Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:13:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Porcupine Freedom Festival - Now Accepting BTC for Registration  (Read 5184 times)
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 01:22:45 PM

So is money.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 01:31:59 PM

Money has no relationship to reality

I never said that. I said that possibilities are not freedom.

Being free to do whatever you want does not mean you can do whatever you want for nothing (for "free"). And that has nothing to do with money. That's just how the world is. "There is no such thing as a free lunch". Sorry dude.
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2012, 05:16:31 PM

Money has no relationship to reality

I never said that. I said that possibilities are not freedom.

Being free to do whatever you want does not mean you can do whatever you want for nothing (for "free"). And that has nothing to do with money. That's just how the world is. "There is no such thing as a free lunch". Sorry dude.

Obviously every physical action loses energy to entropy (as we currently understand physics), but that doesn't mean we have to choke ourselves to death with an imaginary system of arbitrary restrictions that do more to harm us that help us.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Rothgar

Activity: 374
Merit: 250

Tune in to Neocash Radio

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2012, 05:20:03 PM

<ontopic>
There will be a bitcoin vender at porcfest.  There will also be a few vendors that accept bitcoin.  Porcfest should be a lot of fun, anyone who enjoys freedom and doesn't mind camping should go.  There are hotel rooms available, but they sell out quickly.
</ontopic>

Visit http://neocashradio.com for the premier weekly bitcoin podcast.
Follow neocashradio on twitter.  https://twitter.com/NeocashRadio
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 05:39:19 PM

/off topic

Guys don't engage LightRider, it's a waste of time because he's simply experiencing way too much cognitive dissonance and there's just no way you're going to get through to him no matter what evidence or facts or logic you use.

Let him believe he can fly, sooner or later he'll have the unpleasant meeting with reality that'll force him to to change what he beliefs or experience the pains of ignoring the force gravity.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 06:18:03 PM

Money has no relationship to reality.

Wow that is just so false that I don't know how to address it.

Does gold have any relationship to reality? Do Bitcoins? Do cigarettes and seashells and cattle have any relationship to reality? I think they clearly do. They are real. And, they are money. Sooooo... WTF are you talking about?
LightRider
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2012, 07:35:58 PM

Does gold have any relationship to reality? Do Bitcoins? Do cigarettes and seashells and cattle have any relationship to reality? I think they clearly do. They are real. And, they are money. Sooooo... WTF are you talking about?
Calling something money doesn't make it different that what it is physically. FRN's are pretty pieces of paper. Bitcoins are strings of 1's and 0's. Gold is an element of matter. Ultimately, money is a shared delusion that we have been trained to accept as real. We existed without money and we can do so again.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2012, 08:34:25 PM

Calling something money doesn't make it different that what it is physically. FRN's are pretty pieces of paper. Bitcoins are strings of 1's and 0's. Gold is an element of matter. Ultimately, money is a shared delusion that we have been trained to accept as real. We existed without money and we can do so again.

Dude, this forum is a string of 1s and 0s. So is wikipedia and redtube. And gold is just a bunch of stupid electrons and protons and so are you.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2012, 08:58:12 PM

<ontopic>
There will be a bitcoin vender at porcfest.  There will also be a few vendors that accept bitcoin.  Porcfest should be a lot of fun, anyone who enjoys freedom and doesn't mind camping should go.  There are hotel rooms available, but they sell out quickly.
</ontopic>

I already know of a handful of vendors that will be accepting bitcoin at PorcFest. I sure will be. Of course almost all of them will be accepting Shire Silver, let's see if we can get bitcoin acceptance up as well!

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2012, 01:34:42 AM

I plan to pay for just about everything with Bitcoins.
I even contacted the hotel I am staying at and asked them to look into accepting Bitcoins.

Rothgar

Activity: 374
Merit: 250

Tune in to Neocash Radio

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2012, 04:21:46 AM

I plan to pay for just about everything with Bitcoins.
I even contacted the hotel I am staying at and asked them to look into accepting Bitcoins.

Bravo!! Bravo!!!  I love the people who shun FRNs the whole week.

Visit http://neocashradio.com for the premier weekly bitcoin podcast.
Follow neocashradio on twitter.  https://twitter.com/NeocashRadio
LightRider
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2012, 10:00:30 AM

Dude, this forum is a string of 1s and 0s. So is wikipedia and redtube. And gold is just a bunch of stupid electrons and protons and so are you.

Exactly. Money is a shared social construct, but that doesn't make it a real physical thing. In a resource based economy we abandon useless and distorting abstractions and rely upon scientific knowledge and measurement. We don't need economic calculation when we have actual physical and scientific based calculation. Economists will tell you that the world is several quadrillion dollars in debt. Science will show empirically that we can provide for the basic needs of all people. Which ideology do you want to be dominant in your life, or your children's life?

hazek
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2012, 10:08:10 AM

Against my better judgment..  Roll Eyes

Which ideology do you want to be dominant in your life, or your children's life?

How about neither?

I'll go even further. If you can come up with a valid example of how the world could get into such huge debt using only bitcoins as money, an example that will make sense to at least 10people on this forum, I'll send you all my BTC.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

LightRider
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2012, 10:10:27 AM

Against my better judgment..  Roll Eyes

Which ideology do you want to be dominant in your life, or your children's life?

How about neither?

A vote for theocracy then?

hazek
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2012, 10:12:46 AM

How about neither?

Again: No.

LightRider
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2012, 10:15:32 AM

How about neither?

Alien overlords?

hazek
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2012, 10:16:29 AM

We don't need economic calculation when we have actual physical and scientific based calculation. Economists will tell you that the world is several quadrillion dollars in debt. Science will show empirically that we can provide for the basic needs of all people. Which ideology do you want to be dominant in your life, or your children's life?

How about neither?

Alien overlords?

I'm glad you recognize how silly you sound.

LightRider
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2012, 10:19:58 AM

We don't need economic calculation when we have actual physical and scientific based calculation. Economists will tell you that the world is several quadrillion dollars in debt. Science will show empirically that we can provide for the basic needs of all people. Which ideology do you want to be dominant in your life, or your children's life?

How about neither?

Alien overlords?

You're the one uncontributing to the conversation.

hazek
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2012, 10:33:40 AM

How about neither?

Alien overlords?

Why? Because I'm not willing to be constrained by your ignorance?

Look, I know it causes too much cognitive dissonance to you when I show you what the reality really is and when this reality is conflicting with your beliefs neuroscience teaches us it's simply too much pain for you to be rational and change your belief and you're going to irrationally defend it instead. So I'm not going to engage with you beyond this post because it's pointless and I know you'll stick with your beliefs no matter what I say or what evidence I show to you.

But when you present as our only options a "resource based economy" regulated by scientific calculations vs a market economy regulated by a central authority I'm not willing to ignore the fact that there's more options, one of them being a market economy regulated exclusively by consumers in this economy (usually called a free market). But of course that's a pipe dream whereas your resource based economy is not, right?  Roll Eyes

Anyway I know you are unable to listen and swallow this right now so I'll give you some more cognitive dissonance just for shits and giggles and I'll ask you again: If you can come up with a valid example of how the world could get into such huge debt using only bitcoins as money, an example that will make sense to at least 10people on this forum, I'll send you all my BTC.

LightRider
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2012, 10:47:07 AM

How about neither?

Alien overlords?

Why? Because I'm not willing to be constrained by your ignorance?

Look, I know it causes too much cognitive dissonance to you when I show you what the reality really is and when this reality is conflicting with your beliefs neuroscience teaches us it's simply too much pain for you to be rational and change your belief and you're going to irrationally defend it instead. So I'm not going to engage with you beyond this post because it's pointless and I know you'll stick with your beliefs no matter what I say or what evidence I show to you.

But when you present as our only options a "resource based economy" regulated by scientific calculations vs a market economy regulated by a central authority I'm not willing to ignore the fact that there's more options, one of them being a market economy regulated exclusively by consumers in this economy (usually called a free market). But of course that's a pipe dream whereas your resource based economy is not, right?  Roll Eyes

Anyway I know you are unable to listen and swallow this right now so I'll give you some more cognitive dissonance just for shits and giggles and I'll ask you again: If you can come up with a valid example of how the world could get into such huge debt using only bitcoins as money, an example that will make sense to at least 10people on this forum, I'll send you all my BTC.
The in-elasticity of bitcoin disallows such gross debt creation. You seem to ignore the reality that our society started on gold, with similar characteristics, and has devolved into the systems and mechanisms we have today. That's the reality I recognize, which you seem unwilling or unable to. A system that promotes acquisitiveness, dominance and inequality will not lead to a better society. Any currency favors one arbitrary group of people over another, and will perpetuate the problems we have today. I have a better grasp on reality than you realize because I see this imaginary debt for what it is, and recognize that while bitcoin is better, it is not the answer. You can denounce me as a mindless zealot or cognitively dissonant all day, and I don't blame you for being unable to engage in an honest discussion. It takes a long time to recognize the cages we have been held in for so long.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: