Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 03:59:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternative ways of spam prevention  (Read 990 times)
Najska (OP)

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 08:33:57 PM

Sorry if it's already been discussed, but I couldn't find any source regarding this issue.

How would it be if the spam transactions are prevented not by transaction fees but by a method like Hashcash's e-mail spam prevention? Then the transaction fees may be set to zero. Isn't it possible?

RawDog
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1026

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2014, 09:08:11 PM

Sorry if it's already been discussed, but I couldn't find any source regarding this issue.

How would it be if the spam transactions are prevented not by transaction fees but by a method like Hashcash's e-mail spam prevention? Then the transaction fees may be set to zero. Isn't it possible?
Why don't we just track the fuckers down with Roger Ver's new system and then just beat the holy shit out of them until they can no longer operate a computer?

*Image Removed* *Expletive Removed*  *Obsenity Removed*
What's going on - Slavetards?!!!
Watch my videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE43M1Z8Iew  1FuckYouc6zrtHbnqcHdhrSVhcxgpJgfds
andytoshi

Activity: 179
Merit: 151

-

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 09:43:10 PM

The problem (and also the problem with using Hashcash for email spam) is that attackers are always willing to invest more on dishonest behaviour than honest users are willing to invest on honest behaviour. They can buy dedicated hardware, use botnets, etc., meanwhile honest users will be trying to build transactions on slow devices with low battery capacity.

Also, unlike email "spam" in Bitcoin can be produced by honest users simply because there are so many of them relative to the limited blocksize. So for a hashcash-like system to actually filter transactions to the degree necessary, it would need to be turned up so high that users could not do the computation on their own devices. So then they'd pay some third party and you're back to the fee situation, except now the people choosing the transactions aren't the ones receiving the fees, so you have an incentive mismatch.

Quote from: RawDog
Why don't we just track the fuckers down with Roger Ver's new system and then just beat the holy shit out of them until they can no longer operate a computer?
Please take this garbage elsewhere.
Najska (OP)

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 12:06:25 AM

I see that. Thank you, andytoshi.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: