Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 09:38:32 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Monero Distributed Mining Initiative - BCX attack denied  (Read 6151 times)
Skinnkavaj (OP)

Activity: 469
Merit: 250

English Motherfucker do you speak it ?

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 06:43:02 PM
Last edit: September 24, 2014, 09:40:25 PM by Skinnkavaj

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only way to defeat the BCX attack, is by pure hash power. I have analyzed this whole situation over the past days and only come to one conclusion. To win this war, in practical we need to put up as much hashing power possible. There is no programming error that can cause any double spend, as long as the hashing power is distributed we will all be safe. Consensus always wins.

To secure Monero and earn XMR from mining:
1. Put all your mining rigs on XMR.
2. If you do not have a mining rig, start cloud mining. We need as many people as possible to turn hash rate to Monero.  

Here is a guide for cloud mining Monero written by jwinterm. It assumes you have setup an account at https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/ and linked your credit card.

1) Click on EC2, and then click on Spot Requests under Instances on left sidebar.

2) Click Request Spot Instances blue button near top, and then click Community AMIs and search for XMRminer. Select XMRminer2.

3) For Instance Type, select GPU instances g2.2xlarge, click next and set your maximum price (kind of expensive now, need to do like
$0.09 per hour, used to be more like $0.06).

4) Click Review and Launch and then click Launch. At this point you need to setup your ssh keys. I did this a while ago, so I don't remember exact details, but it should be pretty straightforward. Here is a link to Amazon's official tutorial on key pair creation:
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/ec2-key-pairs.html
Let me know if you have issues.

5) Make yourself a cup of tea and wait 30-120 seconds while your instance is prepared.

6) You'll need to ssh into your instance. On Linux you just put your ssh keys in ~/.ssh and set permissions for 400 (I think), and if you ssh from that folder, that's all you need to do. I think on Windows, using Putty, you need to maybe convert the key to putty's format using an extra putty tool. Let me know if you need additional help with this. Here are Amazon's official links on how to connect if you're having trouble:
ssh/Linux - http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/AccessingInstancesLinux.html
Putty/Windows - http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/putty.html
More Putty - http://docs.aws.amazon.com/gettingstarted/latest/wah-linux/getting-started-deploy-app-connect.html

7) Click on Instances in the left sidebar, and you should see a g2.2xlarge instance with green circle that says running. Click that and then click Connect at the top, and it should give you your IP address to connect to with some instructions.

8 ) On Linux your ssh command should look like:
Code:
ssh -i aws1.pem ubuntu@54.191.192.111
Use ubuntu as user not root.

9) Maybe it's more like 180-300 seconds. Drink some tea while waiting.

10) When it prompts you to permanently add key, click "yes".

11) Now, you need to edit cpustart.sh and gpustart.sh in your home directory using either vi or nano, unless you want to mine to my XMR address Wink It looks like if you want to mine directly to exchange, just replace my XMR address in both files with YourExchangeXMRAddress.YourExchangePaymentID.

12) You need to run two commands, one to make gpuminer work, and other to make cpuminer much faster:
Code:
sudo ldconfig /usr/local/cuda-5.5/lib64
sudo sysctl -w vm.nr_hugepages=24

13) I just made another script called start.sh to launch both miners at once, and it seems to work. So do:
Code:
touch start.sh
then vi or nano start.sh and add:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
screen /home/ubuntu/cpustart.sh
screen /home/ubuntu/gpustart.sh
then:
Code:
chmod 755 start.sh
and then launch with:
Code:
sudo screen ./start.sh
You need the screen so that when you disconnect your ssh session, the miners keep mining.

That's it. You can disconnect and both miners should be hashing away. You can ssh back in and run
Code:
ps -A
and you should see minerd and ccminer listed in the processes somewhere near the bottom.

If you want to launch a shitload of instances, then obviously you want to automate this process and not do it manually every time. In this case, you need to make sure you edit the files so that they have your XMR address and not mine, and create the start.sh script in home directory, then edit the rc.local file by doing:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/rc.local
and add the following lines:
Code:
ldconfig /usr/local/cuda-5.5/lib64
sysctl -w vm.nr_hugepages=24
screen /home/ubuntu/start.sh
This way, as soon as the instance boots up, it should autolaunch the miners. I haven't tried this final automation part (as I don't normally launch a shitload of instances), but I think this should work, and I'm gonna verify it now.

Now, go back to your EC2 console, right-click on the g2.2xlarge instance in your Instances window, and select Create Image. This will sever your connection and cause a reboot, but you will now have your own image/AMI that you can launch 10s or 100s or 1000s of, just by entering however many instances you want when filling out your spot request form.

I just tried the rc.local thing, and it seems to auto-launch ccminer and minerd Smiley

Current hash rate: 16,655,833 H / s

UPDATE: Please consider SOLO mining, if you have to use pool make sure to use backups. BCX will try to DDOS pools in order to gain more control of the network in order to successfully execute the attack. BCX took down poloniex just minutes ago. Instructions for solo mining with private pool here

rdnkjdi
Legendary

Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 06:51:26 PM

And do NOT MINE on the three largest pools.

BCX could bribe one of the largest pools and it would make financial sense for any one of them to sell for 100 btc which would give him control of the hash (saw someone else mention this).  It's fear mongering - but from an economic perspective it would probably be cheaper for him than AWS.

Or ddos.

BTW - LOVE the pic.  Absolutely classic.
From Above

Activity: 700
Merit: 520

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 06:52:28 PM

pussy blabla with large pic of the monero slaveholder

just let it die dude. best for the good of all to have the $hitcoin gone

~CfA~

J1mb0

Activity: 983
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 06:54:04 PM

ROFL

So after pissing off 90% of the forum over several months you ask for help! Hahahahahaha!

Die, shitcoin DIE!  Grin

▄▆▆▄
           ▄████████▄
        ▄██████████████▄
     ▄███████      ███████▄
  ▄███████            ███████▄
███████                  ███████
█████▀                    ▀▀██▀
█████
█████                       ▄▆█
█████                   ▆██████
█████                   ████████
  ▀█                   █▀ ▐████
▄                          ▐████
██▆▄▄                    ▄█████
███████                  ███████
  ▀███████            ███████▀
     ▀███████      ███████▀
        ▀██████████████▀
           ▀████████▀

. Graphene Airdrop Coming Soon by Phore .
  █████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
█████████               ████████
█████████           ▅▆████████▌
█████████     ▅▅▆████████████▌
█████████▆█████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████▀▀▀
████████████████▀▀▀
█████████▀▀
█████████
█████████
From Above

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 06:55:21 PM

BCX could bribe one of the largest pools

LOL nifty boy ... apparently u aren't aware of the fact that BCX himself owns and operates one of the largest pools of all around

~CfA~

rdnkjdi
Legendary

Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 06:57:25 PM

LOL nifty boy ... apparently u aren't aware of the fact that BCX himself owns and operates one of the largest pools of all around

~CfA~

Of XMR  Roll Eyes

uh no.  fail.
From Above

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 07:00:07 PM

~CfA~

Of XMR  Roll Eyes

uh no.  fail.

ROFL u Monero guys crack me up, cute!  u can let 3000 additional miners mine with their little computers and u won't do shit against the hashing power he has at hands. u dont even know what youre dealing with

gonna be a sudden death

~CfA~

Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 07:04:33 PM

LMAO... You guys are fucked.. First the devs are out trying to raise 300K on the eve on destruction and now this begging for hashpower.

Wow you xmr dudes really are feeling the pinch.

So what I want to know is, WHO'S GOING TO BE THE LAST BAGHOLDERS?
Moneroman88

Activity: 448
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 07:17:22 PM

~CfA~

Oh I'm so frightened! Please go ahead and tell us BitcoinEXpress owns Ghash.io! I'm shaking!

You're a clown. Just one of those who'd believe *anything* that comes from BCX's mouth like a mindless tard

AdamWhite

Activity: 605
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 07:23:07 PM

Good stuff OP

I have 10 instances set up thanks to the guide above.

For anyone wishing to mine but can't use AWS for whatever reason, I am willing to set up instances for you in exchange for BTC or alt coins, at cost. If you're interested in this, PM me.
CryptoCarmen

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 07:30:31 PM

People mine what is worth to mine. when price will go back to 0.005BTC, there will be over 3MH/s. Now let the rest of miners to earn some easy Moneros.

@Stealthcoin

shitcoins are those that just vanish in 100.000 batches. Even if they have 70 characters long passwords. Get stolen one way or another.  Monero is altho is a baby quite cool.
infofront
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2790

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 07:31:21 PM

30MH would be a good number to shoot for.
evergrow

Activity: 426
Merit: 256

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2014, 07:32:54 PM

I'm so tired of Monero topics, when will the mess stop?
CryptoCarmen

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 07:35:20 PM

I'm so tired of Monero topics, when will the mess stop?

complain to moderators if it is bothers you. you have all right. i reported some threads, because of to hard insults,  but mostly seems they dont care much.
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1130

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 08:02:36 PM
Last edit: September 22, 2014, 08:15:04 PM by superresistant

BCX could bribe one of the largest pools and it would make financial sense for any one of them to sell for 100 btc which would give him control of the hash (saw someone else mention this).  It's fear mongering - but from an economic perspective it would probably be cheaper for him than AWS.

No way he could bribe me. Fuck this *beeeeep*.
From Above

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 08:11:13 PM

BCX could bribe one of the largest pools and it would make financial sense for any one of them to sell for 100 btc which would give him control of the hash (saw someone else mention this).  It's fear mongering - but from an economic perspective it would probably be cheaper for him than AWS.

No way he could bride me. Fuck this *beeeeep*.

ROFL

~CfA~

Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 08:12:50 PM

ROFL

So after pissing off 90% of the forum over several months you ask for help! Hahahahahaha!

Die, shitcoin DIE!  Grin

Well said good sir! Well said indeed.
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1130

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 08:16:20 PM

BCX could bribe one of the largest pools and it would make financial sense for any one of them to sell for 100 btc which would give him control of the hash (saw someone else mention this).  It's fear mongering - but from an economic perspective it would probably be cheaper for him than AWS.
ROFL
~CfA~

Marry me please.
Come-In-Behind

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 08:20:34 PM

ROFL
~CfA~

Marry me please.

I'll marry you, sugardaddy.
Wulfcastle

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2014, 08:24:14 PM

ROFL

Die, shitcoin DIE!  Grin

1+

+ Infinity
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: