Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:27:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Selling Assembled PirateBoxes at Cost + 3 BTC  (Read 1994 times)
lulzplzkthx (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2012, 12:57:52 AM

Inspired by this post, I feel like PirateBoxes are probably right up this community's ally.

If you don't know what a PirateBox is, here is a description from PirateBox themselves: "PirateBox is a self-contained mobile communication and file sharing device. Inspired by pirate radio and the free culture movement, PirateBox utilizes Free, Libre and Open Source software (FLOSS) to create mobile wireless file sharing networks where users can anonymously chat and share images, video, audio, documents, and other digital content. "

You can make your own via any of these guides. I am here only to try to make this process more convenient for you.

I'm saving money for a new laptop as I'm currently stuck on a Pentium 3 with one USB 1.0 port, can barely watch Netflix (frequently can't), and can't do much of anything. Any proceeds from this are going pretty much directly into helping me buy a new laptop so I can do more Cool Stuff again.

Basically, as was done in that post, you buy the parts (preferably TP-Link MR3020 or TP-Link TL-WR703N for the router, if you buy another one, I can't guarantee it'll be supported by OpenWrt, so make sure before you choose one): the router that is supported by OpenWrt and a USB drive (will dictate how much storage is on your PirateBox.)

You should have these shipped directly to me for the most cost-effective method. I will send you my address via PM. Please don't be a new or sketchy user on this forum, or I will not be comfortable giving you my address.

Once this has been completed, I will ship you the configured PirateBox (you will pay for this too. Unsure of how much shipping costs as it probably will vary by location. Please keep this in mind.)

Upon receiving your brand new PirateBox and ensuring it works, you will send me 3 BTC.

Please have some sort of reputation or a Bitcoin-OTC account so I know you aren't going to scam me.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 01:17:44 AM

Inspired by this post, I feel like PirateBoxes are probably right up this community's ally.

If you don't know what a PirateBox is, here is a description from PirateBox themselves: "PirateBox is a self-contained mobile communication and file sharing device. Inspired by pirate radio and the free culture movement, PirateBox utilizes Free, Libre and Open Source software (FLOSS) to create mobile wireless file sharing networks where users can anonymously chat and share images, video, audio, documents, and other digital content. "

You can make your own via any of these guides. I am here only to try to make this process more convenient for you.

I'm saving money for a new laptop as I'm currently stuck on a Pentium 3 with one USB 1.0 port, can barely watch Netflix (frequently can't), and can't do much of anything. Any proceeds from this are going pretty much directly into helping me buy a new laptop so I can do more Cool Stuff again.

Basically, as was done in that post, you buy the parts (preferably TP-Link MR3020 or TP-Link TL-WR703N for the router, if you buy another one, I can't guarantee it'll be supported by OpenWrt, so make sure before you choose one): the router that is supported by OpenWrt and a USB drive (will dictate how much storage is on your PirateBox.)

You should have these shipped directly to me for the most cost-effective method. I will send you my address via PM. Please don't be a new or sketchy user on this forum, or I will not be comfortable giving you my address.

Once this has been completed, I will ship you the configured PirateBox (you will pay for this too. Unsure of how much shipping costs as it probably will vary by location. Please keep this in mind.)

Upon receiving your brand new PirateBox and ensuring it works, you will send me 3 BTC.

Please have some sort of reputation or a Bitcoin-OTC account so I know you aren't going to scam me.
Can we pay you obtain the router too? I might like to get one, but I don't feel like shopping around for the right router. Whatever you get, make sure it is very portable and has tons of flash + cpu etc.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 01:22:41 AM

You stolted my business brah!

This is weird how similar we are though...

I'm 16 years old, and got into Bitcoin when I was 15 years old. Granted I've been programming, doing server administration, and the likes for years and years, but I was able to understand the technical aspect of it.

I'm saving money for a new laptop...

Both the same haha.

Ah well, you beat me to posting, so its yours.

Good luck!

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
lulzplzkthx (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2012, 01:29:23 AM

Can we pay you obtain the router too? I might like to get one, but I don't feel like shopping around for the right router. Whatever you get, make sure it is very portable and has tons of flash + cpu etc.

I would be willing to find the best router for you, provided I know what your budget is. Give me a budget, I'll search around, probably offer you a couple different routers I found, and leave it up to you to make the choice. However, I currently don't have the cash to front the purchase for one, so you'd have to send payment for the router before I can send you the PirateBox.

Let me know! Smiley

I'm 16 years old, and got into Bitcoin when I was 15 years old. Granted I've been programming, doing server administration, and the likes for years and years, but I was able to understand the technical aspect of it.

Both the same haha.

Good luck!

Hehe, well, greetings fellow teenager-in-need of laptop. Smiley And thanks. Anyone who wants this can get it from this guy too. Smiley

rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 02:20:10 AM

I would be willing to find the best router for you, provided I know what your budget is. Give me a budget, I'll search around, probably offer you a couple different routers I found, and leave it up to you to make the choice. However, I currently don't have the cash to front the purchase for one, so you'd have to send payment for the router before I can send you the PirateBox.

Let me know! Smiley

Both the same haha.

Good luck!

Hehe, well, greetings fellow teenager-in-need of laptop. Smiley And thanks. Anyone who wants this can get it from this guy too. Smiley
OK, get me a price on the fastest and most capable pocket sized router. It needs to have at least one Ethernet port and one USB port, and wireless is a plus but not a requirement.

Also, for anyone that wants a laptop, I have a used one of these available: http://www.eurocom.com/products/showroom/specselectnew.cfm?model_id=202
12GB RAM, i7-980X, X58 chipset, nVidia GTX 280M, 17 inch 1920x1200 matte display, number pad, 3 megapixel webcam, 2x 220 watt power supplies, jet-engine fans, etc. The battery lasts 5 minutes, or 10 tops with all the power saving modes enabled. They actually refer to the battery as a UPS system, since that is essentially what it is - it is supposed to keep the thing on when it gets unplugged by accident. Grin $3200 OBO

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
lulzplzkthx (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2012, 02:27:40 AM

OK, get me a price on the fastest and most capable pocket sized router. It needs to have at least one Ethernet port and one USB port, and wireless is a plus but not a requirement.

Also, for anyone that wants a laptop, I have a used one of these available: http://www.eurocom.com/products/showroom/specselectnew.cfm?model_id=202
12GB RAM, i7-980X, X58 chipset, nVidia GTX 280M, 17 inch 1920x1200 matte display, number pad, 3 megapixel webcam, 2x 220 watt power supplies, jet-engine fans, etc. The battery lasts 5 minutes, or 10 tops with all the power saving modes enabled. They actually refer to the battery as a UPS system, since that is essentially what it is - it is supposed to keep the thing on when it gets unplugged by accident. Grin $3200 OBO

Holy crap, that machine is beautiful.

It's about time for me to head to sleep tonight, but I will research routers first thing tomorrow morning and send you a PM with what I find.

~lulzplzkthx

Garr255
Legendary

What's a GPU?

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 02:43:19 AM

I made one for bitdragon last night with one of these:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1C1_____enUS429US429&q=TP-Link+TL-MR3020&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=2799058461213749476&sa=X&ei=jpKkT7DYCfTciALpvLnDAg&ved=0CJMBEPMCMAI

I'm going to order one for myself soon too, so I wouldn't mind doing this for you as well xD

I also got a sufficient battery pack and voltage regulator... $10 more from amazon.

Because his flash drive hasn't arrived here yet, I took it to school and a few friends connected and we shared some pictures, music, and homework Tongue

Having this independent of walls will be very cool though Cheesy

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
ineededausername

Activity: 784

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 09:17:51 PM

Let me know! Smiley

Both the same haha.

Good luck!

12 cell battery lasts 10 minutes on that thing?  Shocked

(BFL)^2 < 0
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 09:20:48 PM

Well, it was closer to 45 minutes when it was new, but seems to have gotten worse. Remember, that is a 130 watt processor and a 100 watt video card at the very least.

Garr255
Legendary

What's a GPU?

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 09:32:31 PM

Well, it was closer to 45 minutes when it was new, but seems to have gotten worse. Remember, that is a 130 watt processor and a 100 watt video card at the very least.

Just carry a car battery around everywhere; no problem!

kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 06, 2012, 10:13:11 AM

Some marketing/selling tip: you can make this easier to buy, if you do all the work you can for the customer. Maybe assemble couple a different piratebox setups (for example, a cheap one with very basic router and little storage, and more expensive one with more storage).

Then list the products on bitmit.net and do a little bit of advertising by spamming the link around net. You will have soon the money for the laptop Wink

lulzplzkthx (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2012, 11:24:48 PM

Some marketing/selling tip: you can make this easier to buy, if you do all the work you can for the customer. Maybe assemble couple a different piratebox setups (for example, a cheap one with very basic router and little storage, and more expensive one with more storage).

Then list the products on bitmit.net and do a little bit of advertising by spamming the link around net. You will have soon the money for the laptop Wink

I agree, but as I've said already, I don't even have initial investment money currently. Sad

Also, I'm looking hard for a router for you rjk, but it's difficult to find one with your specifications. I'll keep looking around. Smiley

rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
May 06, 2012, 11:27:28 PM

I agree, but as I've said already, I don't even have initial investment money currently. Sad

Also, I'm looking hard for a router for you rjk, but it's difficult to find one with your specifications. I'll keep looking around. Smiley
Sorry, Garr255 was already building one for himself, so I just got him to order 2 of everything. Ended up using one of the little TP-links. But it would be good to see what you can do in the way of a compact and nice looking package, I'm sure if you had one finished with a pic that would help.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: