Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:58:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I've finally figured out BFL's name and logo  (Read 2533 times)
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2012, 03:44:12 PM
Last edit: May 03, 2012, 08:23:27 PM by Meni Rosenfeld

I'm not sure if it was clear to everyone but me up to this point, but I've only now consciously realized it.

It's a chaos theory theme. The logo is a simplified plot of a solution in the Lorenz attractor. This is related to butterflies in two ways, hence the name:

1. The plot resembles butterfly wings.
2. Chaos theory is popular for the butterfly effect.

So why chaos? Probably has something to do with the pseudo-random nature of hashing.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
nedbert9

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Inactive

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 03:46:27 PM

I'm not sure if it was clear to everyone but me up to this point, but I've only now realized it.

It's a chaos theory theme. The logo is a simplified plot of a solution in the Lorenz attractor. This is related to butterflies in two ways, hence the name:

So why chaos? Probably has something to do with the pseudo-random nature of hashing.

Duude, that totally makes waiting 9 weeks for BFL gear worth it!!

Wink
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2012, 03:49:33 PM

Meanwhile, back on the farm...

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 03:51:58 PM

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
||bit

Activity: 924
Merit: 506

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 04:47:13 PM

I'm not sure if it was clear to everyone but me up to this point, but I've only now realized it.

Good CSI work to relate the two. It makes sense now.

It also makes me wonder how much this apparent affinity or aptitude towards mathematics has anything to do with how well their product efficiently hashes compared to others FPGA approaches.
punningclan

Activity: 283

Making a better tomorrow, tomorrow.

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 05:01:25 PM

Let's hope it's less pseudo and more random, the logo is strangely attractive though..

It was a cunning plan to have the funny man be the money fan of the punning clan.
1J13NBTKiV8xrAo2dwaD4LhWs3zPobhh5S
ModusPwnd

Activity: 546
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 07:00:45 PM

Chaos however is not random at all.  It is completely deterministic.  Chaos is when slight changes in initial conditions lead to big changes in final conditions.  Of course big and slight are relative terms and accordingly chaos can only be relatively defined.  But one thing it is not is stochastic.
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2012, 07:07:47 PM
Last edit: May 03, 2012, 07:27:12 PM by Meni Rosenfeld

Chaos however is not random at all.  It is completely deterministic.  Chaos is when slight changes in initial conditions lead to big changes in final conditions.  Of course big and slight are relative terms and accordingly chaos can only be relatively defined.  But one thing it is not is stochastic.
So is hashing, that's why it's pseudo-random. It's deterministic but any change in the input changes the output completely, in a way that to the unaided eye (and to any statistical test) seems random.

Saying that "chaos is completely deterministic" is meaningless. Chaos can exist in a theoretical deterministic system, but nature isn't deterministic, and chaos is what translates microscopic randomness to macroscopic randomness.

In fact chaos can be precisely defined, it's when the accuracy required in the initial conditions to obtain a given accuracy in the final conditions is exponential in the time span between the start and finish, as opposed to normal systems where it's polynomial.

Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
ModusPwnd

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 07:16:49 PM

Chaos can exist in a theoretical deterministic system, but nature isn't deterministic,

That means nature is not chaotic.  Or better, that chaos theories, like all theories of nature (or observations) are models and not blueprints.
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2012, 07:25:57 PM

Chaos can exist in a theoretical deterministic system, but nature isn't deterministic,
That means nature is not chaotic.  Or better, that chaos theories, like all theories of nature (or observations) are models and not blueprints.
If the working definition of a chaotic system is that it's sensitive to initial conditions, then a stochastic system certainly can be chaotic (eg, take any deterministic chaotic system and superimpose a randomizing element). I think you're confusing "chaos isn't about randomness (and the study of chaos typically deals with deterministic systems)" with "a chaotic system must by definition be deterministic".

ModusPwnd

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 07:31:04 PM

I think you're confusing "chaos isn't about randomness (and the study of chaos typically deals with deterministic systems)" with "a chaotic system must by definition be deterministic".

Thats new to me.  I think there would be some dispute about that...  Some dispute that a stochastic system can exhibit chaos.  Or if it can, it is a function of the determinism in the system.  In any case, Ill try to pose my statements more carefully.
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2012, 07:44:15 PM

I think you're confusing "chaos isn't about randomness (and the study of chaos typically deals with deterministic systems)" with "a chaotic system must by definition be deterministic".
Thats new to me.  I think there would be some dispute about that...  Some dispute that a stochastic system can exhibit chaos.  Or if it can, it is a function of the determinism in the system.  In any case, Ill try to pose my statements more carefully.
It's purely a matter of definition, I don't think there is any question about the underlying facts. I'm certainly not a chaos expert and some care might be required to give a precise definition that can encompass the stochastic case. I'm guessing it could have something to do with the accuracy required in the initial conditions to reach a certain accuracy in the distribution of the final condition.

imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2012, 08:06:55 PM

And once again, the thread is off topic from the OP

EIEIO:

rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
May 03, 2012, 08:07:27 PM

subed

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2012, 08:08:48 PM

subed

+1

EIEIO:

fizzisist

Activity: 720
Merit: 525

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2012, 07:14:53 AM

sadpandatech already figured the logo out ages ago.

Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2012, 08:48:58 AM

The logo is the Lorenz attractor as I stated in the OP, and I see no mention of this. Async labs almost certainly based their logo on the Lorenz attractor; I don't know what is the relation between Async and BFL, but I wouldn't be surprised if BFL independently came up with the idea of using the Lorenz attractor. Even if the BFL logo was inspired or inherited from the Async logo, it was done with full knowledge of what it represents.

This link to the Lorenz attractor was posted in the first few pages of the first BFL thread.
Nice. It didn't come up in search because of the underscore.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
May 04, 2012, 09:25:06 AM

Really?

Why was he quoting me if he figured it out? lawl

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=48863.msg632409#msg632409

P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
May 04, 2012, 09:37:13 AM

I suspected it was this some time ago Smiley
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
May 04, 2012, 10:10:13 AM

my post was a month before yours... im pretty sure i was first. not that it matters...

hehe. I wonder who did it before you.

I bet if we 'backtrace' it, we'll find that Butterflylab's first post was like:

"Hi gaiz. Our logo is the same as this company. herp derp"

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: