Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:10:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Program doesn't start at all on Windows 7 x64  (Read 3619 times)
rappercake (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 12:26:00 AM

I downloaded the .exe, and installed it. When I went to the Bitcoin directory and tried to open the program, however, nothing happened.

I checked Task Manager and there is a Bitcoin process, however there is no GUI, and nothing in my taskbar.

I've tried Running as Administrator, disabling my AV, disabling my Firewall, everything, and I can't get it to work.

Am I missing something obvious, or is there something wrong?

If it matters, I'm running Ultimate x64 version.
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 01:03:46 AM

I noticed similar behavior. You have to be patient - on my computer win7 32bit it takes 30s-1m from the click to start the program to gui appearing. Try starting it from start menu - there should be a shortcut.
rappercake (OP)

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 01:18:12 AM

I noticed similar behavior. You have to be patient - on my computer win7 32bit it takes 30s-1m from the click to start the program to gui appearing. Try starting it from start menu - there should be a shortcut.

I've opened it and waited for over 30 minutes, and nothing has happened, so I don't think that lag is the problem.

Thanks for attempting to help, though.
commlinx

Activity: 294

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 04:22:46 AM

Try going to the following directory:

C:\Users\(your name)\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin

And see if there's a debug.log file, that might give you a clue what's wrong.
rappercake (OP)

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 10:17:32 PM

This is what shows up, pretty much

Bitcoin version 0.3.20.1 beta
OS version Windows NT 6.1 (build 7600), 64-bit edition
System default language is 60 English_United States.1252
Language file locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES/bitcoin.mo (English (U.S.))
Default data directory C:\Users\Jay\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin
Existing instance found
DBFlush(false) db not started
StopNode()
DBFlush(true) db not started
Bitcoin exiting

It says there's an existing instance, but I've looked, and I see nothing with Bitcoin running.
commlinx

View Profile
May 12, 2011, 01:50:27 AM

I've just had a look at the source code and it creates a mutex to stop it running multiple times. I guess you've already tried a reboot? Maybe your A/V or something else caused it to abort first time and it left the mutex behind, which you wouldn't see on the task manager. Maybe reboot, disable that stuff and try to launch.

The only other thing I can spot is that as part of the mutex name it uses your windows home folder, so if that was really long (around 144 characters) that would cause a problem. I run the same version of Windows so in general there aren't any problems with that edition.

Edit - I just noticed that's not the problem, I can see you have a short home folder path above.
fernandotombino

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 03:33:12 AM

I downloaded the .exe, and installed it. When I went to the Bitcoin directory and tried to open the program, however, nothing happened.

I checked Task Manager and there is a Bitcoin process, however there is no GUI, and nothing in my taskbar.

I've tried Running as Administrator, disabling my AV, disabling my Firewall, everything, and I can't get it to work.

Am I missing something obvious, or is there something wrong?

If it matters, I'm running Ultimate x64 version.
I have the same problem...

Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 03:44:26 AM

This happened to me today on Win7 32bit. I clicked on bitcoin shortcut to start it, but nothing happened. I opened task manager and noticed that bitcoin.exe is running but there was no gui. The reason for this may have been high processor load due to other tasks on my computer. As soon as the load dropped, gui appeared. In total it was probably about 5mins
commlinx

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 07:02:43 AM

I also noticed when looking at the code that creating the GUI Window is the last step that happens, while not ideal it would simplify the code a lot knowing everything was loaded OK. I guess something better would be creating the taskbar icon and displaying a "loading data..." window if clicked, it will only get slower as the files get larger and cause more confusion.

Personally I don't tend to notice it much because I've got "Start Bitcoin on system startup" selected in the options so it's always there when needed Grin.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: