Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 12:25:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: US Marines were sent on eve of Scottish referendum  (Read 1115 times)
awesome31312 (OP)

Activity: 826
Merit: 504

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 02:26:36 AM

I figured I should drop this out here, even though I'm a bit late

But since this was not common knowledge, I really should leave this here

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/09/17/not-an-onion-headline-u-s-sends-in-the-marines-on-eve-of-scottish-referendum/

Not an Onion headline: U.S. sends in the Marines on eve of Scottish referendum

Account recovered 08-12-2019
Grand_Voyageur

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

https://dadice.com | Click my signature to join!

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2014, 04:00:19 AM

An article about nothing. What a shame for Washington Post!

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█   ⚂⚄⚀⚃⚅⚁    ██  d a d i c e  ██    Next Generation Dice Game
• Low 1% house edge. • Provably Fair.  
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
BTCmoons

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 04:55:25 AM

This is not entirely surprising. I would not have been surprised if there was rioting in Scottland if they had voted for independence. I believe there would also have been economic chaos if there had been a 'yes' vote
Grand_Voyageur

Activity: 322

https://dadice.com | Click my signature to join!

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2014, 05:38:25 AM

This is not entirely surprising. I would not have been surprised if there was rioting in Scottland if they had voted for independence. I believe there would also have been economic chaos if there had been a 'yes' vote

You really think US Marines would do Law Enforcement on British Isles in such event? LOL. Too much political fallout.
By the while...Scottish people will get the best of two worlds with the actual referendum results: a lot of gains without exceptional economic pain.

█   ⚂⚄⚀⚃⚅⚁    ██  d a d i c e  ██    Next Generation Dice Game
• Low 1% house edge. • Provably Fair.  
awesome31312 (OP)

Activity: 826
Merit: 504

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 01:38:51 PM

You really think US Marines would do Law Enforcement on British Isles in such event? LOL. Too much political fallout.
By the while...Scottish people will get the best of two worlds with the actual referendum results: a lot of gains without exceptional economic pain.

No, BTCmoons may be right. The US government has a terrible habit of policing countries that they have no legislation over.

Account recovered 08-12-2019
picolo

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 09:52:38 PM

Scotland would have benefited of being independent if they didn't go too crazy on the public spending

The young Scotish new that, all age groups have voted YES until 63years old, the old folks voted no because they are afraid and don't want to take risks; english not born in scotland voted when the scotish that live outside of scotland couldn't vote
GrandmaJean

Activity: 280

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 02:03:54 AM

Scotland would have benefited of being independent if they didn't go too crazy on the public spending

The young Scotish new that, all age groups have voted YES until 63years old, the old folks voted no because they are afraid and don't want to take risks; english not born in scotland voted when the scotish that live outside of scotland couldn't vote
The pro-yes crowd were advocating increasing public spending. If they had voted "yes" then the same people would vote for people that would see that public spending and welfare would increase.

While your argument is technically correct, it does not fall under a realistic potential outcome of the election.
DhaniBoy

Activity: 280

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 07:22:25 AM

I wonder, why for all the American domestic political affairs always meddling, there is always the political interests behind the American presence in the domestic politics of other countries, America has always put his spies in other countries, it aims to anticipate the movements that will threaten American foreign policy, or threaten American interests in the assets and the country ...
Hopefully other countries can deal with their domestic politics, without any interference of other countries ...  Tongue

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
RitzBitzz

Activity: 331

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 11:09:34 PM

I think most great powers have messed with other peoples affairs its just that everyone is jumping on the lets hate the U.S bandwagon.
Gronthaing
Legendary

Activity: 1135
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 07:52:43 AM

I think most great powers have messed with other peoples affairs its just that everyone is jumping on the lets hate the U.S bandwagon.

Yes, obviously they have. It's just that the US is the current super power, so its them doing most of the messing with other people's affairs. No one likes that of course, and that's why all the hate.

Anyway, I didn't know about the Marines having been sent. I imagine they would have been used in the event of independence to secure some areas or installations the US considered important. Not so much in a policing or occupying role.
newflesh

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 09:12:42 AM

I'd imagine it's something to do with the uncertainty of the nuclear defence base at Faslane, I think most (if not all) of the UK's nuclear subs are based there and there were talks of sending the nukes to the US if Scotland had voted for independence.
Inmydomain

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 03:34:32 PM

Some people will believe anything they read, why would the U.S. need to get involved in Scotland the fallout would be immense. Even if it was to do with the nuclear subs the UK government would be more than capable of securing those assets

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: