Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 10:00:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [NEWS] Butterfly Labs - Shut Down by US Government  (Read 7700 times)
bigasic

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 06:11:48 PM

Sounds like ole' Sonny is going back to the pen. I believe he was still on probation, so they will throw him in asap for violating that, then the new charges, that will likely take a couple years to finish.. Once a crook, always a crook..
Tigggger
Legendary

Activity: 1098

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 06:27:12 PM

Stratobitz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 06:32:18 PM

Looking forward to a 140 BTC refund for my 2012 jalepeno and single order.... Wink

More detail on where the BTC money went. Basically the claim is from the get go they never planned to deliver. Crazy.

Federal authorities believe that the three named members of the company’s board of directors—Jody Drake (aka Darla Drake), Nasser Ghoseiri, and Sonny Vleisides—spent millions of dollars of corporate revenue on all kinds of things, including saunas and guns, while ignoring many customer orders that went unfulfilled or were significantly delayed.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/09/feds-label-bitcoin-miner-maker-butterfly-labs-as-systematic-deception/

Strato
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 06:41:20 PM

Aww, it's too bad that Josh is just an employee. I'd sure love to hear about him being raped is prison.

LDeneault

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 07:06:10 PM

The question I have is this:  the FTC documents refer, in multiple places, to the "harm" done to customers by the seemingly intentional delays in hardware delivery.

As a former BFL customer - who was at least smart enough to get a refund at the first possible opportunity - since I've been harmed is BFL liable for my damages?  It would make things very, very interesting if BFL was held responsible for the potential losses caused by not delivering the hardware in the time they stated.

At the very least, they ought to have to pay some reasonable about of interest for all the pre-orders which were essentially 0% loans to them.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 07:06:40 PM

Aww, it's too bad that Josh is just an employee. I'd sure love to hear about him being raped is prison.

http://www.butterflylabs.com/management-view/josh-zerlan-3/

"VP Product Development" sounds like a bit more than "just an employee".  In fact, isn't a severe failure of Product Development precisely the reason the company is now in this mess?

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
opieum2

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 07:12:38 PM

They will be in receivership most likely at this point. At best you can hope they kept shitty books and you get a second refund lol. But somehow I doubt it. They will liquidate the hardware somehow at the cheapest cost somehow most likley just to ensure people all get made whole. There are plenty of ways this could go. FTC I do think will make an honest effort to make things right, but BFL likley has alot of it hidden out. And having their assets frozen at least makes it good for everyone. Homes will be sold, saunas auctioned off fancy cars, etc all auctioned off like they were drug dealers. Easy enough to recoup some if not all of the losses. But seems a stretch to expect interest, unless the FTC can make a solid case of it. Might be an untenable situation. FYI I too was lucky enough to get a refund, but it took nearly 6 months to make it happen. I placed an order of November of last year and quickly realized they were not going to deliver. January I started the refund process and they were not replying. At which point I filed with the FTC (yea BFL I am one of the 300 who filed....THIS IS SPARTA!!!!).

The question I have is this:  the FTC documents refer, in multiple places, to the "harm" done to customers by the seemingly intentional delays in hardware delivery.

As a former BFL customer - who was at least smart enough to get a refund at the first possible opportunity - since I've been harmed is BFL liable for my damages?  It would make things very, very interesting if BFL was held responsible for the potential losses caused by not delivering the hardware in the time they stated.

At the very least, they ought to have to pay some reasonable about of interest for all the pre-orders which were essentially 0% loans to them.

"amtminers scam joshua zipkin scammer"
-Joshua Zipkin leaked skype chats http://bit.ly/1s7U2Yb
-For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself.
MelMan2002

Activity: 461
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 07:19:24 PM

I'm surprised that the hash rate on EMC hasn't dropped at all.

You don't expect to have their farm in their offices and registered under the same company name right? But I hope someone will tip FTC about EMC!

IIRC Josh ran EMC well before he ever got involved with BFL.

19F6veduCZcudwXuWoVosjmzziQz4EhBPS
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 07:23:57 PM

"VP Product Development" sounds like a bit more than "just an employee".  In fact, isn't a severe failure of Product Development precisely the reason the company is now in this mess?

What a happy idea. We can only hope. Let's take up bounty for any inmate or guard that snaps a pic of Josh bent over a prison cot.

ocminer
Legendary

Activity: 2660
Merit: 1240

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2014, 07:24:03 PM

You don't expect to have their farm in their offices and registered under the same company name right? But I hope someone will tip FTC about EMC!

Thats correct but IIRC he sold EMC to BFL shortly after he started to work there.

suprnova pools - reliable mining pools - #suprnova on freenet
https://www.suprnova.cc - FOLLOW us @ Twitter ! twitter.com/SuprnovaPools
seriouscoin

Activity: 658

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 07:24:37 PM

he sold it to bfl
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 07:27:21 PM

Still just an employee. As much as I'd like for Josh to put on his big boy orange jumpsuit, he appears to have no ownership in the company and thus his liability is minimal. Fancy title means little. He had no authority to do anything.

Buy & Hold
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 07:29:10 PM

Still just an employee. As much as I'd like for Josh to put on his big boy orange jumpsuit, he appears to have no ownership in the company and thus his liability is minimal. Fancy title means little. He had no authority to do anything.

Ur killin my buzz dude.  Sad

LDeneault

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 07:34:22 PM

Since part of the fraud revolves around intentionally delaying the delivery of hardware, his role at BFL would put him smack in the middle of things despite the fact that he doesn't own the company.

I think it would boil down to:

1.) Were there really delays in manufacturing the Monarch?
2.) When he made the public statements about delivery times, was he intentionally misleading customers?

The inability to deliver useful hardware in the stated time-frame would rest at the feet of the person in charge of such things, which would be Josh methinks.  That would put Josh's role in the center of the fraud.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 07:37:57 PM

Since part of the fraud revolves around intentionally delaying the delivery of hardware, his role at BFL would put him smack in the middle of things despite the fact that he doesn't own the company.

I think it would boil down to:

1.) Were there really delays in manufacturing the Monarch?
2.) When he made the public statements about delivery times, was he intentionally misleading customers?

The inability to deliver useful hardware in the stated time-frame would rest at the feet of the person in charge of such things, which would be Josh methinks.  That would put Josh's role in the center of the fraud.

I like the way you think.  Wink

CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 07:44:34 PM
Last edit: September 23, 2014, 08:15:14 PM by CoinHoarder

I can't find it right now, but someone with inside knowledge here on the forums stated that not everyone that had ownership in the company was charged, and then went on to state Josh was not charged in the same post. I am assuming he was alluding to at the very least Josh having at least a small ownership percentage.. he does seem pretty high up in the company.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 2604

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 07:45:27 PM

I'm not.  If they are on there they are running small potatoes. I'm #4 there and running only 8TH. Biggest miner on EMC is 33 TH with #2 @ 20TH.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome!  3NtFuzyWREGoDHWeMczeJzxFZpiLAFJXYr
 -Sole remaining active Primary developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
jbrnt

Activity: 672

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 07:47:14 PM

So the posts about the raid was real? I was sceptical at first, because I could find any source to confirm it. They really deserved it. BFL has tainted the bitcoin community for long enough.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2014, 07:48:15 PM

So the posts about the raid was real? I was sceptical at first, because I could find any source to confirm it. They really deserved it. BFL has tainted the bitcoin community for long enough.

Yes they were. The court's filings were sent to a long list of people including ex employees, but were sealed until today. Hence we knew about their existence but couldn't prove it.

Zelek Uther

Activity: 700
Merit: 504

Run a Bitcoin node.

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 08:03:10 PM

Don't worry Sonny, you will only be wearing your stylish new orange jumpsuit for Two WeeksTM.

Wink

Run a Bitcoin node, support the network.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: