Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:20:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there an ACTUAL working bitcoin app?  (Read 2194 times)
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 03:21:13 PM

Ahhh... XP... Until last month, I preferred to use XP SP3 (with updates until the last one, actually got a slip-streamed iso for doing fresh installs)

But when I had XP SP3 last month, I was also using the latest bitcoin version, 32 bit. That worked for me.

Major reason I switched to 7 is because I got a new laptop and I could not install XP on it, no matter what I tried. Wierd, but I didn't waste too much time. After a week of trying I gave up and installed 7 instead.

Besides, I now have 8 gigs of RAM so it was probably better I switched to a 64 bit OS. (Old laptop had 2 gig of RAM, so I saw no need to upgrade from XP SP3.)

I have a bunch of older laptops and desktops running XP SP3, I'll try and see if bitcoin core works there.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2014, 03:29:08 PM

Hard disk is fine, runnin 6 of 12 x 500gig seagate pipeline hd 2's.. and several of my audio apps wont work if there was an hd error..

I agree it's likely if you're doing a lot of audio editing that you probably would have noticed a hardware issue, but it's still possible that there's a hardware issue. The only way to be certain is by testing (e.g. an error scan with HD Tune or a "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" in Windows...)

From my own personal experience: when my DRAM died, the only applications I had trouble with were Armory and Bitcoin Core. Everything else (for example compilers and games, both of which are hardware-intensive) seemed fine. It was only after I ran Memtest86+ that I was convinced it was my hardware's fault, and not Bitcoin Core's.
tss

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 03:58:05 PM

stupidity will defeat bitcoin
Decksperiment (OP)

Activity: 630
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 03:59:44 PM

Ach, more likely there's a stupid isp playing with hindering p2p traffic.. virgins main testbed is where I live, then the usa get it 2 yrs later lol, just like the docsis 3 update. Since 2 months ago, or when the police starte clamping down on torrent sites etc, even web pages are slown to a crawl, I blamed it on ajax scripting once.. then put it down to so many websites looking the same..

Notice how torrents of late are getting slower and slower regardless of the popularity?

This would affect p2p..

Gonna go for a fresh format soon, so will just wait till then, whits a few more days..??

As for re-installing xp, I have never failed to put it on any machine.. Wink

Decksperiment (OP)

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 04:00:25 PM

Yup, the stupidity of the devs.. who'll eventually stop xp support Wink
Dabs
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 10:56:25 PM

That's not so bad, you know. I pushed for XP support for Armory (see their sub-forum). I used XP all the way in almost every hardware I got.

XP is officially dead. But, like many corporations, I have it installed in almost all my computers at the factory; about 20 desktops. (I run a small clothing manufacturing thing.)

I don't have the time anymore to try and figure out why I can't do a virgin fresh format XP install on a completely wiped drive that previously had XP on it for the last 4 years; same with the new laptop. For some reason it's not working, even turning off AHCI to IDE, but that shouldn't have been the problem.

Try 7. I usually set my XP to "classic" look, so I did the same with 7. Now I miss the darn "edit" command (64 bit does not have edit!!!)

My brother-in-law has praises for 8.1 ... I installed that on an even older laptop, just to get familiar with it. New look bothers me though.

ForgottenPassword

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 11:05:32 PM

This is somewhat offtopic, but anyway, hackers have been reverse engineering new security updates for latest versions of Windows to try and find security holes in Windows XP because Microsoft no longer releases security updates for XP (except in one recent case).

There have been some severe security issues patched recently (such as the IE one: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/usanow/2014/05/01/microsoft-issues-internet-explorer-security-fix/8562737/ ) and all Windows XP users could be easily attacked using these security flaws.

You really should NOT be using XP or you'll be easy pickings for hackers.

Anyway, Bitcoin Core fully supports XP. I would try to help you with whatever issue you're having but I think it'd be a waste of my time.

I have private messages disabled. Send me an email instead. My contact details can be found here.

Tip Address: 13Lwo1hK5smoBpFWxmqeKSL52EvN8U7asX
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 11:15:16 PM

What, 10 years of updates, and no fuckin cancel payment button?
my sides are in orbit

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
Decksperiment (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 12:36:23 AM

With regards to XP, and it being a dead os, well, not entirely, see, here in the uk, the gov is paying microsoft to continue with updates for xp. Personally, I never use internet explorer, and un-install it in it's entirety upon installation of said os.. firefox or palemoon, and even these make me wanna puke, so overbloated I wonder why they dont just go back to the origional version, since most anti virus's will pick up any malware/virus's before they do damage.. imagine.. windows 98se.. now there's a lesson on how to get rid of a decent os..

As for linux, haha.. it's a mess.. every possible key combo recorded on a 64 key keyboard before initial release.. now what does this mean I wonder.. hey, it's in the chip.. anything you think you can do on linux was recorded before linux was a viable system.

I am an audio engineer, and have xp, linux (backtrack), and 98se on seperate hard-disks, and simply choose which os to boot from using the f12 key, nae feckin aboot..

But I see no reason to move to an os that requires twice the memory for less than half the performance..

And I never save material made by me online Wink

And I just dumped bitcoin.

Fuck all this update crap.. go plant a tree time..
Dabs
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 02:19:48 AM

I have Win98SE too. And for some reason, I've keep MSDOS 6.22 (and Win 3.11).. I've lost my Win 95. Have 2000 somewhere in one of these hard drives at work.

Regardless of OS, you should be fine if it sits behind a modern firewall or router. Nothing from outside will get in. (Not easily anyway.)

My little factory has 20 desktops with XP. The network is more-or-less isolated from the internet.

Decksperiment (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 11:44:24 AM

I stick with what I call audio OS, or OS's that you can load a plethora of softsynths in without lag etc.. win98se in my opinion is the best audio video OS ever, shame they had to fuck it by adding the ntfs..

And many win98se audio applications are simply the best, fuck all this cloud shit where you store your saved work on someone else's computer.. most dont realise tiat this act gives them your rights to your music, as they recorded (stored) it for you, first, by the simple act of you clickin save.
Miitch

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 02:03:33 PM

I'm with the OP. What on earth are the devs doing???

▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇   COIN-SWEEPER
▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇    Avoid Bombs Win BIG
▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇   1% House Edge   ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: