Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 11:29:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Would you prefer to buy/sell/store bitcoins in PayPal vs other companies given the option?
Yes - 10 (34.5%)
No - 19 (65.5%)
Total Voters: 29

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dear PayPal  (Read 1738 times)
WhatTheGox (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 09:12:24 AM

Would you prefer to buy/sell/store bitcoins in PayPal vs other companies given the option?
lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 09:24:17 AM

I wouldn't. They have reputation for being charge back by buyers. If I was a merchant, I would be scared that the bitcoin paid by customers in Paypal would be returned back.  As a customers, Paypay is accepting bitcoin payment through coinbase, bitpay, not directly processing the bitcoin payment. I would rather choose coinbase or bitpay to buy, sell and store bitcoins.
H.W.Z

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 09:27:58 AM

Easy for me. I don't need to go one exchange to another when I do transactions with bitcoin in Paypal. And I can pay bitcoin directly to the merchants from my account in Paypal if I hold a sum of bitcoin there.

runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 10:12:45 AM

I wouldn't. They have reputation for being charge back by buyers. If I was a merchant, I would be scared that the bitcoin paid by customers in Paypal would be returned back.  As a customers, Paypay is accepting bitcoin payment through coinbase, bitpay, not directly processing the bitcoin payment. I would rather choose coinbase or bitpay to buy, sell and store bitcoins.
Surely PayPal (and when it happens, eBay) will rely on huge red flag type disclaimers that simply say, "hey, if you pay in bitcoins and something goes wrong, your only recourse is to the merchant, not us".

Don't forget, a very large proportion of chargebacks are caused by people using stolen credit card details.  Not possible with Bitcoin.
ikydesu

Activity: 686

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2014, 10:27:21 AM

I wouldn't. They have reputation for being charge back by buyers. If I was a merchant, I would be scared that the bitcoin paid by customers in Paypal would be returned back.  As a customers, Paypay is accepting bitcoin payment through coinbase, bitpay, not directly processing the bitcoin payment. I would rather choose coinbase or bitpay to buy, sell and store bitcoins.
Surely PayPal (and when it happens, eBay) will rely on huge red flag type disclaimers that simply say, "hey, if you pay in bitcoins and something goes wrong, your only recourse is to the merchant, not us".

Don't forget, a very large proportion of chargebacks are caused by people using stolen credit card details.  Not possible with Bitcoin.

this is what i was afraid.

maybe most people see(I initially including), this great step for bitcoin. But i think again at the time, and this condition make me afraid.
newflesh

Activity: 630

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 10:32:22 AM

Would you prefer to buy/sell/store bitcoins in PayPal vs other companies given the option?

Not really, already got stung really hard with chargebacks so I'm pretty reluctant to go back to using Paypal (or Ebay for that matter).

RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2014, 10:56:12 AM

No.

Paypal for me is just a payment processor and I've had way to many problems with them in the past. They might be accepting bitcoins now but I do not see them as a main player in the bitcoin field in regards to providing wallets and the like as most of that will be done by a third party in any case.

Storing my bitcoins with Paypal will just not feel right, will feel like me banking all my cash at the local supermarket and not at the bank.
blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 11:17:33 AM

No.

Paypal for me is just a payment processor and I've had way to many problems with them in the past. They might be accepting bitcoins now but I do not see them as a main player in the bitcoin field in regards to providing wallets and the like as most of that will be done by a third party in any case.

Storing my bitcoins with Paypal will just not feel right, will feel like me banking all my cash at the local supermarket and not at the bank.
But it will feel right for the mainstream, and that is more important
jdany

Activity: 644

Inspired

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 11:23:17 AM

This is amazing.
We're watching the push (and pull) of bitcoin becoming gold and cash at the same time.
A store of value and a currency of exchange.

I'm not a big fan of Paypal's business practices - but, their adoption puts some major volume into the system.
fryarminer

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 12:17:40 PM

People who know my history know how much I despise PayPal. They are not welcome to incorporate bitcoin as far as I'm concerned.

fryarminer

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 12:20:30 PM

And for what it's worth, I trust no company, none - zero - ever - to store my bitcoin for me. Why would I?
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 07:19:05 PM

And for what it's worth, I trust no company, none - zero - ever - to store my bitcoin for me. Why would I?

This.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 07:53:44 PM

The only way that I would trust a company like paypal to hold the BTC is if our BTC was fully insured against fraudulent purchases and theft.   I don't think they will ever insure it for that.   If they somehow did offer that kind of insurance (just like FDIC), I would not be against leaving a small percentage of my holdings there.    Then you wouldn't have to worry about managing your private keys or keeping track of a tiny piece of paper with the recovery seed.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2014, 08:01:45 PM

I wouldn't. They have reputation for being charge back by buyers. If I was a merchant, I would be scared that the bitcoin paid by customers in Paypal would be returned back.  As a customers, Paypay is accepting bitcoin payment through coinbase, bitpay, not directly processing the bitcoin payment. I would rather choose coinbase or bitpay to buy, sell and store bitcoins.

i agree on that.

its good for the masses but i wouldnt store my bitcoins there.

WhatTheGox (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 08:10:25 PM

I think i should have been more careful with my wording, im not suggesting cold storage be moved to paypal but i did say the word storage.

I mean more would you prefer to use them vs other companies for your day to day bitcoining and a little short term storage here and there.
cozk

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 08:25:43 PM

At least they have the assets to repay what they ''lose''

Now for their chargebacks and other ToS scams thats another story and yes they are thief.
CryptoCarmen

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 08:34:46 PM

Paypal will steal your bitcoins. Dont trust them!
JLynn171

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 08:37:36 PM

I just wondering if they start accepting bitcoin if they will reopen the accounts that were terminated due to buying and selling btc in the past...
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 06:32:04 AM

I will wait and see. If their bitcoin services would be favorable, why not? If they offer something better than standard exchange markets I am in. I just need to see it first...
btcm4n14c

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 09:12:25 AM

Ill wait and see whats their plan.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: