Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:29:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't import private keys  (Read 2233 times)
CC23 (OP)

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 07:01:15 PM

I'm trying to switch from bitcoin-qt to Electrum because my hdd has a headache about the blockchain size. However, I want to keep using some of my old adresses, so I want to import my previous private keys. Unfortunately I didn't succeed ("unable to import private key" or similar). A Google search told me that this would happen when one tried to import private keys into a seedless wallet. The wallet has a seed, however. What now?

I will answer your Geology questions! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=864879
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 01:58:42 AM

I'm trying to switch from bitcoin-qt to Electrum because my hdd has a headache about the blockchain size. However, I want to keep using some of my old adresses, so I want to import my previous private keys. Unfortunately I didn't succeed ("unable to import private key" or similar). A Google search told me that this would happen when one tried to import private keys into a seedless wallet. The wallet has a seed, however. What now?

it's a bad idea.  you can import into electrum but those imported address/key pairs are NOT derived from seed and therefore are not recoverable from seed.  better to just use new addresses if you can. 

CC23 (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 07:51:52 AM

I know that. I have backups of my old keys. For different reasons I want them to stay usable without having to keep bitcoin-qt around.

I will answer your Geology questions! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=864879
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 11:53:52 AM

I know that. I have backups of my old keys. For different reasons I want them to stay usable without having to keep bitcoin-qt around.

electrum allows it.  did you try it?

dabura667

Activity: 475
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 04:24:07 PM

Code:
L1aoTZvbtsZBZbtBDhKT8b16FkVswG3CugvjbGh3fjwtCerRxtWP

Make sure your private key looks like this.

If you have something before or after it, delete the unnecessary text and try again.

You can import multiple keys at once by adding a line break between keys (no commas or anything)

ex.

Code:
L1aoTZvbtsZBZbtBDhKT8b16FkVswG3CugvjbGh3fjwtCerRxtWP
L5PAvzsVw4iDb15kTH4wL5Q7VPrRMAZyVrkSaSqRrtYCqGbBepwN
KymHFf9W58MWhhZugq5CFnHhnis77UHZFBHVHwME6rviGafWd8uP
Ky9iTsLDDkGXG68cq6Ws99qMRzD5bDFms7HiCjL9VCLJ11t76h7k

My Tip Address:
1DXcHTJS2DJ3xDoxw22wCt11FeAsgfzdBU
CC23 (OP)

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 08:08:45 AM

I just tried again to make sure this was what I was doing. I can confirm that it doesn't work. "The following inputs could not be imported: [privkey here]" is the error message.

...I remember having read somewhere that in order to correctly show old transactions you need to connect to a "full server" or something along those lines, does this have to do with that?

BlueBitAUT

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 12:07:01 PM
Last edit: September 26, 2014, 01:31:14 PM by BlueBitAUT

Hi there,

I have had the same troubles, except that I want to import a Mycelium Wallet into Electrum (running on Ubuntu).

I do have the decrypted private Key (xEncEXIChxz.....) and the compressed one (Kxyxf9TEBgz.....)

Using the built in console with "importprivkey" isn't working for me.
Is any special syntax needed (as the key is compressed Huh )?
Could you maybe give an example to exclude wrong syntax?

fixed: restared the computer (  Roll Eyes ) , logged in to the useraccount, opened the Xterminal (not the included console of Electrum)
electrum importprivkey Kxyandsoonblabla

after (!) that i started the wallet.
done  Tongue
Not sure why it didn't worked the first times, as i tried both consoles.

Thank you!
dabura667

Activity: 475
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 09:50:49 AM

Hi there,

I have had the same troubles, except that I want to import a Mycelium Wallet into Electrum (running on Ubuntu).

I do have the decrypted private Key (xEncEXIChxz.....) and the compressed one (Kxyxf9TEBgz.....)

Using the built in console with "importprivkey" isn't working for me.
Is any special syntax needed (as the key is compressed Huh )?
Could you maybe give an example to exclude wrong syntax?

fixed: restared the computer (  Roll Eyes ) , logged in to the useraccount, opened the Xterminal (not the included console of Electrum)
electrum importprivkey Kxyandsoonblabla

after (!) that i started the wallet.
done  Tongue
Not sure why it didn't worked the first times, as i tried both consoles.

Thank you!

I saw your post in IRC.

You are aware that Ubuntu, just like Mac OS, has its toolbars on the top of the screen, correct?

The "File" "Wallet" ... etc. menus are on the top of your Ubuntu's desktop, NOT on the top of the window itself. (You, of course, must have Electrum open as the active window when you click on the top for the menu to show up.

Let me guess, Windows user?

My Tip Address:
1DXcHTJS2DJ3xDoxw22wCt11FeAsgfzdBU
BlueBitAUT

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 11:15:54 AM

Hi there,

Thank you!

I saw your post in IRC.

You are aware that Ubuntu, just like Mac OS, has its toolbars on the top of the screen, correct?

The "File" "Wallet" ... etc. menus are on the top of your Ubuntu's desktop, NOT on the top of the window itself. (You, of course, must have Electrum open as the active window when you click on the top for the menu to show up.

Let me guess, Windows user?

Mhh... Looks like it's time for a facepalm ...  Roll Eyes Grin Tongue
"Windows User" most of the time, yes. But I know/knew where the Toolbars usually are ... usually.
I think, I was just to "focussed" on my problem at that moment, anyhow...  Tongue

Whatever, solved (at least for me).

Maybe we can try to help OP any further? Do you have successfully imported your keys?
CC23 (OP)

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 11:47:15 AM

I have! Thanks for the command line trick, that one worked. Interesting though, it should be the exact same process when using the GUI. Is the developer reading here?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: