Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:44:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Batch transactions  (Read 1737 times)
istar (OP)

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 12:34:44 PM

Solutions to make it easier to use Bitcoins securely when donating.

When you click a URI the client opens and you will probably need to write in your password to confirm the donation.
If you have a secure 2 part verification password this becomes tiresome.
You might even avoid donating because you do not care to unlock the client.

What if you instead could save the donation and sign it and several other donations later when you really need to login.

As you click a URI to donate you are presented with the choice.

"Store transaction and verify it later or login and verify it now."

This will make it easier to keep using a secure 2 step passwords process.
This could also be useful for Armory with Bitcoins kept in cold storage.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
etotheipi
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2012, 01:37:02 AM

Solutions to make it easier to use Bitcoins securely when donating.

When you click a URI the client opens and you will probably need to write in your password to confirm the donation.
If you have a secure 2 part verification password this becomes tiresome.
You might even avoid donating because you do not care to unlock the client.

What if you instead could save the donation and sign it and several other donations later when you really need to login.

As you click a URI to donate you are presented with the choice.

"Store transaction and verify it later or login and verify it now."

This will make it easier to keep using a secure 2 step passwords process.
This could also be useful for Armory with Bitcoins kept in cold storage.

I like the idea.  Not only does it save you some time for transactions that don't need to be sent right away, it saves some bytes in the blockchain by allowing you to combine them into a mulit-output transaction (which can save kilobytes depending on the transactions sizes and the make up of your wallet).  

I've thought about doing something similar in Armory, but it's been such low priority that I never really fleshed out the idea fully.  The only thing is that it adds a bit of complexity to the interface, so I have to make sure it adds more value than it adds user-confusion.  Probably need to have a list/table somewhere of "Queued" transactions and a button that says "Do it!"   Then there would be a "Add to queue" button next to the "Send" button on the send-bitcoins dialog.   And an occasional reminder pop-up that you have tx waiting.

Definitely an advanced feature, though...

I'm going to add it to my list, though it will remain low priority for a while.  However, desired this functionality myself, so I have some personal motivation to do it Smiley

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2012, 01:56:35 AM

I enjoy that feature with a simple utility I made for funding casascius coins. It queues the transactions I want to do, and then generates a "sendmany" command I just kick off from the command line.   It is fundamentally pretty simple, plus as I enter each transaction in the queue I have a chance to take it back if I have to, before actually committing to it. it also produces a transaction history that is much easier for me to work with.

With it I can also put in safeguards to make sure I don't fund the same coin twice.  And also keeps track of international orders so I just input any bitcoin address from an order and it drags that whole order into the queue.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: