Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:06:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you going to do, when (if) bitcoin hit $1000/BTC?  (Read 10768 times)
dingus

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 07:14:53 AM

I will not worry about making money in order to feed / support myself.  Smiley

ding·us/ˈdiNGgəs/
Noun: Used to refer to something whose name the speaker cannot remember, is unsure of, or is humorously or euphemistically omitting
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
joeydangerous

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 07:25:58 AM

I don't have enough coins yet to become a millionaire, but I'd do the same as dlingus, I'd quit working and live my dream of drawing a webcomic full time and also make a video game at some point.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
asdf

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 07:37:26 AM

Pay off my student loans so the assholes will stop calling me.

If you loans are at a fixed interest rate, pay them off as slow as possible. Inflation will eat it up and, assuming you're in the USA, you're gonna get some serious inflation!
gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 07:51:00 AM

A good quote I once heard went something like this...

"A man who dreams of what he will spend his millions on, will never acquire a million dollars."

More of a proverb I suppose. Think about it.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 07:58:42 AM

I'd use it to make more money. Probably I'd start a business or two.

I can't think of many luxury things I want, though I have always wanted an ISP-level Internet connection with a large block of IP addresses. Once I become even more rich, I might buy an island.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2011, 08:01:22 AM

I'd use it to make more money. Probably I'd start a business or two.

I can't think of many luxury things I want, though I have always wanted an ISP-level Internet connection with a large block of IP addresses. Once I become even more rich, I might buy an island.

Yeah, I think a lot of us will be 'manipulating prices' in the island market in a few years.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 09:06:57 AM

1) Build up a private lab for developing interplanetary spacecraft propulsion, compact energy sources and esoteric aerospace technologies.

2) Build up a stable of racehorses and an associated breeding stud.

3) Dabble in yacht racing.

4) Corner what's left of the gold market.

5) Hookers and blow ... on the weekends only (or on trips to Langley).

stakhanov

Activity: 175
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 09:40:54 AM

Quit my job and only do open source development.

Same here. This has been my dream for a while Smiley
deadlizard

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 09:44:27 AM

Hookers and blow, anyone?
+1
Hookers and blow

btc address:1MEyKbVbmMVzVxLdLmt4Zf1SZHFgj56aqg
gpg fingerprint:DD1AB28F8043D0837C86A4CA7D6367953C6FE9DC

caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 09:55:55 AM

I might buy an island.

That! Or even better, build my own seastead. Smiley
But I don't think a $1000 bitcoin price would be enough for me to do so. I don't have that many bitcoins, unfortunately. Sad
no to the gold cult

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 09:59:46 AM

Buy the government and turn it off  Smiley

Um, isn't that what the Koch brothers are already attempting to do?

I'd pay off debts, throw a wild party, and go travel through India and Thailand for a year.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 10:45:38 AM

... I might buy an island.

Yeah, I think a lot of us will be 'manipulating prices' in the island market in a few years.
One problem with even the most wonderful islands is that they can be lonely places to live, and they usually have no internet connectivity except slow and expensive satellite.

It Bitcoin hits $1000, I will try to attract a small group of freedom-loving Bitcoiners to buy an island that's big enough for us all, and on which we can install high-speed internet.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2011, 11:02:35 AM

... I might buy an island.

One problem with even the most wonderful islands is that they can be lonely places to live, and they usually have no internet connectivity except slow and expensive satellite.

It Bitcoin hits $1000, I will try to attract a small group of freedom-loving Bitcoiners to buy an island that's big enough for us all, and on which we can install high-speed internet.

I'm in. See you next year?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 11:13:33 AM

If Bitcoin hits $1000, I will try to attract a small group of freedom-loving Bitcoiners to buy an island that's big enough for us all, and on which we can install high-speed internet.

... like the Free State project. I've wondered about the feasability of doing this ... Some of these smaller Islands only have a few thousand residents, the outer ones sometimes less. If a group of "free staters" showed up in numbers they could just make the the place its own nation, zero taxes, gold/bitcoin, internet private banking, poker servers, etc .... then what they get blacklisted as a 'non-compliant country' ... so what?

Pick one that is a relay station for some fiber cable for good internet ... close to flight/shipping routes may make it more desirable also.

These ones only have 609 residents and dropping ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chatham_Islands#Population

Fiji is a relay point for fibre crossing but is ruled by a power-mad general at present ...

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 11:33:32 AM

If we can get very high-speed Internet, count me in!

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
caveden
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 11:36:40 AM

Cool, I'd join. Smiley The problem is that existent islands are all controlled by governments. I think it's easier to create a seastead, if you want freedom. Technology for that already exists, the only thing missing is either rich people wanting to "retire" like that, or a business model good enough to maintain such seastead - and brave entrepreneurs wanting to take the risks.
caveden
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 11:41:03 AM

If Bitcoin hits $1000, I will try to attract a small group of freedom-loving Bitcoiners to buy an island that's big enough for us all, and on which we can install high-speed internet.

... like the Free State project. I've wondered about the feasability of doing this ... Some of these smaller Islands only have a few thousand residents, the outer ones sometimes less. If a group of "free staters" showed up in numbers they could just make the the place its own nation, zero taxes, gold/bitcoin, internet private banking, poker servers, etc .... then what they get blacklisted as a 'non-compliant country' ... so what?

There are fully inhabited islands around the world, if you want. But all controlled by governments.

I'm a bit skeptical about this idea of "taking over" a country with immigration. I think people would react badly to that. Nationals may easily turn against you. They'd see this as a foreign invasion.
deadlizard

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 11:51:17 AM

http://www.privateislandsonline.com/

btc address:1MEyKbVbmMVzVxLdLmt4Zf1SZHFgj56aqg
gpg fingerprint:DD1AB28F8043D0837C86A4CA7D6367953C6FE9DC

TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 12:58:01 PM

I'd probably shower myself with expensive gadgets and toys, among other things

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 01:13:00 PM

There are fully inhabited islands around the world, if you want. But all controlled by governments.

I'm a bit skeptical about this idea of "taking over" a country with immigration. I think people would react badly to that. Nationals may easily turn against you. They'd see this as a foreign invasion.

Just buy a couple mansions on a mainland nearby for everyone.

For people really interested in not dealing with existing governaments at all, if you get like the-IMF-borrows-money-from-you rich or somthing, perhaps you could invest in research for developing means to guide underground magma flows so you can grow your own island (after Sealand they changed the rules so you can just build soil for your new country, but i guess if you had your own volcano lair in the middle of the ocean that was created the same way many accepted sovereign lands have, they might have a hard time coming up with an argument against your own sovereingnity(sp?), and if all else fails, you can hold the world hostage anyway since you now can make volcanos grow into their comercial centers and shit *raises one eyebrow and sticks a pinky in the corner of his smirk*

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: