Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:38:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Android wallet eats funds  (Read 1782 times)
freakbits (OP)

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 07:20:28 PM

Hi, I just got the Android wallet and transmitted a few mBTC to and from it for testing purpose. For some reason it ate about 7% of the funds!! On each transaction it lost 0.1 mBTC!
I looked into the settings if I maybe overlooked something but there's nothing. Where is my money?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 07:22:35 PM

You must be new here.  Grin

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
freakbits (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 07:38:26 PM

Lol yes, I am. But losing money is not a joke, it's serious. Even if bitcoin is currently not super high it's still money that got lost and I'd like why and I'd like it back!
Andreas Schildbach

Activity: 483
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 07:44:31 PM

Hi, I just got the Android wallet and transmitted a few mBTC to and from it for testing purpose. For some reason it ate about 7% of the funds!! On each transaction it lost 0.1 mBTC!
I looked into the settings if I maybe overlooked something but there's nothing. Where is my money?

What you see is the standard Bitcoin transaction fee, which goes to the miners. It's 0.1 mBTC per kB of transaction.
freakbits (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 07:46:33 PM

uh where does it say so? I didn't agree to something like that. Especially if it makes up 7% of the whole transaction value!
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2014, 07:50:48 PM

uh where does it say so? I didn't agree to something like that. Especially if it makes up 7% of the whole transaction value!

Usually the wallet does not ask you for it, but just does it. The alternative is that people start complaining that their TX does not get confirmed. It might take up to a week for a TX without fee to get a confirmation.
See also here: https://github.com/schildbach/bitcoin-wallet/issues/18

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
freakbits (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 07:57:10 PM

Well, I don't think a wallet should just take your funds without asking you. I don't want to call it theft, but it seems pretty much on the borderline of legal.
Also, 7% is way too much. Make it at most 0.01% of the funds transmitted, and I won't complain. Also, ASK or at the very least TELL me about it first!
Andreas Schildbach

Activity: 483
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 08:03:51 PM

This is the wrong forum to discuss a standard network rule. I suggest posting to the general forum.

The next major version 4.0 will calculate and display the fee in advance. So it will not feel unexpected. However, the fee amount will be the same.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2014, 08:10:46 PM

Well, I don't think a wallet should just take your funds without asking you. I don't want to call it theft, but it seems pretty much on the borderline of legal.

Its not for the wallet or Andreas Schildbach, you pay the miners to include your TX. If they do not include your TX your bitcoin will be almost impossible to spend until they do. With your wording that would be "holding hostage". Maybe for a week. Would you have understood this consequence as a newbie? I dont think so. Several people that use bitcoin do not understand the importance of fees and try to cheap their way out of them. There is at least 1 post per week in tech support or similar subboards. Also some post in this sticky [1]. The app does what is best for you or at least for most users.

Also, 7% is way too much. Make it at most 0.01% of the funds transmitted, and I won't complain. Also, ASK or at the very least TELL me about it first!

There is an ongoing discussion how big a fee is enough. A percentage fee makes no sense, but as it was pointed out this should not be discussed here.

[1] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=232979.0

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 05:16:44 PM

talk real :
- for old coin, take 0,2 mBTC of fee.
- for new coin, take 0,1 mBTC of fee.

indicate cost : 6,4c of Euros
cost of a wire (international) : 9,57 Euros

when i transmit a 1 BTC on network, the cost is 0,0001 BTC ... i do this every 2 weeks.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2014, 10:52:23 AM

I know its a standard rule but it would be good if you make an option to change/remove fees though the default should be 0.1mBTC . Making a note like : 0.0001BTC/0.1mBTC is recommended. Making the fee lower may delay the payment confirmation, making the bitcoins unavailable for a few days . Roll Eyes

~~MZ~~

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: