.   And, let's not forget innocent Americans that are being murdered, raped, among other crimes on a daily basis....by freaking illegal aliens.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2014, 05:35:08 PM

This is just Mother Nature taking out her trash.  Seal them off and let them live deal with the consequences of rejecting science in favor of embracing superstition.

The rest of the world figured out that germs exist, and magic does not, hundreds of years ago.  There will be chaos, but that's predator/prey cycles for ya!

Good riddance to the 'Ebola Team' too.  They should know better than to try and fix stupid.  Gives new meaning to the phrase 'bleeding hearts.'   Grin

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 05:40:17 PM

P.S. the good news is that this is not much of a threat in the U.S. and Europe. Our infectious disease surveillance is effective at finding vector cases and isolating any contacts. Its Africa that is going to pay the price.

sana8410

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 05:44:23 PM

Our military is for national security.  How is it not prudent to prevent ebola coming over the border or even innocently by air travel by eradicating it at the source?  Using 3000 troops in Africa is not going to prevent or take away troops from guarding the southern border if there was a even a will to do so...that is a separate issue.

Furthermore we pay a sizable chunk of the who so it only makes sense to not let this escalate.   Epidemics like this are actually a good reason for nations to come together for mutual aid.  

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 05:51:05 PM

Our military is for national security.  How is it not prudent to prevent ebola coming over the border or even innocently by air travel by eradicating it at the source?  Using 3000 troops in Africa is not going to prevent or take away troops from guarding the southern border if there was a even a will to do so...that is a separate issue.

Furthermore we pay a sizable chunk of the who so it only makes sense to not let this escalate.   Epidemics like this are actually a good reason for nations to come together for mutual aid.  
I agree, although those troops are going to have a rough job. It's not clear what they will be in charge of. I doubt, for example, that they will be commanding the Chinese soldiers who just arrived there. The problem on the ground now is a lack of coordination between countries, NGOs, armies, hospitals. What a mess.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: