Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 10:00:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who are the buyers of coins?  (Read 1490 times)
mvalley (OP)

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 03:56:59 AM

I was thinking earlier about who really is going to be buying a lot of coins in the future to pump up the price. When I consider things, there actually are a lot of people selling in large quantities everyday.

Sellers:
1) People who acquired BTC cheaply early on an want to dump for huge gains
2) Miners usually need to sell to cover electricity and such. I believe the majority of recently mined coins are sold quickly.
3) When people buy on tiger direct or what not, the BTC is instantly sold for USD

Buyers:
1) Traders/Speculators
2) Dice gamblers
3) Miners who can buy equipment in btc

Help me think of who else is buying up a lot of coins on the regular.

LATOKEN  ●  TRADE REAL ASSETS IN CRYPTO  ●  JOIN ICO NOW
SLACK  |  TELEGRAM
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
damnek

Activity: 614
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 04:00:17 AM

Buyers:
4) People covering their shorts
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2014, 04:04:51 AM

altcoin Speculators
poeple that want to send money to friends and family overseas without any fees.
people whose governments / banks devalue their currency at alarming rates.
hedge funds
me!

mvalley (OP)

Activity: 129

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 04:38:44 AM

Lol, my BTCUSD holdings have been devalued at an alarming rate recently Smiley

Hopefully that changes soon.

LATOKEN  ●  TRADE REAL ASSETS IN CRYPTO  ●  JOIN ICO NOW
SLACK  |  TELEGRAM
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Yololintian

Activity: 293
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 05:00:28 AM

That is the main issue at the moment. There are no significant buyers, and not much new money is coming into the bitcoin market; however selling pressure is at least constant from miners, if not increasing lately due to a lack of confidence on the part of bitcoin investors/speculators/early adopters. The bitcoin market is really being guided by one of the simplest economic principals: supply and demand; supply is just much greater than demand at the moment, so the price will continue to go down. Also, the people who really have to cover are the longs, not the shorts, as leveraged long positions still far outweigh short positions.

I hope these conditions do not change for a while, and so should you. If you believe in the long term success and proliferation of bitcoin as a currency and payment platform, you should welcome this bear market. It allows you to accumulate far more bitcoins than you could have if we were going to the moon right now. I suspect that low prices now will have very little impact on the high prices in the long term, or new ATHs, so why not enjoy cheap coins while they last and try to accumulate as much as possible in the medium term.

The only people who should worry right now are those that really took too much risk on the long side, and are bagholding highly leveraged long positions in the red. Anyhow, I'm glad they did what they did, because it only means lower prices once we break 340 and all of the longs are in the red. For everyone else, getting to 200s and 300s will be a dream come true. We can double our bitcoin positions when that happens, and make far more money during the next major rally.
Hunyadi
Legendary

Activity: 1281
Merit: 1000

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 05:11:33 AM

There are no significant buyers, and not much new money is coming into the bitcoin market

Are you sure?

Hint: Big buyers don't necessarily use exchanges.

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░B**-Cultist░▒▓█▇▅▃▂
Bulletin

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 05:19:14 AM

Most likely all the mentioned persons, but mostly investors/speculators.
hodlmybtc

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2014, 05:22:07 AM

I'm buying every BTC I can whenever I have fiat and the price is still under $500 for sure.

I'd feel scared with a lot of fiat toilet papers at the moment, rather have most of my money in BTC.

If you don't have your money in BTC and the price would increase 10x during a massive rally you could have 10x the purchasing power of the amount you put in to BTC.

Think about the likelyhood of this happening or BTC dieing, with all the insane good news we got the last couple of months, especially now with the Paypal announcement there is only one way to go and that is up in my opinion.

However I sincerely hope the price will stay this low for a while or even drop a little bit so I can scoop up some more coins before we might be leaving the 3 digit realm for good.
Yololintian

Activity: 293

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 06:44:29 AM

There are no significant buyers, and not much new money is coming into the bitcoin market

Are you sure?

Yes, I am confident that right now, there is very little buying pressure on exchanges or OTC. If there is buying pressure on OTC, the price rises there, and then OTC buyers will compete and as the price rises, some of them will decide to use exchanges because it will be cheaper there. I would think that OTC transactions probably are generally at lower than exchange price by a small percentage right now. But this could easily switch; since OTC transactions have the benefit of no slippage and high volume, buyers will also decide to pay a premium if demand is high. Yet, if the premium becomes too high, some OTC buyers will switch to exchanges, taking a little more counterparty risk and possible slippage problems, because the lower price benefit will be greater. The result would be higher prices on exchanges. It is possible that OTC coins are going at a slight premium right now, but its not enough to raise the prices on exchanges. To me that means it is not significant.

This is not to say there is not fiat waiting on the sidelines for lower prices. We can even see a lot of evidence of this on the bitfinex's orderbook. Smart money will wait very very patiently for a major capitulation. Any hints that the bear market is not over yet, and they will smartly wait longer.
giorgiotheclown

Activity: 168

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2014, 06:47:32 AM

only idiots buying now coins before the big crash...

the party is over...

http://kryptonews.blogspot.ch/2014/07/bitminech-sticht-in-die-hohe-see-hinaus.html 1 empty duff beer can and 3 zywiec bottle caps 9.99 BTC + pic https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=658825.0 ~Bruno Kucinskas -> youtube.com/watch?v=iO-EGJhdx4U
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 06:52:09 AM

Sellers:
4) People that bought with money they couldn't afford to lose and pussied out Smiley

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
Hunyadi
Legendary

Activity: 1281
Merit: 1000

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 06:55:29 AM

Are you sure?

Yes, I am confident that right now, there is very little buying pressure on exchanges or OTC. If there is buying pressure on OTC, the price rises there, and then OTC buyers will compete and as the price rises, some of them will decide to use exchanges because it will be cheaper there. I would think that OTC transactions probably are generally at lower than exchange price by a small percentage right now. But this could easily switch; since OTC transactions have the benefit of no slippage and high volume, buyers will also decide to pay a premium if demand is high. Yet, if the premium becomes too high, some OTC buyers will switch to exchanges, taking a little more counterparty risk and possible slippage problems, because the lower price benefit will be greater. The result would be higher prices on exchanges. It is possible that OTC coins are going at a slight premium right now, but its not enough to raise the prices on exchanges. To me that means it is not significant.

This is not to say there is not fiat waiting on the sidelines for lower prices. We can even see a lot of evidence of this on the bitfinex's orderbook. Smart money will wait very very patiently for a major capitulation. Any hints that the bear market is not over yet, and they will smartly wait longer.

You don't think that for example the Bitstamp's price is the reference price used in (big) OTC deals, and there could be downward manipulation in exchanges because of that? Or is it just that there is no demand, and GABI, BIT, Paypal etc. have just made very bad decision to be involved with bitcoin? Every noob knows bitcoin is doomed  Grin Roll Eyes

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░B**-Cultist░▒▓█▇▅▃▂
OrientA

Activity: 462

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 08:53:37 AM

Lol, my BTCUSD holdings have been devalued at an alarming rate recently Smiley

Hopefully that changes soon.

It will change soon if past history could be a guide.
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 09:12:49 AM

Everyone who believes that bitcoin is undervalued because people don't really care about bitcoin atm.
Like they didn't care about the internet back in the 90s...
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 09:26:46 AM

Everyone who believes that bitcoin is undervalued because people don't really care about bitcoin atm.

I didn't care about sending text messages (e-mail) to my fellow students on the University network either. That changed.

Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 09:36:19 AM

Surprising thing is the Internet was very popular in the late 90s.  PayPal didn't exist, using eBay was a pain because you had to wire money manually, and online banking was virtually unheard of, but the concept of looking up information, online gaming, and ordering products online from merchants using credit card was already well established.

Remember the dotcom boom exploded in March 2000 so pretty much everything up to that point in the mania cycle happened in the 90s.
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 09:46:46 AM

The late 90's. My first email experiences were around 1995 (Pegasus). Internet access at home only started in 1998 for me with about 100k connections in the Netherlands. Perhaps others were connected sooner, but the big boom was the late '90s, not before.

trizma

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2014, 09:47:39 AM

People who have no other way to save their money and are assured that their governments can't interfere with their money through inflation.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 09:49:47 AM

The late 90's. My first email experiences were around 1995 (Pegasus). Internet access at home only started in 1998 for me with about 100k connections in the Netherlands. Perhaps others were connected sooner, but the big boom was the late '90s, not before.

was using email in 1991, it was pretty widespread in universities at that time.

i am satoshi
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 09:51:56 AM

people who dumped at higher price
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: