Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:32:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How can Bitcoin be used to promote ethnic diversity?  (Read 4439 times)
bitcredit (OP)

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 12:35:30 AM

Today business products and even ideas are recognized as worthless if they don't promote ethnic diversity.

Ethnic diversity is quickly being realized as the single most important objective for human endeavor. Fortune 500 companies realize this and have complex plans to encourage diversity. Workers are often sent, on company time, to diversity seminars. For the government, the same is true. Since the 1950s, the United States Federal Government has worked relentlessly to promote integration and diversity in the United States and abroad.

What use is Bitcoin if it doesn't do the same? How can we ensure that Bitcoins are distributed equitably to traditionally underrepresented groups? What is being done to ensure the proliferation of Bitcoin infrastructure amongst communities of color?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 12:38:56 AM

How can we ensure that Bitcoins are distributed equitably to traditionally underrepresented groups?
I suppose that you could start a charity that subsidizes the cost of ATI video cards for minorities.
What is being done to ensure the proliferation of Bitcoin infrastructure amongst communities of color?

Nothing beyond it's own economic characteristics; which are certainly colorblind.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Darth Severus

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 01:00:04 AM

Wow, the UN-commies are coming  Huh Praise The Lord And Pass The Ammunition...
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 01:02:57 AM

Today business products and even ideas are recognized as worthless if they don't promote ethnic diversity.

Ethnic diversity is quickly being realized as the single most important objective for human endeavor. Fortune 500 companies realize this and have complex plans to encourage diversity. Workers are often sent, on company time, to diversity seminars. For the government, the same is true. Since the 1950s, the United States Federal Government has worked relentlessly to promote integration and diversity in the United States and abroad.

What use is Bitcoin if it doesn't do the same? How can we ensure that Bitcoins are distributed equitably to traditionally underrepresented groups? What is being done to ensure the proliferation of Bitcoin infrastructure amongst communities of color?

It's economically neutral - there are no barriers to entry, so it should propagate to whoever is interested. If you want more <insert minority here> to use bitcoin, by all means go tell them about it! Cheesy
bitcredit (OP)

Activity: 78

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 01:07:03 AM

It's economically neutral - there are no barriers to entry, so it should propagate to whoever is interested. If you want more <insert minority here> to use bitcoin, by all means go tell them about it! Cheesy

This sort of attitude, denying white privilege while claiming an equal playing field exists, merely perpetuates racial inequality. It's nothing more than an excuse for inaction and an attempt to moralize imperialism.
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 01:13:28 AM

Erhm, what?

There literally is no white privilege in bitcoin. I guarantee you that if someone logs onto bitcoin-otc, or pms me on the forums, they can be sold bitcoins for either a check in the mail or a wire transfer, or dwolla - there are tons of ways to get bitcoins.

Unless something drastic has happened lately, minorities can get bank accounts, write checks, mail a letter, and use the internet. Thus, anyone that can do those things can use bitcoins.  I don't offer a 5% bonus to whites buying bitcoins with my service, or anything like that.

There's no racial inequality built into bitcoin  Roll Eyes
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 01:20:46 AM

example http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=17.0
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2011, 01:35:26 AM

bitcredit:  do you have ideas or suggestions?

I think a global currency like bitcoin will do a lot to promote understanding and diversity, but did you have something specific in mind?

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
infra172

Activity: 64

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 02:52:57 AM

There's no such thing as race.

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 03:09:12 AM

Talking about the "need for racial diversity" is inherently racist.

duran

Activity: 18

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 03:10:05 AM

race plays no factor in an anonymous environment and even so I've never heard anyone complain its all white dudes on usd.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 03:11:11 AM

This sort of attitude, denying white privilege while claiming an equal playing field exists, merely perpetuates racial inequality. It's nothing more than an excuse for inaction and an attempt to moralize imperialism.

Is that right?  Well, based on your deep understanding of this subject, what color am I?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Shortline

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 04:20:27 AM

These three questions in brief:

What use? Money is money. Like conventional currencies, distribution of bitcoin is dependent on market forces and regulatory bodies.

Equitable distribution? Perhaps some benevolent actor will start pre-loading One Laptop per Child machines with the client and one bitcoin.

What is being done? Nothing that I'm aware of. There's some idle talk of hawala networks, and if bitcoin becomes useful it will certainly be widely adopted in the Southern hemisphere. As Garret Burgwart noted, go tell someone - charitable organizations are an especially good way to get bitcoin circulating amongst whatever communities interest you.

At any rate, examples of racial equality  based on what Fortune 500 companies do suggests to me "troll post" but I'm willing to believe you're acting in good faith. Just so you know, board members of that group of companies are currently around 73% white males, not exactly a benchmark of diversity.
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 06:28:36 AM
Last edit: May 11, 2011, 06:46:01 AM by Jaime Frontero

bitcredit:  do you have ideas or suggestions?

I think a global currency like bitcoin will do a lot to promote understanding and diversity, but did you have something specific in mind?

i have an idea, gavin - if you will pardon my tiny voice...

i'm not convinced that, on a world-wide basis, race is anywhere near as important to Bitcoin as numbers.  and numbers are clear:  the vast majority of the world is poor.  that may be partly because of racism, but from a capitalist perspective that doesn't matter.  pure capitalism is color-blind.  so...

if we want acceptance, we therefore want numbers.  massive numbers.  micropayments is not so much the issue -  what about microloans?

have you approached kiva (http://www.kiva.org/ )?

has anybody?

they have a [claimed] 98.71% re-payment rate.  good business there.

maybe everybody on earth doesn't have a computer - but really, we'd like to get away from the mining paradigm anyway, wouldn't we?

tell you what though - damn near everybody on the planet has a phone...

there could be some serious money in those numbers.  and some even more serious acceptance...
Zamicol

Activity: 56

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 07:50:12 AM

Talking about the "need for racial diversity" is inherently racist.

Hear, hear!
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 09:35:24 AM

Money is colour-blind ....

just like the man said, no action needed.

TradersEdgeDice

Activity: 84

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2011, 02:02:17 PM

You guys are too kind to the OP.

Fortune 500 companies are not bastions of any kind of society I want to live in.  They're ruthless dictatorships. In the U.S., there's no social contract to receive a corporate charter.  That is at least given lip service in Europe and Asia.

Fiat money is a weapon to steal wealth. You are expected to put up something of scarcity as collateral to get a loan. Bankers print fiat money so there's no scarcity but if you fail to give it back at the end of a loan you lose this scarce collateral.

How is that more equitable than bitcoin?

Like what I posted?

Buy my Metal FX Currency Dice Set
http://tradersedgedice.com

Buyers using bitcoin get a deep discount.  Free worldwide shipping.

Web of Trust: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=TradersEdgeDice&sign=ANY&type=RECV

GPG Identity: http://bitcoin-otc.com/
AllYourBase

Activity: 138

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 02:15:56 PM

Some people take so-called "diversity" as their religion.  I prefer to be more rational.
The Script

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 03:06:43 PM

Hey that's not fair.  We have Genjix, our token terrorist and Satoshi is Japanese so he's our Asian guy.  We are diverse.
The Script

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 03:10:17 PM

Is that right?  Well, based on your deep understanding of this subject, what color am I?

I'm going to guess either Vulcan or Asgard.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: