Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:53:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Some one is sending me BTC 0.00000001 , Why?  (Read 6739 times)
awesome31312

Activity: 826
Merit: 504

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 11:28:04 PM

I got the spam 0.0001 BTC from one of the ponzi service recently, much better than the one satoshi I got as well the other day. It is just advertisement spam, at least I used the 0.0001 for a fee already.

laxotrade right?

Account recovered 08-12-2019

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
The 4ner
aka newbitcoinqtuser

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 11:28:10 PM

Apparently what these fuckwits are doing is watching all the bitcoin transactions as they stream out over the blockchain, picking up the (working) addresses and then sending their stupid spam to 'em in 0.000000001 transactions.

It's supremely annoying to me just 'cuz in my main wallets I try to keep WHOLE bitcoins in balance, only moving money into a "working" wallet for sending and receiving lesser amounts.  This helps me keep track of actual balances in my head, so I'll notice if something's amiss right away.

But now that's all cluttered up with this fucking SPAM DUST, and sometimes these transactions don't confirm so the single satoshi eventually disappears BUT sometimes apparently the transaction DOES confirm, so then that satoshi is permanent.

I dunno what a solution to this might be, but seems to me that bitcoin itself needs to have some feature for the receiver of money to actively REFUSE it, sometimes, if he doesn't want it!!

The way it is right now, anyone can "force their will" on you, pushing info (yes, even if it is "money") into your wallet, and you can't do a damn thing about it??

That kind of sucks  Angry

But I'm not sure how to go about suggesting new features for bitcoin: anyone know?

Also what do y'all think might be the possible implications of a feature like this, i.e. to actively REFUSE to receive a transaction?

Any apparent downside, like could there be some way that this might possibly be mis-used by bad guys to steal money out of people's wallets???

Ideas???

Brilliant idea! I suggest we express our concern to the Bitcoin Foundation since a few of their members are directly involved in the maintanence of the Bitcoin-Qt app that most all of us use.
mezmerizer9

Activity: 782
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 01:49:10 AM

Some is sending me 0.00000001 BTC from 1LaEZpke8tv18YrsrVbg1ZDxkwAogM7AdU
https://blockchain.info/address/1LaEZpke8tv18YrsrVbg1ZDxkwAogM7AdU
Is anyone trying to hack my wallet?

It's akind of a stupid and cheap advertisement, spamming lots of addresses, I think I've got them too.

███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████?7?3████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[D]ecentralized application
[E]liminated third parties
[C]ontent distribution       

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation 

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 07:01:51 AM

Brilliant idea! I suggest we express our concern to the Bitcoin Foundation since a few of their members are directly involved in the maintanence of the Bitcoin-Qt app that most all of us use.

Thanks... but I'd say it's just kinda obvious, isn't it?  Not 'brilliant' LOL

Still not sure if there'd be some downside or disadvantage to this however. Have to tread lightly when it comes to changing bitcoin!

And, actually, now that I think of it more, seems to me that maybe this doesn't have to be a feature of the core bitcoin software but rather just a function of the particular WALLET application.

What I mean is, there actually already DOES appear to be an available function for this in bitcoin itself, i.e. whatever command or function is called when these transactions sometimes, eventually, "time out" and are reversed and disappear from the wallet history...? 

IF the wallet software could just have a feature to instantly trigger THAT somehow (maybe hidden in some 'advanced' tab) perhaps that'd be enough?

Any wallet programmers out there listening? Hello....? blockchain.info or Electrum guys or ? Huh

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
TookDk
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062

One coin to rule them all

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2014, 07:13:54 AM

I dunno what a solution to this might be, but seems to me that bitcoin itself needs to have some feature for the receiver of money to actively REFUSE it, sometimes, if he doesn't want it!!

There is no way you can refuse a input to your wallet.
When a transaction is confirmed then is it final.

Cryptography is one of the few things you can truly trust.
FragCakes8

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 07:51:29 AM

This is nothing but just a method of advertising. You have no need to be tense. I think your wallet is safe.
KeyJockey

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 08:00:35 AM

Okay, I realize that: but as long as someone was to catch these stupid spams before they confirm, wouldn't it be possible to somehow CANCEL them this way...?

What else would YOU propose as a method to stop this bullshit, one-satoshi spam-dust crap? Huh

Does it really seem "right" to you, that anyone can just push anything they like into your wallet, against your will?

This whole situation still seems, to me, like a small flaw in bitcoin's overall design... which should be fixed (or at least improved somewhat).

TookDk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2014, 08:58:29 AM
Last edit: September 25, 2014, 12:09:44 PM by TookDk

Okay, I realize that: but as long as someone was to catch these stupid spams before they confirm, wouldn't it be possible to somehow CANCEL them this way...?

What else would YOU propose as a method to stop this bullshit, one-satoshi spam-dust crap? Huh

Does it really seem "right" to you, that anyone can just push anything they like into your wallet, against your will?

This whole situation still seems, to me, like a small flaw in bitcoin's overall design... which should be fixed (or at least improved somewhat).

I do agree with you that the unconfirmed dust in your wallet is a bit annoying.

The technical part of the problem
was addressed in Bitcoin Core 0.9.0 (if I remember right).
With older version of the core, could the unconfirmed input (the dust we talk about) be used in your current output, and that was a problem in the "bitcoin's overall design", since your output would never be confirmed because the "dust" was never confirmed.

In the new core is only confirmed input allowed in the outputs.
Therefor are we left with a somewhat cosmetic problem, the average user should really not be concern about the blockchain, he/she should be concern about the ballance (confirmed balance).
The unconfirmed input will eventually be dropped and the "dust" will go away.
If the input is so lucky to be confirmed, then will you have received one free satoshi (free money yay!).

I have full understanding about the people that have OCD problems with having 1.00000001 BTC in their wallet, but from a logical point of view is 1.00000001 BTC better to have than 1 BTC.

The important thing is that the "dust" does not prevent you for receiving and transmit "true" transaction.

chanz

Activity: 298
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 11:37:13 AM

I just got a new one from bitgirl.biz before that it's was from laxotrade and BtcSmart.
But apparently we can't do anything about it, can't refuse an incomming transactions so now it
just sits there as another unspent outputs in my wallet.  Undecided

My BTC address : 1KfS1c14Tg2hgQEVz2bCJeFox6FpyYFvM6
oblivi

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 11:38:02 AM

Guys, im new and also got this. Got scared af, quickly searched for forums and found this. Im glad it's somewhat normal. What's the deal tho? From what i've researched, it seems it's someone spamming the blockchain, but for what?
chanz

Activity: 298
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 11:44:39 AM

Guys, im new and also got this. Got scared af, quickly searched for forums and found this. Im glad it's somewhat normal. What's the deal tho? From what i've researched, it seems it's someone spamming the blockchain, but for what?

There's a link with those transactions, tells you where that transactions is comming from. But now they are advertising their shitty websites, some people click on them and even invest on them. These dust transactions serves as advertisements that's all nothing more.

My BTC address : 1KfS1c14Tg2hgQEVz2bCJeFox6FpyYFvM6
awesome31312

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 01:40:14 PM

I just got a new one from bitgirl.biz before that it's was from laxotrade and BtcSmart.
But apparently we can't do anything about it, can't refuse an incomming transactions so now it
just sits there as another unspent outputs in my wallet.  Undecided

I was spammed by the exact same sites

I think we need a Bitcointalk.org spam wallet that operates independently of the wallet with our main funds

KeyJockey

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 02:06:30 PM

I do agree with you that the unconfirmed dust in your wallet is a bit annoying...
The unconfirmed input will eventually be dropped and the "dust" will go away.
If the input is so lucky to be confirmed, then will you have received one free satoshi (free money yay!).

I have full understanding about the people that have OCD problems with having 1.00000001 BTC in their wallet,
but from a logical point of view is 1.00000001 BTC better to have than 1 BTC.

The important thing is that the "dust" does not prevent you for receiving and transmit "true" transaction.

Okay I understand your point but I don't agree that it's just "OCD problems" to be unhappy with receiving this "free money".

Sure if it was at least a whole penny or two, maybe yah then okay I'd take it.  Or IF it was at least 0.0001 so that the spammer was paying for a transaction fee at least!  But at current BTC value, just a single satoshi?  Sorry, nope, don't want this "free money" LOL

Keeping my wallet balances at "whole bitcoin" numbers in CERTAIN wallets that I maintain is NOT just an "OCD thing"... it's a deliberate policy that I follow so that I'm better able to remember how much bitcoin I have stored, and where.

But when these balances keep changing by tiny fractions of eight decimal place numbers it blows the whole system.  When I don't see my expected "whole number" value there I have to go and check to see that something isn't wrong, the wallet wasn't hacked or some transaction wasn't sent incorrectly or the balance got fucked up for some OTHER reason.

It's a big time-waster and a huge annoyance and not just "OCD" problem.

Anyway, what I do now to deal with this is just periodically "clean up" those wallets by collecting the dust into another disposable wallet or something like that, for a dollar or so, and donate it to a charity site.

But it's still annoying and I'd rather just have a way to say NO THANK YOU to certain .00000001 unsolicited spam "Free Money" transactions... BEFORE they're given any chance to confirm... if only that were somehow possible in the wallet's programming.

I still think it'd be a valuable feature for some wallet to implement...

KeyJockey

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 02:15:14 PM

I think we need a Bitcointalk.org spam wallet that operates independently of the wallet with our main funds

That won't help. 

These assholes appear to be screen-scraping "working" wallet addresses by watching transactions flowing across the blockchain.

ANY address you ever USE in any wallet can potentially receive these spam dust transactions.

IF it was just some disposable wallets getting hit, then I wouldn't care either.  But it's fucking annoying that these bits of dust are being forced into my MAIN PRIMARY WALLET ADDRESSES that I deliberately try hard to keep only WHOLE BTC values in, to better keep track of them in memory, and for security & peace of mind in managing all my bitcoin.  (But as I said above, these fucking spammers with their .00000001 nonsense are blowing that system...)

commandrix

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 02:17:09 PM

I got that one Satoshi thing just this morning too. Really it doesn't seem to be good for anything except turning Bitcointalk into a gaggle of geese every time it happens to somebody. If somebody wants to send out single Satoshi, which is basically worth squat right now, it's up to them and in real terms it's nothing that's going to affect my operations one way or the other.
awesome31312

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 02:29:27 PM

That won't help. 

These assholes appear to be screen-scraping "working" wallet addresses by watching transactions flowing across the blockchain.

ANY address you ever USE in any wallet can potentially receive these spam dust transactions.

IF it was just some disposable wallets getting hit, then I wouldn't care either.  But it's fucking annoying that these bits of dust are being forced into my MAIN PRIMARY WALLET ADDRESSES that I deliberately try hard to keep only WHOLE BTC values in, to better keep track of them in memory, and for security & peace of mind in managing all my bitcoin.  (But as I said above, these fucking spammers with their .00000001 nonsense are blowing that system...)

That's a really difficult task, keeping your wallet to whole numbers I mean.

martinnew

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 03:04:29 PM

Cool to receive free coins but hope next time it will be much higher than that.  Tongue
Yeah, how do they trace your address anyway and the new address? weird...
KeyJockey

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 03:18:58 PM

That's a really difficult task, keeping your wallet to whole numbers I mean.

Yeah I know, LOL... and again I don't try to do this on ALL wallets, that'd be insane.  This really ISN'T an "OCD" thing LOL

I'm only annoyed by it when it hits my MAIN hot-storage wallet (and, couple of times happened even to a COLD storage address, which was even more annoying 'cuz I don't plan to *ever* take that money out of there, not at least until BTC is $$$$$$$)

But I guess maybe by then an extra satoshi or two might be worth something, LOL... so, whatever I guess.

Still.  Why the fuck do these idiots DO shit like this?  I can't imagine anyone really ever doing any business with them on the basis of finding these stupid URL links in bitcoin spam.

TookDk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2014, 03:30:09 PM

Sure if it was at least a whole penny or two, maybe yah then okay I'd take it.  Or IF it was at least 0.0001 so that the spammer was paying for a transaction fee at least!  But at current BTC value, just a single satoshi?  Sorry, nope, don't want this "free money" LOL

I got 0.0001 BTC from Laxo trade last night on one of my public known addy, a whole $0.04, at least it will pay my next tx.
https://blockchain.info/tx/ea13b2315888e00b8423d7fc54cc56163c875b59b11f8ee1c821a4219ecac787

Getting one satoshi is annoying, I do agree. However the core principal of bitcoin is based on asymmetric encryption. It is very similar to the system we know from receiving ordinary mail. If someone knows your address then can they send you a letter, no mater if you like it or not. If I knew your home address, then could I send you a letter and you would not be able to prevent me for doing so. The "tx" fee is rather high for sending ordinary letter compared to the 4 cent it cost to make a bitcoin transaction. Increasing the tx fee would definitely limit the "spam", but I think the tx fee is reasonable as it is now (might change my mind in the future about the size of the tx fee).

pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 04:39:22 PM

Is there a way to just block Laxo Trade transactions? this is annoying.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: