Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 01:32:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL shut down by FTC today?  (Read 2797 times)
TooDumbForBitcoin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 05:59:42 PM

Anybody believe this?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=150803.msg8891220#msg8891220

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 06:02:12 PM

The first thing I would have closed, if I were the FTC, would have been their online presence. Sounds like bullshit, possibly just to talk of BFL.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
leannemckim46

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 09:51:46 PM

The first thing I would have closed, if I were the FTC, would have been their online presence. Sounds like bullshit, possibly just to talk of BFL.
They were probably looking for documents related to some kind of fraud. The FTC generally does not have the authority to shut down a business, however they can make it effectively the only decision the business owners can make.

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
RISE
Thai

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 12:56:24 AM

I keep an alert for Butterfly Labs on Twitter and Google Alerts; so far, most of the reports are unconfirmed. I'm definitely interested in the developments. Their telephone number (1-800-809-MINE) is always on constant voicemail. They are obviously too hard at work building miners (not).
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 09:12:45 AM

They were probably looking for documents related to some kind of fraud. The FTC generally does not have the authority to shut down a business, however they can make it effectively the only decision the business owners can make.
The amount of details the supposedly two ex employees are using in that thread, and the complete lack of refutation from BFL, makes me think that this could be true... With the alternative still being a conspiracy from BFL to troll us all.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
leannemckim46

Activity: 420

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 02:04:47 AM

The amount of details the supposedly two ex employees are using in that thread, and the complete lack of refutation from BFL, makes me think that this could be true... With the alternative still being a conspiracy from BFL to troll us all.
I would somewhat doubt that BFL is trying to troll us as if they were not raided by the FTC they would still be in business and I don't see any scenarios in which trolling would be good for business

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
RISE
bigasic

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 03:29:55 AM

Like I said in another thread. I believe "something" happened. Did they get raided, took all their computers, etc? no. but something definitely happened, like the FTC came in with a warrant and searched for whatever they are looking for to build their case. I believe BFL is business as usual. But that will probably change when they start issuing summons..

If nothing happened. Josh, inababa, whatever, or the other bfl trolls would be here saying that we are full of shit.. Thats not happening, thats why I think something happened, just not as bad as the first report made it seem.
HELP.org

Activity: 510
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2014, 01:01:55 AM
Last edit: September 22, 2014, 01:52:23 AM by HELP.org

Like I said in another thread. I believe "something" happened. Did they get raided, took all their computers, etc? no. but something definitely happened, like the FTC came in with a warrant and searched for whatever they are looking for to build their case. I believe BFL is business as usual. But that will probably change when they start issuing summons..

If nothing happened. Josh, inababa, whatever, or the other bfl trolls would be here saying that we are full of shit.. Thats not happening, thats why I think something happened, just not as bad as the first report made it seem.

I don't believe the FTC has any agents.  They are a bunch of lawyers enforcing "unfair trade practices" and they normally go to court and get injunctions, orders, and fines.  Their actions are listed at http://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-proceedings.  I believe if there is criminal conduct that need agents they refer it to other agencies to take criminal enforcement.  

I found it, the FTC criminal liaison unit works with other agencies if agents are needed:
http://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/criminal-liaison-unit

Certified Bitcoin Professional
Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!
snappa4ever

Activity: 374

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 02:00:46 AM

I don't believe the FTC has any agents.  They are a bunch of lawyers enforcing "unfair trade practices" and they normally go to court and get injunctions, orders, and fines.  Their actions are listed at http://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-proceedings.  I believe if there is criminal conduct that need agents they refer it to other agencies to take criminal enforcement.  

I found it, the FTC criminal liaison unit works with other agencies if agents are needed:
All federal agencies have "agents" that have the authority to arrest (when legal to do so). There have been instances of people's homes getting raided by the EPA because they were breaking some very vague regulation regarding dumping in the water. In the EPA's case the "agents" came armed with automatic weapons full body armor and shields - the suspects were not armed nor were they suspected of any kind of violent crime.

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
RISE
HELP.org

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2014, 02:15:04 AM

All federal agencies have "agents" that have the authority to arrest (when legal to do so).

No, all agencies do not have armed agents.  Here is the list that do:
http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fleo08.pdf

Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!
HELP.org

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2014, 05:39:58 PM

Looks like the FTC filed a civil suit and they did a liaison with Kansas to send in agents.

Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2014, 06:48:10 PM
Last edit: September 23, 2014, 07:05:25 PM by Dalkore

Link:  http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/09/feds-label-bitcoin-miner-maker-butterfly-labs-as-systematic-deception/

All the warning signs were there but they did produce two chips so it was really hard to tell.

Complaint dated 09/15/2014:
  https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1303732-5.html

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2014, 06:38:09 PM

Goto their website and see the official notice.

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
BitWrit

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 09:51:57 PM

FTC was answering questions on twitter about BFL @FTC. Scroll down to sept 23rd to see the questions/responses.
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 03:12:37 AM

any opinion on what would happen next?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=150803.8120

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: