Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:23:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What if the spike is Sonny and Josh hiding their dollars?  (Read 1202 times)
sgbett (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 09:08:19 PM

Just a crazy idea that hit me out of left field. Sorry about that. I'll get my coat.

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 09:10:31 PM

well done.  we've gotten so used to the "dumping their Bitcoin" meme that maybe we've forgotten we're on the verge of a new paradigm.
bassclef

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 09:10:53 PM

Not unlikely considering Sonny's sordid past, and his ability to hide money from the feds. This + Paypal news + BFL being shut down is a quite a bullish storm, though.
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 09:11:56 PM

Of course they are.. Just like Ross Ulbricht, Mark Karples and Trendon Shavers.

This is BTC we're talking about.

LMAO

Grin
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 09:12:29 PM

Cheesy

USD market is so sprawling and cash so easy to lose, nobody's able to really account for that kind of stuff. Idunno which company holds the largest USD reserves, but I'd be surprised if it didn't make Satoshi's stash in USD FMV look like peanuts... and they can dump that on the market whenever they want...!
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3556
Merit: 5041

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 09:16:12 PM

If so they would be stupid to use bitcoin, still traceable.  

Maybe one of the dozen or so anon coins?  Monero, anyone?  lol
bassclef

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 09:22:15 PM

Maybe one of the dozen or so anon coins?  Monero, anyone?  lol

You could send btc to btc-e, buy ltc, buy btc again, transfer to new address. Good luck tracing that.
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1009

Ad maiora!

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 09:51:49 PM

I'm sure they have been expecting this day and already have their tumbled coins stashed where no one will ever find. I want to see bfl josh hand the court one twenty five cent piece when they order him to pay up. Lawl!!!
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 10:07:26 PM

You could send btc to btc-e, buy ltc, buy btc again, transfer to new address. Good luck tracing that.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 10:12:44 PM

Unless I'm mistaken, BTC-e is at least slightly concerned with operating within government laws and probably has information a government bureaucracy would find very interesting and which is reported straight to government agencies regularly and without a warrant. The whole process needs to be stricken and rewritten. ETA: -Errr, or maybe I'm wrong. I forget everywhere is not the US and I'm unsure if BTC-e even serves US customers while also being unsure of which governments claim jurisdiction over them and what those relevant laws'd be.
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 10:57:40 PM

Unless I'm mistaken, BTC-e is at least slightly concerned with operating within government laws and probably has information a government bureaucracy would find very interesting and which is reported straight to government agencies regularly and without a warrant. The whole process needs to be stricken and rewritten. ETA: -Errr, or maybe I'm wrong. I forget everywhere is not the US and I'm unsure if BTC-e even serves US customers while also being unsure of which governments claim jurisdiction over them and what those relevant laws'd be.

I do no have account at BTC-e.
IFAIK
a) you do not have to KYC/AML if you are only using cryptocurrency (no bank transfers) ... you can have anonymous account.
b) you do not have to buy ltc, buy btc again in case you are mixing bitcoins. => It is same without selling and buying back. (does not mean perfect anonymity)
An amorous cow-herder

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 07:46:03 PM

Just a crazy idea that hit me out of left field. Sorry about that. I'll get my coat.
If it comforts you. You werent the only one asking yourself that question.
bassclef

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 08:49:48 PM

I do no have account at BTC-e.
IFAIK
a) you do not have to KYC/AML if you are only using cryptocurrency (no bank transfers) ... you can have anonymous account.
b) you do not have to buy ltc, buy btc again in case you are mixing bitcoins. => It is same without selling and buying back. (does not mean perfect anonymity)

I thought it might add an extra layer of plausible deniability "just in case." But no, not completely necessary. In the future, if crypto continues to gain value, early adopters might be a target for tax authorities. And anyone posting here, now, counts as an early adopter. Can't be too careful.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: