Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 05:27:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: It really a seems like Apple is trying to protect your anonymity  (Read 3360 times)
UsernameBitcoin

Activity: 530
Merit: 250

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 01:02:01 PM

Two companies I'd never trust: Microsoft and Apple
They can say whatever they want, I don't believe a single word, especially if it's about privacy and security. Fuck them.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
toleng

Activity: 261

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 08:12:55 PM

From what I read....

Use Apple iOS8 and Apple can't even access your phone even if they wanted to.  (Yes, you'll pay more up front and have a less customizable phone)

Use the free Android operating system and Google has freedom to collect all your data and sell to the highest bidder.

In addition it appears Apple Pay stores credit card numbers locally that are encrypted and unencrypted each time for each purchase, and when a purchase is made a one time payment approval code is used so that the place you are shopping won't know your name, credit card info, or other information.

I know there are lots of fan boys and haters out there. What do you all think? I know for me personally these new develooments in iOS8 came as a big surprise.

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268789/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=MLzFmXy6

In an ultimate scenario of anonymity, I can imagine some combination of a Coinbase/Bitpay -> Apple Pay combination.  Some kind of merger of bitcoin and Apple Pay is inevitable I think.  

Well, if it is true, that's great. But can we be sure it is true?

The only way to know for sure is if it was open source.
If apple were to make it's IOS8 operating system open source then people would steal it. Open source is really only appropriate when the author is comfortable with others using their product without payment, and apple does not fall into this category.

I would personally trust apple enough to believe their statements. Also you could also delay trusting what they say for 6+ months to see if news reports start to come out saying that the police were able to access suspects' phones without a password
tl121

Activity: 278
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 08:38:11 PM

Trust Apple?  You have to be kidding. John Gilmore explains this nicely:

http://boingboing.net/2014/09/20/reasons-not-to-trust-apple.html
leannemckim46

Activity: 420

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 04:28:21 AM

They can say whatever they want, I don't believe a single word, especially if it's about privacy and security. Fuck them.
Microsoft is fighting a request from the US government to search user records that are stored in overseas servers in court. They may or may not win but they are at least trying.

Both MSFT and AAPL have limits as to what they are able to do in terms of privacy of information stored on their own servers because the courts are able to force them to comply with search warrants

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
RISE
UsernameBitcoin

Activity: 530

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 08:38:52 AM

Microsoft is fighting a request from the US government to search user records that are stored in overseas servers in court. They may or may not win but they are at least trying.

Both MSFT and AAPL have limits as to what they are able to do in terms of privacy of information stored on their own servers because the courts are able to force them to comply with search warrants

That's what I also would say if I got criticized all the time and afraid that I have to fear to lose market shares, especially in the booming cloud market.
I know they are limited but I also don't think they are actually interested. With lobbying and threat to move to another country they could put enough pressure on the government to stop that. If they want...

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
dankkk

Activity: 308

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 08:48:07 AM

That's what I also would say if I got criticized all the time and afraid that I have to fear to lose market shares, especially in the booming cloud market.
I know they are limited but I also don't think they are actually interested. With lobbying and threat to move to another country they could put enough pressure on the government to stop that. If they want...
Microsoft is not just saying they are fighting it, they are actually fighting the search request. The search in question is also not regarding anything to do with the cloud, it is regarding the search of an email account.
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 09:00:40 AM

Rule number one in dealing with Apple: Never buy Version One of anything. Remember Apple Maps and how everybody was hacking the first version of the iPad, guys?

Rule one with apple: never buy anything apple until they stop being such nazi's with BTC Grin
jabo38 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2014, 09:20:30 AM

Rule number one in dealing with Apple: Never buy Version One of anything. Remember Apple Maps and how everybody was hacking the first version of the iPad, guys?

Rule one with apple: never buy anything apple until they stop being such nazi's with BTC Grin

Apple allows bitcoin apps, just the same as Android. I have a Blockchain app on my phone right now.  There might be many reasons to not like Apple, but that reason is 6 months out dated. 

jabo38 (OP)
Legendary

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2014, 09:24:21 AM

Explain?

He doesn't use even one fact to explain anything.  It is mostly just paranoid hypotheticals.  I will grant him though, that Apple is not perfect and will probably slip on one or more of the points.  I imagine then after it is caught, it will be corrected.  To do anything otherwise would be blatant misdirection and would seriously harm Apple's reputation.  Apple definitely plays games, but not that kind. 

dankkk

Activity: 308

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 06:28:03 PM

They are allowing companies to have bitcoin wallet apps in the app store again. They never restricted any bitcoin news or bitcoin price tracking, or store that accepts bitcoin locator apps in their app store.
wasserman99

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 12:20:31 AM

Explain?

He doesn't use even one fact to explain anything.  It is mostly just paranoid hypotheticals.  I will grant him though, that Apple is not perfect and will probably slip on one or more of the points.  I imagine then after it is caught, it will be corrected.  To do anything otherwise would be blatant misdirection and would seriously harm Apple's reputation.  Apple definitely plays games, but not that kind. 
I agree. Apple is generally very good at keeping their word. If they say something I would trust they are telling the truth. If they are caught in a lie then their reputation would be severely damaged. Their reputation is one of their biggest assets

mandular

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 06:32:23 AM

How about Google ?
Each of us know that they are collecting informations.
zorke

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 12:57:16 AM

From what I read....

Use Apple iOS8 and Apple can't even access your phone even if they wanted to.  (Yes, you'll pay more up front and have a less customizable phone)

Use the free Android operating system and Google has freedom to collect all your data and sell to the highest bidder.

In addition it appears Apple Pay stores credit card numbers locally that are encrypted and unencrypted each time for each purchase, and when a purchase is made a one time payment approval code is used so that the place you are shopping won't know your name, credit card info, or other information.

I know there are lots of fan boys and haters out there. What do you all think? I know for me personally these new develooments in iOS8 came as a big surprise.

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268789/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=MLzFmXy6

In an ultimate scenario of anonymity, I can imagine some combination of a Coinbase/Bitpay -> Apple Pay combination.  Some kind of merger of bitcoin and Apple Pay is inevitable I think.   
I don't think anonymity is the correct adjective to use, I think it would be more appropriate to say they are trying to protect users privacy. If they were trying to protect their user's anonymity then they would be implementing features that would prevent others from knowing what number they are calling from, what number they are calling or their physical location (to mask all of these things, even to the phone company)
jabo38 (OP)
Legendary

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2014, 12:34:12 PM

I don't think anonymity is the correct adjective to use, I think it would be more appropriate to say they are trying to protect users privacy. If they were trying to protect their user's anonymity then they would be implementing features that would prevent others from knowing what number they are calling from, what number they are calling or their physical location (to mask all of these things, even to the phone company)

That is very good point.  I think "privacy" much better fits what is going on here. I think the OP got it wrong.  Hahaha

cdooer

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 01:07:32 PM

Apple and privacy?

Wonder if these folks will be using Apple Pay any time soon; Ali Michael, Ariana Grande, Bar Rafaeli, Becca Tobin, Brie Larson, Hope Solo, Jennifer Lawrence, Jessica Brown Findlay, Kate Upton, Kirsten Dunst, Krysten Ritter, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Mckayla Maroney, Melissa Benoist, Olivia Munn, Selena Gomez, Teresa Palmer, Victoria Justice, Yvonne Strahovski, and so on, and so forth.

I, for one have quite enjoyed their version of privacy over the past few weeks. Probably wouldn't trust them with my money though.  Cheesy
realbtcdealers4real

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 01:59:48 PM

Apple and privacy?

Wonder if these folks will be using Apple Pay any time soon; Ali Michael, Ariana Grande, Bar Rafaeli, Becca Tobin, Brie Larson, Hope Solo, Jennifer Lawrence, Jessica Brown Findlay, Kate Upton, Kirsten Dunst, Krysten Ritter, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Mckayla Maroney, Melissa Benoist, Olivia Munn, Selena Gomez, Teresa Palmer, Victoria Justice, Yvonne Strahovski, and so on, and so forth.

I, for one have quite enjoyed their version of privacy over the past few weeks. Probably wouldn't trust them with my money though.  Cheesy

Don't forget Emma Watson, it's comming soon.
Also, im pretty sure iWatch will see a quick improved version fixing "bugs" just like every other first version apple product ever.
jabo38 (OP)
Legendary

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2014, 02:52:02 PM

Apple and privacy?

Don't forget Emma Watson, it's comming soon.
Also, im pretty sure iWatch will see a quick improved version fixing "bugs" just like every other first version apple product ever.

I agree.  The iWatch might be a risky endeavor.  I am sure most people will be okay, but not everyone all the time.

zorke

Activity: 238

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 02:07:58 AM

Apple and privacy?

Your money is protected if you pay for something via apple pay as you are not liable for unauthorized purchases to your credit card and apple pay uses your credit card.

The reason the celebs had their pictures stolen was because there was a security "flaw" in iCloud, it technically did not have anything to do with their iPhones.
Dondie

Activity: 157

HUKOM BITAY! ✝✝✝

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 02:05:22 PM

LOL... Celebrities protected their anonymity more than any of us.. Look what happened, The gappening happened.

GenieBTC

Activity: 126

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 11:20:13 AM

LOL... Celebrities protected their anonymity more than any of us.. Look what happened, The gappening happened.

*The Fappening. Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: