Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:36:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why big whales avoid bitcoin  (Read 4753 times)
Anders (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 06:50:48 PM

To speculate a bit, the reason for why the really big investors apparently avoid bitcoin is because:

1. It's too late to get into the bitcoin game. Too many bitcoins in circulation today. Why make the early bitcoin investors trillionaires so that they can dethrone you as a leading financial investor?

2. Can you imagine a big bankster messing with bitcoin paper wallets? I don't think so.

3. Do you think the big professional financial trading systems can be used for investing in bitcoins today?

4. Do you believe the big professional financial traders want to mess with something unregulated?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
piyany

Activity: 168

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 07:05:57 PM

Because the time to invest was when bitcoin was single and double digits? Now you would be just enriching other early investors who already dumped distributed coins to the "public" ?

All the while the network has ridiculous inflation at current prices and someone has to pay the bills.
Anders (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 07:18:38 PM

Because the time to invest was when bitcoin was single and double digits? Now you would be just enriching other early investors who already dumped distributed coins to the "public" ?

All the while the network has ridiculous inflation at current prices and someone has to pay the bills.

In this thread the presenter in the video talked about how mining is the reason for a falling bitcoin price, not people dumping bitcoins: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=784830.0

I would add to mining the lack of big whales investing in bitcoins as a major cause of a low price.

The time to invest could come in the future even for the big whales. If the problems I mentioned in the OP are solved and bitcoin becomes mainstream, then oh my, then there could be huge investments by big whales. So my speculation is only about the current situation.
Edward50

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 07:28:19 PM

I like it, people starting to get it.

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.
FableOfTheBees

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 07:28:41 PM

I feel bad for the guy who bought those FBI coins above market price...
scv00

Activity: 56

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 07:34:06 PM

Perhaps the reason the FBI wanted to sell them so quickly was because they guessed they would drop in price.
bananaControl

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Decentralize All The Things!

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 07:41:52 PM

You feel sorry for a rich guy? Why?

That is most likely how he got rich in the first place, by taking chances. And who knows, that investment isn't all dead yet.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2014, 07:42:06 PM

I don't.

for so many reasons and this one:
http://www.latimes.com/local/political/la-me-pc-six-californias-initiative-20140912-story.html
blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 07:43:13 PM

Three letters: ETF
nuff

Activity: 266

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 07:45:44 PM

Well they can try to avoid, downplay or even denounce Bitcoin, but you can't stop evolution. Money is evolving, fiat is controlled, losing value, and can be created on a whim. Would you trust something can be infinitely created out of thin air? I don't.
FableOfTheBees

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 08:19:51 PM

You feel sorry for a rich guy? Why?

That is most likely how he got rich in the first place, by taking chances. And who knows, that investment isn't all dead yet.

It was a joke, but I'd be upset if I were him, regardless of how much money he owns.
An amorous cow-herder

Activity: 322

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 08:20:32 PM

Would you trust something can be infinitely created out of thin air? I don't.
Hmm. So, like Bitcoin? Changing block rewards would be simple. What happens if 50%+ of the miners demand higher block rewards?
Saying BTC has a fixed money supply is just worth just as much if the head of central bank would say something like "no more new money will be printed in 100 years".
Anders (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 08:21:41 PM

Well they can try to avoid, downplay or even denounce Bitcoin, but you can't stop evolution. Money is evolving, fiat is controlled, losing value, and can be created on a whim. Would you trust something can be infinitely created out of thin air? I don't.

The really big players are probably just waiting for government regulations to be implemented. And then they will launch their own kickass cryptocurrency and/or start investing in bitcoin like crazy.
bigasic

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 08:24:35 PM

In this thread the presenter in the video talked about how mining is the reason for a falling bitcoin price, not people dumping bitcoins: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=784830.0

I would add to mining the lack of big whales investing in bitcoins as a major cause of a low price.

The time to invest could come in the future even for the big whales. If the problems I mentioned in the OP are solved and bitcoin becomes mainstream, then oh my, then there could be huge investments by big whales. So my speculation is only about the current situation.

I mostly agree. When mining was in the hands of your average joe, they usually held on to most, if not all of their coin. Since miners are now big companies that have huge bills to pay, more bitcoins are hitting the market.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 02:21:04 AM

I also remember paying 6.95 CAD per XBT in January 2012 and watching the price drop to 4.38 CAD per XBT in March 2012. It was painful.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
FableOfTheBees

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 05:38:02 AM

I also remember paying 6.95 CAD per XBT in January 2012 and watching the price drop to 4.38 CAD per XBT in March 2012. It was painful.

It's always painful to watch the invisible hand do its work.
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 11:02:02 AM

Because they don't really understand money. They understand polititan-leg-fucking.

piyany

Activity: 168

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 11:31:07 AM

Because they don't really understand money. They understand polititan-leg-fucking.

Money is what the guy with the biggest stick tells you it is.
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 12:46:41 PM

Money is what the guy with the biggest stick tells you it is.

That's not what my horse shoe transacting friend Klaus says, via my medium to the dead people of medieval Hamburg.
Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 12:50:07 PM

Would you trust something can be infinitely created out of thin air? I don't.
Hmm. So, like Bitcoin? Changing block rewards would be simple. What happens if 50%+ of the miners demand higher block rewards?
Saying BTC has a fixed money supply is just worth just as much if the head of central bank would say something like "no more new money will be printed in 100 years".

If 50%+ of the miners demand higher block reward, they can change the protocol and mine on their own fork. The rest of the network will continue to use Bitcoin and the remaining miners will se their profit increase.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: