Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:30:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Request: Let's support "bitcoin:" URLs!  (Read 3874 times)
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 05:26:41 AM

Awesome - I'm all for it!

I think websites will initially need to clarify what the link is for, and how it needs to be utilized.  On a computer without Armory installed, clicking on a bitcoin URL just opens a blank tab.  This would confuse anyone who didn't realize what it was or was supposed to do.
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2012, 05:58:35 AM

@etotheipi

Re: label v message

At the moment MultiBit parses both the label and message but only puts the label on the display and in the address book. I could not quite see the distinction between the two so did not want to put two fields in the Send/ Request forms one label and the other message as it would be confusing.

I have not seen the message field being used yet.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2012, 01:18:02 PM

@etotheipi

Re: label v message

At the moment MultiBit parses both the label and message but only puts the label on the display and in the address book. I could not quite see the distinction between the two so did not want to put two fields in the Send/ Request forms one label and the other message as it would be confusing.

I have not seen the message field being used yet.

So I have been putting the "label" next to the address i.e. "1ArmoryXcfqj3f9dsjfkslWjZej  (Armory Donation Address)" and the message in the transaction comment field i.e. "Donation to receive Encryption Seminar".  But it sounds like I'm going to have to forego that in Armory...  instead put the label into the tx-comment field, and append the message to it if there is one.

Gah.  I don't like it.  But life could be worse Smiley

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2012, 01:45:00 PM

none of the clients, really? Electrum and Multibit have been supporting bitcoin: URIs for months...

Thanks for letting me know, the URI will be added to our invoice page with our next site update.

We took it off because it would open a new browser tab with an error for 95% of the users, and it caused more confusion than anything.  But it is a great tool to have once the clients support it!

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2012, 02:15:32 PM

@ Weex

Armory is choking on the URLs on CoinDL, because of the colon in the the label field:

bitcoin:16xPh78TNANC6YB1XZksWyCGqhcMFnDXZ9?amount=1.959&label=CoinDL:Alco

I don't know if Armory should be able to handle it, but ':' is on the "reserved characters" list,  So you should replace it with %3A.  

The only important feature of the percent-encoding scheme is that the following characters are reserved "%!*'();:@&=+$,/?#[] ", and should simply be replaced with their ASCII code in hex.  

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
weex
Legendary

Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 03:55:04 PM

@ Weex

Armory is choking on the URLs on CoinDL, because of the colon in the the label field:

bitcoin:16xPh78TNANC6YB1XZksWyCGqhcMFnDXZ9?amount=1.959&label=CoinDL:Alco

I don't know if Armory should be able to handle it, but ':' is on the "reserved characters" list,  So you should replace it with %3A.  

The only important feature of the percent-encoding scheme is that the following characters are reserved "%!*'();:@&=+$,/?#[] ", and should simply be replaced with their ASCII code in hex.  

@etotheipi,

The colon is now %3A and the rest of the item name is escaped. I also made the link open in a new tab. In testing while logged into Blockchain.info, it actually didn't do what I wanted but I suppose that's due to some quirk in how their handler works on gnu/linux or in expecting something specific in the URL. You may need to do a Ctrl-F5 to refresh the javascript if you want to test it now.

-weex
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: