Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:56:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Electricity! How its killing me? What to do for power!?  (Read 3038 times)
nckrazze (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 11:34:00 PM
Last edit: May 25, 2012, 03:52:54 PM by nckrazze

Hi, I am interested in finding alternative sources for electricity to run my 1000W rig. I only make 180$ a month, but have to pay close to 100$ just for electricity.

Please enlighten me with any alternatives for power.

Thanks
-Nick

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 11:35:21 PM

....................................................Solar...................... ........................

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
nckrazze (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 11:36:03 PM

....................................................Solar...................... ........................

What do you recommend to power a 1000W system without blowing my pocket?

Please let me know
Lethos

Activity: 476

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2012, 11:44:52 PM

I do think the previous poster stated solar panels.
With a limited income, it is an expensive purchase, but an investment that in the right environment pays off.

With a lot of sun comes great benefits with solar panels. Some solar panels companies here in Europe (maybe the same is true in CA) will even give you the panels for free, install it for free, but they keep all the "profits" after usage.
You just get the reward of never having a electricity bill ever again. It's worth it if you don't want to worry about the investment factor.

There is also wind turbines, but I don't know as much as those.

One thing to consider though is if you can save money by using less electricity.
Undervolting in the right place I've seen really powerful GPU's drop to half their normal usage by massively lowering the voltage going to the memory and obviously declocking the memory aswell. Not like you need it for Mining anyway.

Do abit of Google searching and i'm sure with the above information you can find something that works out for you.

nckrazze (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 11:59:42 PM

With a limited income, it is an expensive purchase, but an investment that in the right environment pays off.

With a lot of sun comes great benefits with solar panels. Some solar panels companies here in Europe (maybe the same is true in CA) will even give you the panels for free, install it for free, but they keep all the "profits" after usage.
You just get the reward of never having a electricity bill ever again. It's worth it if you don't want to worry about the investment factor.

One thing to consider though is if you can save money by using less electricity.
Undervolting in the right place I've seen really powerful GPU's drop to half their normal usage by massively lowering the voltage going to the memory and obviously declocking the memory aswell. Not like you need it for Mining anyway.

Do abit of Google searching and i'm sure with the above information you can find something that works out for you.

Thanks for the help! Do you have a rig that you would like to share some info on?

Thanks!
jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1093

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 03:48:59 AM

Undervolt the GPU may make it unstable?

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517
Lethos

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2012, 07:10:43 AM

Thanks for the help! Do you have a rig that you would like to share some info on?

Thanks!

No Problem.

I have 2 other Rigs I have at home (than the one mentioned in my signature), one is essentially a home server and the other is a gaming PC that uses an nvidia card, however they are consider in-practical for bit mining, so only my laptop I use for bitmining, (HP Dv6 range) that has a Llano APU + a discrete card. Details of those two processors in my signature.

Concerning the solar panels, I don't have any direct experience with it, but I got a friend in the south of england who got half their roof covered in solar panels (also another in the south of france). It really didn't cost them anything. They just had to own the home and be in an ideal location and the house it self (the roof) pointing in the preferred direction. The system he has will handle 3-6kwh worth. He barely makes use of all, he's not a huge tech junkie, at least not yet, he just liked the idea of no electricity bill. Which it achieved.

Lethos

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2012, 07:16:49 AM

Undervolt the GPU may make it unstable?

It sure could have the potential to yes.
However like most tweaking things. Give it more volts and you can go faster.
Give it less volts and you can make it slower flows true.
With the right testing you keep it stable by lowering the speed and the voltage together.

Every graphics card is different, some will do this easier than others. This forum more than any other will have that sort of information and advice on those experienced in doing that. This is nothing more than general advice.

Many find you can lower the memory to go as slow as 300Mhz, this can allow you to push some pretty low voltages to it.
After all you don't care how bad the performance is if your using it exclusively for bitmining, as long as it doesn't end up becoming unstable.
If you are using it for general or dual purposes, I would not recommend it however.

Conch

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 02:14:26 AM

The only best solution is solar, which may cost a lot at first but you'll benefit in the long run by a LOT.

I live on my own and I live in an area where I don't pay for bills  Tongue
Therefore I can run a huge rig and it all gets paid, for me, for free Smiley
ajstar

Activity: 22

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 10:24:39 AM

Solar energy is a good way to go. Neighbor has about some panels (are there different sizes?) mounted on his roof and he says, that one can make 100-150W during sunny day. They work effectively only for couple of hours a day as the efficiency dramatically drops when sun hits the panel from angle (if you have them statically mounted), but still, it will cut at least 1/5 of your expenses.
Toby

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 11:32:29 AM

here (netherlands) I pay € 0,22 for KWH. So solarpanels are almost a good deal, however, It requers a large investment and I rather invest in FPGA at the moment and it's not so sunny here (my more sunnier every year, due to global warming).
Bigrah

Activity: 32

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 10:26:50 PM

I am also paying 0,2€ per kWh.. but its for fun.. so money is not everything...
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 11:31:52 PM

Look on ebay for 250 watt panels,I did,they cost about $350 each.Then you need an inverter or two,$300 or so & some deep cycle batteries (1 per panel maybe??),from a semi maybe,$100 each.May even need a charger if the inverter dosen't charge.

So about $1600-$2500 & then some help from an electrician..........................

I'm just guessing as I haven't done a setup yet,but I don't think I'm too far off.

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 11:40:34 PM

Solar costs a lot of money to setup, and won't pay itself for a long time (I thought it was some 10+ years...)

You best bet to notice a quick drop in electrical costs would be to drop the core a bit, then really drop that voltage to as low as possible. You'd probably be able to drop that 1000w to around 700-800w. Other then that, I'd suggest one of those FPGAs from BFL. Like a few BFL Singles or something.

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 11:50:33 PM

You could always create a small nuclear powerplant in your yard.

But Solar is an incredibly cheap method in California. I live in Maryland, and was looking at Solar Panels to power my entire house, and for $40,000 I could set everything up. Plus there is a quite high tax rebate if you buy solar panels. My calculations showed the Solar Panels would pay themselves off in 4-6 years, and thats with some of the cheapest electricity in the country at $.07/KWH.
ReginaldBuxley

Activity: 20

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 02:29:11 AM

I've always thought it'd be just plain silly to buy some cheap engines off of craigslist/ebay - convert them to biodiesel and then just get restaurants to give me their leftover cooking oil.
Filter it yourself, start the engine up in a generator like fashion, huzzah!
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 02:52:15 AM

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/diane-tegarden/2010/04/20/april-20th-meet-tamra-fakhoorian

On April 20th my guest will be Tamra Fakhoorian of the National Algae Association, we’ll be discussing the future of biofuels.
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 04:56:30 AM

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/diane-tegarden/2010/04/20/april-20th-meet-tamra-fakhoorian

On April 20th my guest will be Tamra Fakhoorian of the National Algae Association, we’ll be discussing the future of biofuels.
Oh, I am sure that is the only thing a bunch of hippies will be doing on April 20th...

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
Minutia

Activity: 57

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 05:48:08 AM

I have free electricity where I live Smiley
David_Benz
Donator

Activity: 56

you got hacked bitch!

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 07:02:20 AM

I have free electricity where I live Smiley

Can I move my entire operation to your house then?

lol

Anyhow, from the research I have done, FPGA would be a FAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR better option money wise than solar.

Solar panels are EXPENSIVE as HELLLLL for only like 2000w models.

I am the Bitcoinica Hacker.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: