Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:26:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How Stable is the value of Bitcoin?  (Read 1997 times)
Cyanide (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 06, 2012, 08:57:14 PM

Will it fluctuate dramatically, or is it expected to not flux much over time?
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2012, 09:04:38 PM

The price of bitcoins has been very volatile until about the last eight to twelve weeks where it has seemed to stabilise.  Will it stay stable that is a good question but I think the current trend should continue for some time now minus any major events in the bitcoin world happening (like the block reward half'ing in December)

David_Benz
Donator

Activity: 56

you got hacked bitch!

View Profile
May 06, 2012, 09:16:53 PM

Been pretty steady at 5 for the entire year so far pretty much

I am the Bitcoinica Hacker.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 06, 2012, 09:24:33 PM
Last edit: May 06, 2012, 09:44:47 PM by Kluge

A couple weeks ago, blockchain.info had an extended outage, GLBSE went down for a while, MtGox announced they weren't doing wires for a week, and there was a massive Silk Road scam. With all that, not much happened with the price. Does that predict the future? Maybe, to some debatable degree, but it's simply impossible to know.

All that matters is what people with money do, and perhaps that's increasingly not speculators. If Yankee decides to buy 50k coins for a float in a new venture and he keeps it to himself, the price will swing up. Trends might be able to predict what other speculators will likely do after Yankee's buy-in to a degree, but they can't predict Yankee buying 50k coins for undisclosed business reasons. They can't predict the effects of Bitcoin Magazine arriving at folks' houses, they can't predict future hacks on major BTC infrastructure, they can't predict people selling off their BTC to buy an island on a whim.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2012, 09:37:51 PM

A couple weeks ago, blockchain.info had an extended outage, GLBSE went down for a while, MtGox announced they weren't doing wires for a week, and there was a massive Silk Road scam. Not much happened. Does that predict the future? Maybe, to some debatable degree, but it's simply impossible to know.

All that matters is what people with money do, and perhaps that's increasingly not speculators. If Yankee decides to buy 50k coins for a float in a new venture and he keeps it to himself, the price will swing up. Trends might be able to predict what other speculators will likely do after Yankee's buy-in to a degree, but they can't predict Yankee buying 50k coins for undisclosed business reasons. They can't predict the effects of Bitcoin Magazine arriving at folks' houses, they can't predict future hacks on major BTC infrastructure, they can't predict people selling off their BTC to buy an island on a whim.

^ nice TL;DR of the last events  Roll Eyes

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Cyanide (OP)

Activity: 6

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 02:12:55 AM

A couple weeks ago, blockchain.info had an extended outage, GLBSE went down for a while, MtGox announced they weren't doing wires for a week, and there was a massive Silk Road scam. With all that, not much happened with the price. Does that predict the future? Maybe, to some debatable degree, but it's simply impossible to know.

Thanks
Oinsane1

Activity: 42

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 02:19:59 AM

Not stable at all.. though it is more stable than it used to be
enmaku

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 02:27:16 AM

like the block reward half'ing in December

Miner's revenue seems to have stabilized around 25% so with the block reward halving in December one of two things will have to happen to maintain that stability: the price doubles or the difficulty halves (or some combination of the twi). While it's likely that the decreased daily supply (from ~7200 to ~3600 BTC) would increase value somewhat (assuming the demand stays the same) the ~3600 BTC influx that is removed from the block reward halving is a small fraction of daily trade volume, so my money is on difficulty halving as the decreased operating margin pushes less efficient miners out of the game.

Still, I'm interested to see what an effective halving of the inflation rate does to BTC's price point. Whether it's good or bad it will at least be interesting  Grin
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 02:37:49 AM

Aligning with what enmaku stated, here is my prediction:

1)  First few weeks after reward halving --->  No significant changes
2)  Next few weeks --->  Slowly, inefficient miners begin to drop out as they see the price isn't rapidly soaring.
3)  Months later, the price begins to rise slowly and some miners hop back in. 

My reasoning:  After the reward change, I think a lot of miners will continue to mine in anticipation of a value hike.  I think everyone will be more or less waiting to see what happens.  But, I don't believe the price will jump drastically and hold because even though the rate of supply will be cut in half, the total supply will not be cut in half.  As a result, some miners will drop out (but I don't think 50% will).   But, over time, the effects of the decreased supply rate will accumulate and the price will slowly climb.  As this happens, more miners will hop back in since the profit margin will increase again.
Dr.Steve

Activity: 54

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 04:00:13 AM

I've watched the exchanges for many months. There are occasional daily swings, but it seems stable at around $5/btc. It did plummet when TradeHill went dark, but overall, pretty steady.

I'm not sure what the cost of mining is per BTC. Seems to depend on the electric costs.
mollison

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 05:12:15 AM

I'm not sure what the cost of mining is per BTC. Seems to depend on the electric costs.

Here is a site to calculate the profitability of mining.

http://bitcoinx.com/profit/

Maybe you know about this already... but maybe not everyone does.  Grin
J.Socal

Activity: 495
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 08:08:08 AM

Whats stopping a country that wants to mine with nuclear power?
Tuxavant

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2012, 12:11:15 PM

Electrons don't SHA256 themselves. They need a butt load of processors too.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: