Bitcoin Forum
September 22, 2024, 04:17:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help for setting up remittance to family in Tamale Ghana  (Read 832 times)
nederhoed (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2014, 01:54:30 PM

Hi there,

some years ago I stayed with a family in Tamale, Ghana. Recently I've found out they have a hard time paying the tuition fees for the children in the family. My intention is to support them a bit financially by paying part of the school fees.

Of course I want to send them the money in bitcoins directly.

Some hurdles:
  • There are no buyers and sellers on localbitcoin.
  • There are no startups in the region accepting bitcoins.
  • The family does not have a smart phone or internet, there is an internet cafe nearby which they use.

How should I proceed? I would like to use this opportunity to help them, while using the strengths of Bitcoin.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated!
Tyger

Activity: 141
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 04:09:43 PM

They can or you can create an online wallet for them so they can acces it but i dont know a way for the btc to get converted to money over there.
h0lybyte

Activity: 924
Merit: 511

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 06:54:02 PM

What you need to do is find merchants / companies in the area that are willing to work with you (in terms of accepting BTC).
See if you can find a computer store / repair shop in the closest city and work something out with them.

From there, you can move forward with what you need to get done.

Local presence is a must, its too complicated for a family that lacks resources (as well) and infrastructure.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 10:34:52 PM

Thanks for providing a real example of using BTC in a poor country. There are many people dreaming about it on this forum, but you explain how difficult it is. You need to find someone trustworthy to exchange BTC against local Ghana cash, and he may ask for a 10% cut!

Wish you luck! Your best chance would be that your family in Ghana finds an American or an European who knows BTC already.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: