Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:18:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Buy and sell bitcoins -- or mine and sell. What one is better?  (Read 1034 times)
David_Benz (OP)
Donator

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

you got hacked bitch!

View Profile
May 04, 2012, 11:09:48 PM

I find that it is rather expensive to mine bitcoins.  Best deal I can find is 600 dollars to get 832 mhash (with waiting 4 months to get the item) or pay a crazy amount of money for a rig that does not suck up 1000 dollars a month power.

I also find that I can buy bitcoins from an exchange and sell them on eBay for much more.

Why do people even mine?

Thanks, just a newbie trying to learn.  This bitcoin stuff is amazing.

I am the Bitcoinica Hacker.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 12:59:33 AM

Because if you live somewhere where electricity is cheap, then mining is profitable. Mining bitcoins in an area where electricity is expensive makes about as much sense as growing bananas in the desert, and in that case you're better of buying your bitcoins (and bananas) from someone who can produce them cheaper than you can. People wanting something that they can't produce as cheaply or as easily as someone else is pretty much the whole reason trade exists.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
David_Benz (OP)
Donator

you got hacked bitch!

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 01:48:12 AM

Because if you live somewhere where electricity is cheap, then mining is profitable. Mining bitcoins in an area where electricity is expensive makes about as much sense as growing bananas in the desert, and in that case you're better of buying your bitcoins (and bananas) from someone who can produce them cheaper than you can. People wanting something that they can't produce as cheaply or as easily as someone else is pretty much the whole reason trade exists.

What is considered 'cheap' electricity? 

Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 01:55:36 AM

Electricity that costs less than the value of the bitcoins produced from it (the exact break-even point varies a lot depending on the efficiency of your mining rig).

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
David_Benz (OP)
Donator

you got hacked bitch!

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 01:58:51 AM

Electricity that costs less than the value of the bitcoins produced from it (the exact break-even point varies a lot depending on the efficiency of your mining rig).

My rate is 6 cents per kwh ... is that good?

Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 03:21:03 AM

That's very good. At that rate, you'd need a hashing efficiency at least 0.42 Mhash/J to be profitable (without taking into account the capital cost of your hardware), which you can get from any high-end ATI card. It makes me wonder why you're complaining about how expensive it is.

See also:
Bitcoin mining profitability calculator
Mining hardware comparison

David_Benz (OP)
Donator

you got hacked bitch!

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 03:31:29 AM

That's very good. At that rate, you'd need a hashing efficiency at least 0.42 Mhash/J to be profitable (without taking into account the capital cost of your hardware), which you can get from any high-end ATI card. It makes me wonder why you're complaining about how expensive it is.

See also:
Bitcoin mining profitability calculator
Mining hardware comparison

Interesting stuff.  Thank you.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: