Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:49:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: looking for some help with a rig  (Read 585 times)
cartmen180 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 12:30:21 AM
Last edit: May 03, 2012, 12:46:13 AM by cartmen180

Hey there,

I am interested in setting up around 50 rigs.
Now i have a good friend who is really into mining himself and has a couple of machines running aswell.
Unfortunately he has no knowledge of linux and i was planning to run the maximum amount of gpus on one machine as possible, to maximize profits Smiley
The gpus i am thinking about are the 7970, they are easy to get and have a decent ratio.
But to get back on topic, i don't have linux knowledge either. Is it hard to set up a rig with 6+ gpus without prior knowledge of linux?

Lets get to the hardware aspect. I was thinking about an open frame. That can hold 6+ gpus (and since it are 7970's i would need two 1200 watt power supplies? or would 2x 1000 watt also suffice?)
Further I will need components that are easy to obtain (making it uniform makes it lots easier to maintain). I have seen motherboards with 6 or 7 pci-e 16 slots, but i noticed all pci-e slots can be used?
So, anyone knows a motherboard with 6+ pci-e slots thats easy to obtain and of good quality? (maybe even 8 slots?)

also which 7970 would you guys advice? i was thinking about the one from sapphire, but maybe you people know something better?

thxn for the help Cheesy

edit:
I just noticed there are FPGAs that run on very little electricity but deliver great Mhash. Is it better to get those?
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lethos

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2012, 07:37:14 AM

If you looking to do a huge investment. There comes huge benefits from going with FPGA's.

Yes the primary benefit is of course tiny electrical costs in comparison to a full system.
For many this could mean 10-20x lower electricity bills or more, when you take into account the system it self and cooling.
Also it be a huge space saver as well, also heat and noise.

I know if I was considered a huge rig deployment it would be FPGA's.
The options right now are a bit limited, and usually they are all custom ordered with a long wait period but it's worth it by all those use them.

Concerning power supplies, I'm more bothered by their efficiency rating. Usually a 1200W will be better.
Having designed and a built a few servers in my time, It's best to go big here.

Concerning Linux, it is scary to the inexperienced but, their is pre-built linux setups like BAMT, which are completely designed for nothing else but as a bit mining OS with all you needing to do is input the final details.

duukat

Activity: 35

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 02:08:03 PM

If you were looking to profit from Bitcoin and have a lot of faith in the strength of bitcoin, get BFL singles. 
http://www.butterflylabs.com/product-details/
However, if Bitcoin's value disappears, you are stuck with a bunch of useless tiny boxes.  If you go with the 7970s, you could still sell them to gamers. 
btcnode

Activity: 39

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 05:25:06 PM

If you looking to do a huge investment. There comes huge benefits from going with FPGA's.

Yes the primary benefit is of course tiny electrical costs in comparison to a full system.
For many this could mean 10-20x lower electricity bills or more, when you take into account the system it self and cooling.
Also it be a huge space saver as well, also heat and noise.

I know if I was considered a huge rig deployment it would be FPGA's.
The options right now are a bit limited, and usually they are all custom ordered with a long wait period but it's worth it by all those use them.

Concerning power supplies, I'm more bothered by their efficiency rating. Usually a 1200W will be better.
Having designed and a built a few servers in my time, It's best to go big here.

Concerning Linux, it is scary to the inexperienced but, their is pre-built linux setups like BAMT, which are completely designed for nothing else but as a bit mining OS with all you needing to do is input the final details.

Where are you located? I'd love to chat more about this with you.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: