Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 07:06:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Finger print best thing to prevent hacking?  (Read 1746 times)
Eisenhower34
Legendary

Activity: 906
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 07:35:21 PM

Cryptography is the best way to prevent hacking as long as private keys are randomly generated offline and kept offline.
This is much easier said then done, especially when you are using a private key as a credential, you would need to access your offline computer too many times and introduce too much hardware (likely a USB drive/stick) too many times to get a signed message to your online computer.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 02:37:43 AM

Cryptography is the best way to prevent hacking as long as private keys are randomly generated offline and kept offline.
This is much easier said then done, especially when you are using a private key as a credential, you would need to access your offline computer too many times and introduce too much hardware (likely a USB drive/stick) too many times to get a signed message to your online computer.

I agree that it's a hassle with today's technology, but I think cryptographic security is going to be a booming business for the next several years.  I believe we will likely see new cryptographically secure electronic hardware devices emerge that are designed to generate and store key pairs, sign and verify digital signatures, and encrypt and decrypt data.  These devices hopefully won't even be capable of going online, only exchanging data with a computer or other device that is connected to the internet.

The problem with computers is that security is an afterthought.  They were never designed to secure private keys.  Also, computers are by definition programmable, which means a hacker can potentially make it do something that you don't want it to do.  I think the solution is to not use computers, but hardware devices that are not programmable, and hard-wired specifically to perform cryptographic functions.  (Another application, besides mining, for ASICs, basically.)

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
commandrix

Activity: 798

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 03:15:00 AM

Maybe we can deal with the issue of somebody cutting off people's fingers for their fingerprint by requiring that the finger also have a pulse. Stick your finger into a slot and it'll both take your fingerprint and measure your pulse.
fryarminer

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 03:28:48 AM

Well i was thinking almost every laptop has this feature. Why not enable a system which use finger print to send payments this will eliminate the hacking. Iphone too has finger print so this can be applied if done properly what do you think guys?

Ok, how am I'm out of the loop - almost every laptop takes fingerprints now? (Sorry I haven't used Windows in years.)
No, not every laptop has a reader, but Windows now has built in Biometrics support based on standard driver models.

Ok, thanks!

I used to know a ton about windows... Now I'm oblivious!
philiveyjr
Legendary

Activity: 840

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 08:50:58 PM

How do I integrate Finger print scanner as a password? Is that possible? I find my finger print scanner useless till now!! Huh Huh

virtualx

Activity: 672
Merit: 507

LOTEO

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 08:58:17 PM

Well i was thinking almost every laptop has this feature. Why not enable a system which use finger print to send payments this will eliminate the hacking. Iphone too has finger print so this can be applied if done properly what do you think guys?

Fingerprint are not as secure as you might think. In the end, fingerprint is only a binary code. You leave your fingerprints everywhere...

...loteo...
DIGITAL ERA LOTTERY

r

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████████▄
▄██  ███████▌ ▐██████████████▄
▐██▌ ▐█▀  ▀█    ▐█▀   ▀██▀  ▀██▌
▐██  █▌ █▌ ██  ██▌ ██▌ █▌ █▌ ██▌
▐█▌ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█▌ ▐██  ▄▄▄██ ▐█ ▐██▌
▐█  ██▄  ▄██    █▄    ██▄  ▄███▌