Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 06:16:58 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The era of easy money IPO's over?  (Read 2477 times)
Gandi (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 05:07:16 PM

I invested in a couple of IPO's in the last month and both have lost me money. Wondering if this era of making money in IPO's is over. Either they are crap and no one invests or lots of people invest and their is a rush for exists as soon as it hits an exchange.
fakeshadow

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 05:14:11 PM

I invested in a couple of IPO's in the last month and both have lost me money. Wondering if this era of making money in IPO's is over. Either they are crap and no one invests or lots of people invest and their is a rush for exists as soon as it hits an exchange.

because most of them are scams.
the scammers used to take money and run.but now they get their coins listed on exchanges,bought themselves and dump all.
nomoreheroes7

Activity: 326

King of all the land

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 05:18:00 PM

...and their is a rush for exists as soon as it hits an exchange.

There's the easy money right there. Happens every time.
Gandi (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 05:27:10 PM

because most of them are scams.
the scammers used to take money and run.but now they get their coins listed on exchanges,bought themselves and dump all.

It's seems like the position to take these days is not invest in the IPO and buy after the first dump. I've had some limited success doing just that recently.
devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 05:28:26 PM

Which ones did you invest in?
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 05:30:46 PM

Much of the present IPO crop is setting themselves up for a fall. They're asking far too much money for something that starts off as vapour.

NEM, Node and plenty of other examples showed how it should be done. Ground up is a healthier way to roll.
Yeni78

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 05:35:03 PM

The problem is that most of them are scams and the ones that aren't are overpriced. For example, I believe Etherium raised 15m. So the Etherium marketcap is already at 15m and it hasn't even launched yet. Now go look at Coinmarketcap. How many coins have a marketcap above 10m?

So you see, even though there is a chance something like Etherium will go much higher, when it is given such a high marketcap right off the bat there is a very high chance that the price will drop upon release.

Same things happen in the stock world. Look at Facebook. And now Ali Baba. I guarantee at some point people will be buying shares substantially lower than the IPO price.

Bottom line - avoid IPOs, if you are interested in the coin wait until it is launched on an exchange because more than likely you will get it at cheaper than IPO prices.

Gandi (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 05:39:59 PM

Much of the present IPO crop is setting themselves up for a fall. They're asking far too much money for something that starts off as vapour.

NEM, Node and plenty of other examples showed how it should be done. Ground up is a healthier way to roll.

I don't see NODE as a success. It's floundering pretty low down the Coinmarketcap list for a second generation coin.

I wonder if NEM will also be a dumpfest.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 05:45:44 PM

I don't see NODE as a success. It's floundering pretty low down the Coinmarketcap list for a second generation coin.

But folks didn't have to lay out significant amounts of money to get in on the ground floor. It was free for the very earliest.

That surely does set things up for a short term dumpfest but I think they'll both have legs.
coinmaster222

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 05:47:57 PM

IPO's is the easiest way to say goodbye to your money here in the bitcoin world. Think of it like that, there are 2 options:

1. Coin developers fail to complete the promises, go away with the IPO founds giving investors from little to nothing compared to what they promised.
2. IPO is successful, people rush to exchanges for a quick buck dumping their coins and lead the price to dust.

So unless you're looking for longterm profitability, IPO's are not going to give you easy money. (Exceptions always exist.)

Yeni78

Activity: 82

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 05:52:54 PM

But folks didn't have to lay out significant amounts of money to get in on the ground floor. It was free for the very earliest.

That surely does set things up for a short term dumpfest but I think they'll both have legs.

I agree, they'll both have legs.

Another perfect example that illustrates how it is always best to wait for the dumpfest as soon as the coin hits an exchange.
vanobe

Activity: 164
Merit: 37

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 06:00:32 PM

There have been a multitude of IPOs that sound like they are for groundbreaking 2.0 coins, but turn out to be for cut and paste shit coins. I doubt people will fall for them any more because once bitten, twice shy.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 06:03:31 PM

it's a resetting time, this will end when everyone will forget about mining
bigogiant

Activity: 62

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 06:32:33 PM

Hopefully the time of those endless IPO's is over.

Most of them were just to enrich the devs.

Devs who just copied other coins.

illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 06:58:14 PM

Who would be the first to sell below the IPO price?

Someone who didn't pay the IPO price for the coins.

Who could that be?
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2014, 03:28:03 PM

The reason this is happening is people finally start to notice that IPO's are not profitable so they just let them dive first before they start investing in any.

In other words people start to learn.

Believe it or not, that's normal for the stock market - to the point where there's a market slogan that covers it: "In the stock market, 'used' is better than 'new.'" Case in point: there was a time when you could pick up shares of Facebook for around $25.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

zerocashdev

Activity: 392
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 03:47:03 PM

It's not the ipo's that are impatient and rush to exchange and dump for lower than what they paid for it. Why would anyone do that unless they really needed btc for some other reason and didn't have it at that moment. It should be the exception rather than the rule. Seems most dump right away.
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 03:50:24 PM

Who would be the first to sell below the IPO price?

Someone who didn't pay the IPO price for the coins.

Who could that be?
In all seriousness, did anyone make any money with the Ethereum IPO? I haven't invested in any IPO because I just cant trust any. But IPO scams will exists forever since there will be fools forever.
Nexxie

Activity: 93

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 03:54:18 PM

You just need more patience.
The development of these coins takes time. E.g. NODE.
They have some really great features (instant transaction speed, different and versatile program language, etc.).
Everybody thinks they will be rich after each IPO.
It might take one to three years before all these coins start taking off, when the masses get interested in crypto.
It took early bitcoin and NXT investors also several month's before they made a fortune.
Also many of them lost fortunes by selling way to early.
The crypto scene is still in it's infancy.
You only lose money when you sell at lower prices than you paid for.
If you hold on them for the long run, you will be rewarded big time.
Off course there are a lot of scams and sh**coins but there also a lot of promising coins that will succeed for sure.

SomethingElse

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Looking for the next big thing

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 05:26:09 PM

The Node IPO actually slipped past me, but nobody could really miss the NEM IPO.  I am pretty excited about it because I think it is the first time every in crypto that something like this is being tried.  I honestly don't know if it will be a dump or buy.  Of course some of both will be happening.  It is a very exciting time.

NEM
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: